Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cornerback depth galore « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: February 09, 2013, 12:00:41 AM

NFL Free Agency 2013: Cornerbacks for Buccaneers

By Sander Philipse on Feb 8, 5:00p 

Scott Cunningham

The NFL free agency market hasn't opened yet, but when it opens, there will be plenty of cornerbacks to choose from.

The Buccaneers need to find cornerbacks, a lot, and quickly. Their current starting cornerbacks are, believe it or not, Leonard Johnson and Anthony Gaitor. I can hear Drew Brees's smacks of delight already. Fortunately, the Bucs have a ton of cap room and can spend like crazy to find quality starters in free agency. And there are lots of them. In fact, as has been the case the previous two or three years, cornerback may be the deepest and highest quality free agency class among all positions. That, at least, is what Rotoworld believes.

This position is loaded with quality NFL starters, and the prohibitive $10.67 million cornerback franchise number ensures it will stay that way. Aqib Talib, 27, Brent Grimes, 29, Sean Smith, 25, Chris Houston, 28, Derek Cox, 26, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, 26, all have experience as No. 1 corners, and of them only Grimes will be 30 years old when the 2013 season starts.

Super Bowl champ Cary Williams, 28, is believed to be looking to break the bank and may have trouble landing the lucrative deal he desires. E.J. Biggers, 25, Antoine Cason, 26, Keenan Lewis, 26, and Mike Jenkins, 27, could be more affordable targets with their best football ahead of them. Bradley Fletcher, 26, and Greg Toler, 28, are potential diamonds in the rough. Darius Butler, 26, Brice McCain, 26, Kyle Arrington, 26, and D.J. Moore, 25, can cover the slot on passing downs. Pacman Jones, 29, is coming off a quietly solid season as Cincinnati's nickel back. Jerraud Powers, 25, and Tracy Porter, 26, are intriguing "rehab" projects after injury-affected years.

Obviously past their primes, Sheldon Brown, 33, Quentin Jammer, 33, Terence Newman, 34, and Rashean Mathis, 32, each may have a year or two left as solid starting cornerbacks in the league. Brown, Jammer, and Mathis could potentially extend their careers by converting to safety.

Although former first-round pick Leodis McKelvin has not panned out as a cover corner, he is still only 27 and led the NFL in 2012 punt return average while bringing back two punts to the house.

To me, Sean Smith is the most intriguing player on the market, as he's big, fast, talented, physical and still very young. Given the depth of this group, the Bucs could easily walk out of free agency with two or three cornerbacks, which would leave them free to choose the best available player in the draft.

Of course, there's one crucial question you have to ask yourself for each of these free agents: why are they free agents in the first place? Usually, the answer to that question will lead you to reasons not to sign them.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/2/8/3968550/nfl-free-agency-2013-cornerbacks-for-buccaneers

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 09, 2013, 09:34:11 AM

Smith and McKelvin cover three needs.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 09, 2013, 09:38:45 AM

They forgot Marcus Trufant.....lots of options. Our secondary will no doubt be better.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 09, 2013, 09:46:57 AM

Cary Williams is looking to the break the bank? For what?

Did that ref sue him for assault or attempt to cause injury?

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 09, 2013, 10:06:48 AM

They forgot Marcus Trufant.....lots of options. Our secondary will no doubt be better.

Only problem with Trufant is he will be 33 this season.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 09, 2013, 10:21:11 AM

IMO, we are far more likely to sign VFA CB(s) than to draft one in the early rounds. I think Schiano & co. want their defense fixed quickly, and young CBs usually take time to develop. Witness our current group, or even Morris Claiborne... Given our situation, getting CBs who have already proven themselves to a reasonable degree in the NFL makes more sense to me.

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#6 : February 09, 2013, 10:54:01 AM

IMO, we are far more likely to sign VFA CB(s) than to draft one in the early rounds. I think Schiano & co. want their defense fixed quickly, and young CBs usually take time to develop. Witness our current group, or even Morris Claiborne... Given our situation, getting CBs who have already proven themselves to a reasonable degree in the NFL makes more sense to me.

Agree 100%.  I think the CB talent in the draft fits this strategy too.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 09, 2013, 11:01:22 AM

That's why I would rent a couple of FA CB's for a few years, draft our future CB's in the middle rounds, coach them up, give them nickle and dime experience. I would then focus on a backup for McCoy and some decent push at the NT. I would also move Najee Goode to Blacks spot and have Hayward as my first backup for all three positions. Over the next two drafts, I would TOTALLY, save Nicks, rebuild the Oline in Bostads image. Fix TE & backup RB along the way. Good to go.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 09, 2013, 11:09:28 AM

That's why I would rent a couple of FA CB's for a few years, draft our future CB's in the middle rounds, coach them up, give them nickle and dime experience. I would then focus on a backup for McCoy and some decent push at the NT. I would also move Najee Goode to Blacks spot and have Hayward as my first backup for all three positions. Over the next two drafts, I would TOTALLY, save Nicks, rebuild the Oline in Bostads image. Fix TE & backup RB along the way. Good to go.

