Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The $75.8 million offense « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 06, 2013, 12:02:07 AM »

The $75.8 million offense

February, 5, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

No team spent more on offense in 2012 than the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to this chart that breaks down how much teams spent on each side of the ball.

Tampa Bay spent a whopping $75.8 million on offense, and the result wasn’t exactly the “Greatest Show on Turf.’’ Rookie running back Doug Martin had a very nice season, and quarterback Josh Freeman set a bunch of franchise records. The offense did some nice things at times, but it wasn’t very consistent. No other team spent more on offense, but Tampa Bay’s figure might have been a little skewed by the front-loaded contracts the Bucs gave guard Carl Nicks and receiver Vincent Jackson in free agency.

The Bucs spent only $41.9 million on defense, and the disparity showed. If Tampa Bay wants to be a playoff contender in 2013, it’s going to need to spend some more on defense, particularly in the secondary.

The Atlanta Falcons also had a disparity in their spending between offense and defense. They paid $66.8 million to their offensive players and $50.3 to their defensive players. I don’t expect that to change too much in 2013, because the Falcons have high-priced receivers in Roddy White and Julio Jones, and quarterback Matt Ryan probably will get a hefty contract extension sometime this offseason.

The other two NFC South teams were fairly balanced in their 2012 spending. The New Orleans Saints paid their offensive players $53.1 million and their defensive players $53.9 million. Although the Saints obviously need to improve their defense, I don’t anticipate their spending pattern changing much in 2013. They’ll add some defensive players, but it’s likely they’ll be parting ways with some high-priced defensive veterans to get under the cap.

The Carolina Panthers paid $55.6 million to their offense and $57.4 million to their defense. I’d expect a similar balance in 2013, but the Panthers are going to have to trim on both sides of the ball, because they’re about $16 million over the expected cap.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 06, 2013, 09:10:45 AM »

Don´t resign Clark, trade Penn and Joseph for picks. Save some money, get younger NOW!
« : February 06, 2013, 09:13:53 AM Rusty »

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 06, 2013, 09:12:30 AM »

People like to give Freeman too much credit for his stats.  Fact is this team has spent a fortune on offense at the expense of the defense and he's STILL mediocre to poor.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 06, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »

Don´t resign Clark, trade Penn and Joseph for picks. Save some money, get younger NOW!

I believe we could get away with trading one of them.

I was thinking that they should try to use Penn as bait for a revis trade, but I'm not sure how much they would actually need him.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 06, 2013, 01:17:48 PM »

People like to give Freeman too much credit for his stats.  Fact is this team has spent a fortune on offense at the expense of the defense and he's STILL mediocre to poor.
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with Java for once.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 06, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »

This offense must be elite in order for us to have any serious post season expectations. We could use an upgrade at TE, but other than that it's all on Freeman. It is absolutely time to **CENSORED** or get off the pot.
« : February 06, 2013, 01:36:12 PM Illuminator »

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

RiotHeart

Starter

« #6 : February 06, 2013, 02:30:55 PM »

How much of that was on IR and/or the bench, just curious and on the cell.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 06, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »

Given the injuries, we have yet to really see the full offense. Not sure how much $$$-wise actually spent much time on the field...
    It will be interesting to see if we bring Dallas Clark back; I somehow doubt it. We might bring Blount back as he's still young, but that's no given either...

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

« #8 : February 06, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »

This offense must be elite in order for us to have any serious post season expectations. We could use an upgrade at TE, but other than that it's all on Freeman. It is absolutely time to **CENSORED** or get off the pot.

+1

smithcar

Starter

« #9 : February 06, 2013, 10:05:14 PM »

How is it that New Orleans offence paid 53.1? Didn't Brees make over 20? I am sure Colston is getting a decent wage as well, does nobody else on that team make any money?

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #10 : February 06, 2013, 10:08:49 PM »

Penn and Joseph make too much for their contributions

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #11 : February 06, 2013, 10:17:35 PM »

How is it that New Orleans offence paid 53.1? Didn't Brees make over 20? I am sure Colston is getting a decent wage as well, does nobody else on that team make any money?

Who're they gonna give it to?  Mark Ingram?  Pierre Thomas?  Chris Ivory?  Lance Moore?  Devery Henderson?  Joe Morgan?  Jermon Bushrod?  Ben Grubbs?  Brian De La Puente?  Zach Strief?

The only household names on the Saints offense are Brees, Sproles, Colston, Evans, and Graham.  Brees and Sproles were free agents.  Colston, Evans, and Graham were all third-day draft choices.  As sad as it is, the Saints have been shredding our defense with Brees (plus or minus a few key contributors) and a crew of nobodies for seven seasons.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 06, 2013, 10:23:31 PM »

I could see an all "defense" draft.   Even more so if they sign both Bennett's ahead of time.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #13 : February 06, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »

The Anti-Java:
"I could see an all "defense" draft."

Does the mean you expect Freeman to get worse and we need more people to blame?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #14 : February 06, 2013, 10:34:07 PM »

The Anti-Java:
"I could see an all "defense" draft."

Does the mean you expect Freeman to get worse and we need more people to blame?

No, I expect him to put it all together, in his final contract year.   They already gave him pretty much all he needs on offense.  Now they shore up the D for him.  And if that doesn't work.....sayonara Baby !

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The $75.8 million offense « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools