Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Justin Hunter « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Tommy

Starter

#15 : February 03, 2013, 08:25:54 AM

Well Patterson is projected to be a top 20 pick.....so I don't see why it matters if he's better. We ain't takin a WR in the first.

Agree. This year's talent at those positions looks like the real deal.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 03, 2013, 08:59:23 AM

Walter Football had him ranked as the fifth WR, so I thought there was a chance he might make it to the third. Oh well. He seems like he'd make a pretty good eventual successor to Vincent Jackson.

Ready for math?  ;D

If you look back over the past decade, there is an average of 5.3 WRs with 1st or 2nd round grades, but an average of 8.9 WRs are taken in the first two rounds. This year, there are 12 or 13 receivers with 1st/2nd round grades, and about 6 more who are currently 3rd round prospects, but could be considered 2nd round guys by draft day....so you can only assume that with that exceptional amount of receivers having a 1st/2nd round grade, there will likely be an exceptional amount of receivers taken early this year. The numbers say there will be around 15 receivers taken in the first two rounds. I could be wrong, but just following the averages, I think there will be a record number of receivers drafted in the first 64 selections this year.

Keenan Allen
Cordarrelle Patterson
DeAndre Hopkins
Travon Austin
Robert Woods
Terrence Williams
Aaron Dobson
Stedman Bailey
Justin Hunter
Da'Rick Rogers
Kenny Stills
Quinton Patton
Cobi Hamilton

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 03, 2013, 09:21:38 AM

Hey, I'd be cool with that. Take a ton of WRs, RBs, QBs and LBs in the first few rounds and leave the other positions to the Bucs. :)

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#18 : February 03, 2013, 11:40:16 AM

I think this years draft has an impressive crop of wide receivers and tight ends. I'm hopeful we come with one of each in the first four rounds, whether it is considered a need or not.
I don't see how anyone could consider a TE to not be a need.  I'm sick of watching TEs all over the league lighting it up when our TEs are a no show.  In FA or the draft, doesnt matter to me but I want a real TE this offseason. 

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#19 : February 03, 2013, 11:45:00 AM

I think we need a TE too, but this was the first and only recent year we didn't have a top receiving TE. You make it sound like it's been a problem for years! Lol

zsmith22

Starter

#20 : February 03, 2013, 11:51:29 AM

Zach Ertz, Martellus Bennett, Jordan Reed, and possibly Jared Cook could all fix our TE problems. We need to get one of these guys

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 03, 2013, 12:41:32 PM

Tyler Eifert, Travis Kelce, Dion Sims, Joseph Fauria, Gavin Escobar, Levine Toilolo, Vance McDonald.....there are a lot more options than those four guys you listed. It is a good year to get a TE, maybe even two!

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#22 : February 03, 2013, 12:47:52 PM

I think we need a TE too, but this was the first and only recent year we didn't have a top receiving TE. You make it sound like it's been a problem for years! Lol
Really?  Please tell me about that long list of probowl type TEs that have played for the Bucs.  And please don't include Winslow on that list.  That guy was a cancer, anything but a team player.  I want a Gronk a Witten a Gonzalez.  A difference maker.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#23 : February 03, 2013, 02:10:40 PM

Everyone wants a Gronk, Witten or Gonzalez, and not just at TE, but at all of the various positions. It's just not possible to have a top five player in every role. That's why positions have to be prioritized. I'm still not convinced TE is position where a superstar is needed in this offense.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#24 : February 03, 2013, 02:42:24 PM

Everyone wants a Gronk, Witten or Gonzalez, and not just at TE, but at all of the various positions. It's just not possible to have a top five player in every role. That's why positions have to be prioritized. I'm still not convinced TE is position where a superstar is needed in this offense.

Agreed.  Stocker is adequate.  If an upgrade is available in the mid/late rounds, then great.  But using a first/second on TE is beyond stupid.  Freeman has plenty of weapon to overthrow at the moment.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 03, 2013, 02:53:03 PM

Really?  Please tell me about that long list of probowl type TEs that have played for the Bucs.  And please don't include Winslow on that list.  That guy was a cancer, anything but a team player.  I want a Gronk a Witten a Gonzalez.  A difference maker.

Ok, but first give me a list of things your breath, and don't include oxygen.

First, I didn't say the entire history of the Buccaneers. I said RECENT history. and for three years recently, Winslow was a top 5 receiving TE for us. Maybe top 3. Who cares if he is a cancer or a team player? That is a completely different subject and has nothing to do with my comment or the point it was making. He was a difference maker for us at TE for 2009, 2010, and 2011. Sorry you didn't notice.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#26 : February 03, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

There's no doubt Winslow had more than enough talent.  It's to bad he didn't have the mentality to go with those talents.  But we knew his history when we brought him in.  The guy could've been one of the best.  Stocker is adequate.  That doesn't work for me.  Maybe he will pan out, we'll see.  And could it be we don't use a TE much because of lack of talent.  I also don't want to use a high draft pick on a TE., I'd like to bring in Bennett and see if he's the answer.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Justin Hunter « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools