Boards > The Red Board

Blizzard highlights looming game of Super Bowl roulette

(1/3) > >>

Morgan:
Bucs won't be there, most likely, so I hope that next years' Super Bowl gets hit hard. Dumb idea to hold it in New Jersey.

When the NFL was forced to move from Sunday to Tuesday a prime-time game between the Vikings and Eagles due to a looming blizzard in Philadelphia, we asked the NFL whether there were any second thoughts about hosting a Super Bowl in an open-air New Jersey stadium.

“We are the ultimate reality show,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said at the time.

He’s right.  And the blizzard bearing down on the region demonstrates how real it could be.

Despite the huffing and puffing from the powers-that-be regarding the plans for Super Bowl XLVIII, there’s no way to know whether another blizzard will hit the region on game day until the game approaches.  And while that will create plenty of additional interest as February 2, 2014 approaches, the end result could be a lot worse than a 34-minute power outage.

Really, if the blizzard that hit Philly in late December 2010 was enough to bump a regular-season game by two days, what will a direct hit from a major winter storm do to the league’s annual marquee event?

Chances are it will be fine.  By why take an avoidable risk?

In fairness to the league, all has gone mostly well before, via the quid pro quo Super Bowls awarded when new stadiums were built in Minneapolis, Indianapolis, and Detroit (twice).  But those stadiums are all covered.  And eventually, if the NFL keeps staging Super Bowls in cold-weather cities, a blizzard will hit the host city on the day of the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/07/blizzard-highlights-looming-game-of-super-bowl-roulette/

CanadianBuc:
Dont think like that... We have a good chance with a great off-season like last year. Im sure if there was a blizzard they would probably put a portable roof on the stadium anyway or move the date way in advance

Morgan:
Super Bowl XLVIII Odds (2014)

Odds to win the 2014 Super Bowl XLVIII 

Denver Broncos                                     7/1
    New England Patriots                             15/2
    San Francisco 49ers                              15/2
    Green Bay Packers                                10/1
    Baltimore Ravens                                   12/1
    Seattle Seahawks                                  12/1
    Houston Texans                                     14/1
    Atlanta Falcons                                     18/1
    New Orleans Saints                               18/1
    Pittsburgh Steelers                                18/1
    Chicago Bears                                       20/1
    New York Giants                                    20/1
    Dallas Cowboys                                     25/1
    Washington Redskins                            30/1
    Indianapolis Colts                                   33/1
    Cincinnati Bengals                                 35/1
    Detroit Lions                                          35/1
    Minnesota Vikings                                 35/1
    Philadelphia Eagles                               35/1
    San Diego Chargers                               35/1
    New York Jets                                       40/1
    Carolina Panthers                                  50/1
    Kansas City Chiefs                                50/1
    Miami Dolphins                                      50/1
    St. Louis Rams                                      50/1
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers                         50/1
    Arizona Cardinals                                   66/1
    Cleveland Browns                                   66/1
    Tennessee Titans                                   66/1
    Buffalo Bills                                           100/1
    Oakland Raiders                                    100/1
    Jacksonville Jaguars                               150/1

BucBalla85:
I wouldnt bet on TB winning but I do think that if we have a solid offseason and the team learns from their mistakes last year they can get into the playoffs and from there anything can happen.

youngone:
I hope there is a blizzard up there for Super Bowl week so they would never consider having it there again. The game should be played in a dome or warm weather city only.

TheChronicHotAir:
So if someone threw down $50 right not on a team with 50/1 odds, how much would they win?

1sparkybuc:
You would think they would have built a domed stadium for two teams representing NYC. It's really stupid and really cheap and a really dumb decision by the league.

Morgan:

--- Quote from: TheChronicHotAir on February 08, 2013, 06:08:51 PM ---So if someone threw down $50 right not on a team with 50/1 odds, how much would they win?

--- End quote ---

I think that would be $2,500.

The Anti-Java:

--- Quote from: youngone on February 08, 2013, 06:03:59 PM ---I hope there is a blizzard up there for Super Bowl week so they would never consider having it there again. The game should be played in a dome or warm weather city only.

--- End quote ---

Agree, and there are plenty of options.  Tampa, Miami. Phoenix.  San Fran is building a new stadium which IIRC, is opening next season.

cyberdude558:
Miami and Kansas City have the same odds as we do? I don't agree with that. Even if Reid cleans that team up, it's going to take a few years. And Miami? Seriously.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version