what middle round CB's are better than what we currently have on roster?  if we want great CBs, we have to invest high picks.  and everyone always talks about getting  "Bostad guys, or Bostads image"...what does that really mean?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 09, 2013, 11:50:10 AM

In terms of Bostad, are you familiar with his body of work at Wisconsin? Over many years, he has been putting many linemen in the NFL that are complete players. He is well respeccted in that regard and Penn, Joseph, Larson, Meridith, Dotson and Zuttah MAY not be his style of Olinemen that fit HIS bill to pass block for Freeman and open holes for Martin.
Regarding  the mid round drraft choices, you have to ask yourself do you want to spend Revis moneythis year or do you want to give mid rounders a chance to deveop. The $64,000 question is it scheme, pass rush, talent, coaching, injuries or all of the above. My point is this year is not deep for CB's but next year is. IMHO, I would improve in other areas, get some FA's and then if needed, draft high next year.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 09, 2013, 12:00:22 PM

Only problem with Trufant is he will be 33 this season.

Yes, but I think he should have been included in this sentence.....

"Obviously past their primes, Sheldon Brown, 33, Quentin Jammer, 33, Terence Newman, 34, and Rashean Mathis, 32, each may have a year or two left as solid starting cornerbacks in the league."

I think we most likely sign a solid young free agent CB and also grab one of these older guys, and I think Trufant makes more sense than any of these other "over the hill" players listed. Give me Sean Smith and Trufant, and then draft a CB sometime in the first three rounds, or whenever the value makes sense. That would make me happy.
: February 09, 2013, 12:05:05 PM JDouble

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 09, 2013, 12:53:05 PM

In terms of Bostad, are you familiar with his body of work at Wisconsin? Over many years, he has been putting many linemen in the NFL that are complete players. He is well respeccted in that regard and Penn, Joseph, Larson, Meridith, Dotson and Zuttah MAY not be his style of Olinemen that fit HIS bill to pass block for Freeman and open holes for Martin.
Regarding  the mid round drraft choices, you have to ask yourself do you want to spend Revis moneythis year or do you want to give mid rounders a chance to deveop. The $64,000 question is it scheme, pass rush, talent, coaching, injuries or all of the above. My point is this year is not deep for CB's but next year is. IMHO, I would improve in other areas, get some FA's and then if needed, draft high next year.

he definitely had some quality guys - carimi, konz, zietler, moffitt and from google urbik and nagyand wagner.  i just dont know what his image or player is?  what if joseph is bostads guy?  what if dotson is bostads guy?  and were his wisconsin players quality recruits?  or 3* guys he coached up over a few years?

and yes, id spend  1/2 revis money on a guy like sean smith, and 1/4 money on guys like cox, mckelvin, fletcher, and more.  i do agree on the 64000 question.    if the scheme doesnt change much then we need quality at CB.  if they move to more a zone scheme then we can get by with less.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 09, 2013, 01:01:09 PM

Sean Smith and Derek Cox please.

Draft a DE or DT in the 1st round, and grab another CB in the 2nd and this defense is looking pretty damn good.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 09, 2013, 01:18:39 PM

Gametime we agree on the db strategy question, so let's see how it plays out.
In terms of the oline, here are my thoughts. If you have gems like Martin, Jackson, Williams and Freeman(?), obviously you would want to surround them with the best oline possible. So to me, Penn, while being good, always comes in overweight, plays himself into shape, has a good first half against the best, then tapers off. Joseph, is getting older, 30, and spends a lot of time on the IR and is expensive. Dotson, Meridith, Larsen, Zuttah are replaceable, although Zuttah got a nice contract as a center. So here's my point, if everyone, except Nicks and maybe Zuttah are not your cornerstone guys for a decade, why invest any more time and money in those guys? Why not unload the dead wood for as musch as you can get THIS year, and give the replacements (mid round picks) two to three years to really gel as a unit. Get some picks for Joseph & Penn/Pro Bowlers now, maybe 3rd or 4th rounders and retool this year. Everyone, on face value, would say it makes no sense but if they ain't the answer long term and we aren't winning the Super Bowl this year, NOW is the time to pull the triger. Look what Bostad did this year with Penn, Zuttah, Larsen, Meridith and Dotson. That was a miracle line and Martin got close to 2,00 all purpose yards and Jackson & Williams had a lights out year. I'm sure it won't happen, but Bostad really impressed me with what he did this year with Nicks and Joseph out most of the year and no namee guys coming in and doing a decent job. JMO

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 09, 2013, 01:20:42 PM

Sean Smith and Derek Cox please.

Draft a DE or DT in the 1st round, and grab another CB in the 2nd and this defense is looking pretty damn good.

Smith and Cox would be nice. I'd say sign a free agent DT too though and maybe take a top OT in the first.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cornerback depth galore « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools