Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We don't NEED an elite corner « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 02, 2013, 04:34:16 PM

Chris Culliver is way better than EJ Biggers. We might not end up with a Revis-type elite corner but ones we have at this point are far from decent and upgrades are needed.

He looks better because he has a better pass rush helping him out. He doesn't really look like anything special though. Definitely not as talented as a lot team's starting CBs.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 02, 2013, 04:36:16 PM

Chris Culliver is way better than EJ Biggers. We might not end up with a Revis-type elite corner but ones we have at this point are far from decent and upgrades are needed.

He looks better because he has a better pass rush helping him out. He doesn't really look like anything special though. Definitely not as talented as a lot team's starting CBs.

He would be our best corner but I know that's not saying much.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 02, 2013, 05:08:47 PM

We might not need it , but it sure wouldn't hurt....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 02, 2013, 05:33:07 PM

Elite CBs tend to be too pricey to fall in love with. Notice the salary breakdown for the Super Bowl contenders this year. 

http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1303008.0.html

Good, experienced corners will get the job done IF they have a good pass rush in front of them. We didn't last season.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#19 : February 02, 2013, 05:57:32 PM

A starting quality nose tackle would help us leaps and bounds as well. Gerald McCoy is one of the best defensive tackles in the entire league and would look even better if there was somebody also talented to play right next to him. Roy Miller is a good backup but shouldn't be re-signed to be our starter for the long-term.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 02, 2013, 06:19:33 PM

Unless we change the scheme we absolutely need at least one elite corner

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 02, 2013, 10:02:52 PM

Historically, here are the CB's drafted by the Bucs in the first 3 rounds:

Round 3:
    Jeremiah Castille ('83)
    Fred Acorn ('84)            *** Never even HEARD of this guy!
    Donnie Abraham ('96)
    Ronde Barber ('97)
    Dwight Smith ('01)
    Myron Lewis ('10)

Round 2:
    Ricky Reynolds ('87)
    Brian Kelly ('98)

Round 1:
    Rod Jones ('86)
    Aqib Talib ('08)

Mike Washington, one of our top CBs, was picked in the 3rd round by the Colts in '75, traded to the Bucs in '76.

One could argue we're due to draft an elite CB, but I'd hesitate to hold my breath  ;D

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 03, 2013, 12:38:50 PM

I agree that the Bucs don't need an elite corner. I don't think it's possible to fully gauge a CB's abilities without a good pass rush. I think the difference between a good and great CB is the extra second a QB gets. I think it's likely that the team brings in a FA CB and a rookie CB. Between those players, Johnson and Biggers, the team will be fine as long as the line forces the QB to get rid of the ball.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 03, 2013, 12:57:14 PM

If think your forgeting about the 9ers pass rush. thats why you can have Rogers and those other dudes at CB..

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 04, 2013, 08:13:28 AM

Agreed, you don't need elite corners, but you do need guys who are in the B- to B+ range. We had C- guys this year and it showed big time.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : February 04, 2013, 10:51:54 AM

I agree that the Bucs don't need an elite corner. I don't think it's possible to fully gauge a CB's abilities without a good pass rush. I think the difference between a good and great CB is the extra second a QB gets. I think it's likely that the team brings in a FA CB and a rookie CB. Between those players, Johnson and Biggers, the team will be fine as long as the line forces the QB to get rid of the ball.

I think you have that reversed.  The great CBs hold up an extra second to let the pass rush get there. Great pass rushers can help you get by with average CBs while elite CBs can help average pass rushers look better.  We do not need Revis level CBs. Would I take one...sure. We just need to get guys who are reliable enough that we aren't getting torched each and every play.

In the end there are a lot of teams with bad to mediocre CBs out there. I'm not sure I can name the CBs for the Titans or Raiders but those teams gave up 800 and 1000 yards fewer passing than we did.  Scheme here was a big part of the problem.  Talent ensured we'd nev be anything other than a bottom 10 pass defense but coaching made us 32nd.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#26 : February 04, 2013, 11:00:08 AM

Coverage sacks do happen and agree that great DBs can help the pass rush, I just don't agree that it's more than the reverse. I think a guy like JJ Watt makes average DBs good and good DBs great, whereas Leon Sandcastle can only take out his man. He can't keep a QB from getting rid of the ball quickly to the TE or the opposite side of the field.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 04, 2013, 11:11:43 AM

Agreed, you don't need elite corners, but you do need guys who are in the B- to B+ range. We had C- guys this year and it showed big time.

You would give them a C-? They aren't even F material, we have to come up with another letter to grade them by.

We'll do much better if even a couple of C- guys get signed.

All I really want is someone who can at least compete with this division's QB's and WR's. Just think, whatever corners we have will have to face brees, Ryan, cam, and their receivers, jj, white, smith, colston, etc. To get "over the hump" they have to sign worthy players at that position. In other words, we have to take something away from them.

It was a glaring problem for them this season, and defensively, it WILL NOT WORK without a island-covering corner. The system is designed for penetration, not coverage, so there is a disadvantage on defense before they ever step foot on the field, especially if there isn't a good corner in he lot. Think of how many times we lost games because their main wr got open too often. Schiano cannot, and will not succeed in the NFL with this type of defense if he does little about this position.

Everyone can talk a big game with x corner being "good for the run-stopping game plan of schiano's," but what this system really needs that Guy who can compete with anyone all by his lonesome. It's not like the run defense would get worse anyway, since mostly everyone attributes that #1 to McCoy, David, and for some reason, miller.

Besides, I'd rather they become the number 10 overall run defense, as long as it meant they had the number 10 overall pass defense. We've seen how well excelling at one, but not the other has "helped" Tampa. Balance on a football team is a very good thing. And IF we can keep that same run defense, and fix this horrible pass defense, we'll be watching the bucs in playoffs.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#28 : February 04, 2013, 12:46:40 PM

OP, I couldnt disagree more. Yes, a Revis-level corner would be a luxury, but this position needs addressing WAY more than WR or OT as you say early in the draft. We are not double dipping corners in FA, though I wouldnt be against it.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#29 : February 04, 2013, 01:44:11 PM

OP, I couldnt disagree more. Yes, a Revis-level corner would be a luxury, but this position needs addressing WAY more than WR or OT as you say early in the draft. We are not double dipping corners in FA, though I wouldnt be against it.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but if they do sign two good FAs before draft, it would allow them to draft BPA.That would allow Tampa a solid replacement for black, possibly pick up Barkley(for backup until freeman proves otherwise), or add more weapons on the DL.

Trading for revis would be good also, but it comes with it's obvious risks and costs.

I like both scenarios very much, but out of the draft, the only corner I would "risk" taking at 13 would be banks. He has so much potential, it's worth the investment.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We don't NEED an elite corner « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools