Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Only one NFC South team will make the playoffs next season « previous next »
Page: 1 2

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 06, 2013, 10:49:49 PM

One of the problems for the Saints is not only are they going through big changes to their D, but the other teams in the division are all on the rise.  ATL, CAR, and TAMPA are 6 tough games, before you even consider the rest of the schedule.

I think you are slightly overstating the "on the rise" of CAR, ATL, and the Bucs. Carolina is in cap hell and has a QB who can be just as frustrating and inconsistent as Freeman. ATL will probably be without one of their big 3 receiving threats, and their defense is nothing to write home about. Their best young defender(arguably) in Witherspoon plays no better than Mason Foster, imo. Then the Bucs have a lot of potential, but still have a long way to go defensively and have to prove offensively that those 5-6 games in the middle of last year, was no fluke.

New Orleans on the other hand still has their OL intact, Breed, a nice stable of RBs, a beast TE, good WRs, and their playcaller returns. They will have to outscore most of their opponents, which is nothing new to this team.

I hate the Saints the most out of any NFL team, but I think they probably win the division next year.
: February 06, 2013, 10:52:42 PM chace1986

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#16 : February 06, 2013, 11:19:37 PM

Well, I've got to give it to you chace, sticking to your guns.  I like the guns on your sigpics better than these ones regarding the Saints.  :P  I know you hope you are wrong, too, though, so I don't hold nothing against you. 

I definitely think getting Payton back is going to be big for them.  Especially for the offense, which has always been scary good.  I even heard an interview with Unitas' son(who is making a movie about his dad, and wanted D. Brees to play him under the helmet in the game clips).  Brees, though honored and thrilled, eventually had to say no, because this offseason was the most important, in terms of getting together with Payton and working on next year.  I've always liked Brees, despite his playing for our rivals.  When I think about it a little more, their defense really can't be much worse switching to a 3-4 than they were this past year. . .Still, I can't throw my pick on the Saints, no matter how much sense it might make.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 07, 2013, 01:38:16 AM

From my perspective (for now) it looks like this...

Falcons - Are aging and will sooner or later have a huge drop off. I'm thinking for some reason (all those games won off PI and one score games) they will probably have their meltdown fairly soon. Im not sure what Gonzo has said yet, but if he retires, that offense won't be quite as lethal. Still, they represented their division and have had a few good seasons as of late. It's not weird to think they could do it again.

Bucs - if their offense can be as dominate as the midway point last season, and they improve the pass defense, the sky is the limit. Josh Freeman's "gloved" hand and a better cornerback core are the keys to the bucs success. One hand washes the other in this situation though. If JF gets little help from FO regarding improvements in the cornerback position, the season will be just as good as last season or maybe even worse. Afterall, what is the point in going out and getting Vincent Jackson if everyone else's WR LOOK like vj playing against them? Mostly though, in this part of the year so far, I believe they'll be second in the division.

Saints - I don't think they ever get their swagger back. Downhill from here, and many players will use goodell as scapegoat. Bold claim, I know.

Panthers - with cap issues, and cam not exactly a "superman" mentially, I think there is a good chance they slide to the bottom. They have the talent, but I seriously question most of their players mentalities. I normally would say they would have a chance if they put it together, but they won't.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 07, 2013, 01:43:25 AM

Three playoff teams from the NFCS next season. Carolina or the fowlgoons will watch the games on tv.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Only one NFC South team will make the playoffs next season « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools