Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 Free Agent Profile: Mike Jenkins, Cornerback, Dallas Cowboys « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 07, 2013, 12:16:31 AM »

2013 Free Agent Profile: Mike Jenkins, Cornerback, Dallas Cowboys

Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:39 pm
 by Leo Howell
2013 NFL Draft

The Buccaneers are in the discussion to pursue virtually every cornerback on the market this offseason. From Dee Milliner of Alabama to Sean Smith of the Dolphins, Tampa Bay has been noted as a possible destination for them all. Our mock drafts and free agent profiles on The Pewter Plank this offseason have featured cornerbacks, and we realize this is an area most Buccaneer fans want to see drastic improvement.

Most websites have Aqib Talib as one of the best corners available this offseason. He’s obviously not going to be returning to Tampa any time soon, so Mark Dominik will have to consider other options. A possibility comes from Dallas, as Cowboy cornerback Mike Jenkins is a free agent this offseason. Jenkins is a former USF Bull, and his ability to play cornerback means the Buccaneers should welcome him back to the Bay area with open arms, if the price is right.

Jenkins isn’t the tallest corner, at 5 feet, 10 inches tall. He weighs in around 200 pounds, so he does have some weight to use as leverage. He is strong, and doesn’t back down from a challenge against a receiver. He’s got the ball skills and enough speed to keep up with faster receivers and make big plays down the field.See an example here, as he does his best Ronde Barber imitation and picks off Donovan McNabb.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8140cde5/Mike-Jenkins-INT

The Cowboys’ additions of Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne this past offseason bumped Jenkins out of his starting spot, but it’s not clear why. The Cowboys aren’t always known for logical player personnel decisions, but to bring in Brandon Carr to replace Mike Jenkins didn’t seem to be the drastic upgrade that justifies bumping a first round pick from the starting lineup. According to Football Outsiders’ advanced stats from 2011, Jenkins gave up fewer yards per play and had a higher success rate in terms of getting stops as compared to Carr.

So what makes Jenkins stand out? He’s likely to be just as good as Sean Smith or other top free agents, but come at a cheaper cost. He’s been slightly unfairly pushed to the sidelines, and deserves a second chance. And who knows, maybe a return to Raymond James would remind him of his days at South Florida when he led one of the most ferocious defenses in college football. If Jenkins is available for a reasonable price (up to what was paid for Eric Wright seems reasonable), he would be a valuable addition to the Buccaneer defense.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/02/06/2013-free-agent-profile-mike-jenkins-cornerback-dallas-cowboys/
« : February 07, 2013, 12:50:51 AM michael89156 »

pancake block

Starter

« #1 : February 07, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »

he completely gave up on an easy tackle of derrick ward of the giants...total wuss,not bucc material

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #2 : February 07, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »

Do Not Want

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #3 : February 07, 2013, 11:46:50 AM »

He has to be better than what we had. A change of scenery might be just what he needs. I'm sure Dominik can structure a contract that would be fair to him and to the team. He's worth a look.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

« #4 : February 07, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »

pancake, if tackling were a prerequisite to lineup in our defensive backfiled, EJ Biggers would have been gone long ago. EJ Biggers' tackling skills make Mike Jenkins look like **CENSORED** Butkus.

Not sure how Youngone would say do not want. Do you want another season of waiver wire players again? He would immediately be our best corner. We need to upgrade big time back there.

I like Jenkins. He has been injured a lot the past few seasons and has played hurt. He isn't a bonafide #1 but he would greatly improve our situation.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #5 : February 07, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »

pancake, if tackling were a prerequisite to lineup in our defensive backfiled, EJ Biggers would have been gone long ago. EJ Biggers' tackling skills make Mike Jenkins look like **CENSORED** Butkus.

Not sure how Youngone would say do not want. Do you want another season of waiver wire players again? He would immediately be our best corner. We need to upgrade big time back there.

I like Jenkins. He has been injured a lot the past few seasons and has played hurt. He isn't a bonafide #1 but he would greatly improve our situation.
It's the start of the offseason, now is not the time to settle for garbage. Maybe after the other top CBs are signed elsewhere then I would probably want him more because we can do a lot better than Mike Jenkins. The "he would immediately be our best corner" argument shouldn't mean anything right now because if Eric Wright comes back he would be our "best corner" and I don't want him either.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #6 : February 07, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »

Ya know, I really would't mind me some Jenkins and there are two reasons why. He would be better than any other CB currently on the roster. He won't be the only big name CB they would bring in.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 07, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »

He is an ok player, but hopefully they aim higher.  Try for a couple free agent CB's,  see what is available in the first couple rounds of the draft.  If they struck out there, then maybe this dude would be an option later on.  I don't think his phone will be ringing off the hook, the minute free agency starts.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Jutt

Starter
« #8 : February 07, 2013, 10:30:41 PM »

I wouldnt mind bringing in dude for the cheap. All of the CBs for Dallas have been ass for a few seasons now. I feel like he can still play, maybe coming back to Tampa will be a good look
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 Free Agent Profile: Mike Jenkins, Cornerback, Dallas Cowboys « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools