Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Only one NFC South team will make the playoffs next season « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 06, 2013, 12:01:15 AM »

First look ahead to next season

February, 5, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

The season is over, so you know what that means. The first wave of predictions for the 2013 season have hit the streets.

Check out this Insider post that predicts next season’s playoff field and records for all teams. Not surprisingly, the Atlanta Falcons are the only NFC South team to make this playoff projection.

Despite what happened in the NFC Championship Game, Atlanta sure looks like a playoff team. There undoubtedly will be a few tweaks to the roster, but the nucleus of a playoff team is in place.

You can’t say the same with any degree of certainty about the other three NFC South teams right now. But this projection has two of those teams on the cusp of the playoffs. It has the Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints both going 9-7 and just missing the playoffs.

I could see that and I could also see either one of those teams doing better than that and making the playoffs. But it’s too early to get a strong read on either team. We know New Orleans will have a strong offense and coach Sean Payton is back, but we still don’t know what the defense will look like or who will be running it.

Carolina has plenty of talent on its roster and a quick turnaround could come if the Panthers can win some of the close games they lost this past season. But the Panthers have major salary-cap problems and I want to see what this roster looks like when the team gets under the cap before even thinking about what next season’s record will be.

The projection also has the Tampa Bay Buccaneers going 7-9, the same record they posted in 2012. I think something close to that is possible. But I think the Bucs, who were 6-4 at one point last year, could climb into the playoff race if they can fix their defensive secondary.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 06, 2013, 12:05:51 AM »

I can understand how the Saints would be viewed as better, but why the Panthers? Same old garbage.

In Verner We Trust

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #2 : February 06, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »

Only one. The Tampa Bay Bucs. Duh.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 06, 2013, 02:33:17 AM »

the draft and free agency haven't even happened yet, it's way too early to be making predictions about next year

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 06, 2013, 02:42:54 AM »

Falcons

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 06, 2013, 02:55:48 AM »

Any team in the NFC south doing well wouldn't surprise me. Cam Newton has somehow become underrated because of guys like RG3, Russell Wilson, and Kaepernick - he's still more talented than any of them.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 06, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »

Any team in the NFC south doing well wouldn't surprise me. Cam Newton has somehow become underrated because of guys like RG3, Russell Wilson, and Kaepernick - he's still more talented than any of them.

He finished the year really strong and was overlooked because there were a couple new guys in town.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 06, 2013, 08:17:28 AM »

Freeman is still the worst QB in the NFC South.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #8 : February 06, 2013, 09:27:39 AM »

Newton is more inconsistent that Freeman and he doesn't nearly have as much upside as a passing QB. He is great with his feet though, but that wont last too long.

Knucknbuc

Pro Bowler

« #9 : February 06, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »

Newton? aint gonna do **CENSORED** next year with mike shula as oc.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 06, 2013, 10:44:19 AM »

Unfortunately, if only one team from the NFCS makes it to the postseason, it will most likely be the Saints..

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #11 : February 06, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »

Not the Saints with the switch to the 3-4.  If just one, I have to go with our good ol' Buccaneers.  Bucs continue their rise...offense keeps improving, D plays better against the pass...playoffs!
Falcons : probably make it on a wildcard
Panthers : make it to 8-8
Saints struggle to 6-10 as their defense loses too many shootouts. 

NFCS edges out the up-and-coming NFCW for toughest division in the NFC.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 06, 2013, 09:03:11 PM »

Unfortunately, if only one team from the NFCS makes it to the postseason, it will most likely be the Saints..

Lotta change going on over there.  I think it may be a down year for them.  Payton coming back, new DC, switch to the 3-4.  And Brees is not getting any younger.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #13 : February 06, 2013, 09:38:52 PM »

Lotta change going on over there.  I think it may be a down year for them.  Payton coming back, new DC, switch to the 3-4.  And Brees is not getting any younger.

I don't think so. They just had a down year...I don't see Brees/Payton letting the Saints be sub .500 again. I also don't see their defense being any worse than it has been the last few years. I certainly hope they suck, but I just don't see it.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #14 : February 06, 2013, 10:37:12 PM »

One of the problems for the Saints is not only are they going through big changes to their D, but the other teams in the division are all on the rise.  ATL, CAR, and TAMPA are 6 tough games, before you even consider the rest of the schedule.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Only one NFC South team will make the playoffs next season « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools