Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cornerback depth galore « previous next »
Page: 1 2

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 09, 2013, 01:31:12 PM

Sean Smith and Derek Cox please.

Draft a DE or DT in the 1st round, and grab another CB in the 2nd and this defense is looking pretty damn good.

Smith and Cox would be nice. I'd say sign a free agent DT too though and maybe take a top OT in the first.

I'd love to see us bring in Glenn Dorsey through FA and draft a DT on top of it. That would give us excellent depth.

Dotson is servicable at RT. We could use an upgrade, but I'd rather wait a year and improve the defense.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 09, 2013, 01:35:07 PM

If the rumors of Sean Smith wanted $10M a year are true, he can eat a bag of **CENSORED**s. I'm not really sold on that kid anyways. I hear good things, but his stats say he's horrible. Definitely not worth $10M per year.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#17 : February 09, 2013, 01:47:03 PM

Draft a DE or DT in the 1st round, and grab another CB in the 2nd and this defense is looking pretty damn good.

Smith and Cox would be nice. I'd say sign a free agent DT too though and maybe take a top OT in the first.

I'd love to see us bring in Glenn Dorsey through FA and draft a DT on top of it. That would give us excellent depth.

Dotson is servicable at RT. We could use an upgrade, but I'd rather wait a year and improve the defense.
+1

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 09, 2013, 02:09:39 PM

Why can't we improve the defense thru free agency? Adding proven vets to the defense is going to improve it much quicker than adding rookies anyways.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#19 : February 09, 2013, 02:11:57 PM

In terms of the oline, here are my thoughts. If you have gems like Martin, Jackson, Williams and Freeman(?), obviously you would want to surround them with the best oline possible. So to me, Penn, while being good, always comes in overweight, plays himself into shape, has a good first half against the best, then tapers off. Joseph, is getting older, 30, and spends a lot of time on the IR and is expensive. Dotson, Meridith, Larsen, Zuttah are replaceable, although Zuttah got a nice contract as a center. So here's my point, if everyone, except Nicks and maybe Zuttah are not your cornerstone guys for a decade, why invest any more time and money in those guys? Why not unload the dead wood for as musch as you can get THIS year, and give the replacements (mid round picks) two to three years to really gel as a unit. Get some picks for Joseph & Penn/Pro Bowlers now, maybe 3rd or 4th rounders and retool this year. Everyone, on face value, would say it makes no sense but if they ain't the answer long term and we aren't winning the Super Bowl this year, NOW is the time to pull the triger. Look what Bostad did this year with Penn, Zuttah, Larsen, Meridith and Dotson. That was a miracle line and Martin got close to 2,00 all purpose yards and Jackson & Williams had a lights out year. I'm sure it won't happen, but Bostad really impressed me with what he did this year with Nicks and Joseph out most of the year and no namee guys coming in and doing a decent job. JMO

my only issue with this train of thought - is that this team for the most part is built to win now.  in 3-4 years the landscape completely changes.  vjax could easily be retired, mike will on another team, and doug martin worn down.  if freeman can play with any consistency and we tweak our pass coverages...we are set to play with any team in the NFL.

i love the idea of building a great OL.  but i think ive come to think that  a great OL is no different than a good one.  but a good one and a bad one are worlds apart.  ive got no problem trading penn and joseph for mid round picks...but i would definitely think we'd need to draft a couple guys like lane johnson and barrett jones...versatile guys with high ceilings.  we've been developing dotson and larsen for years now...yet they are still no more than depth.  solid depth imo, but depth nonetheless.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 09, 2013, 02:15:08 PM

Maybe we should just get an old experienced secondary right now and then transition to young guys slowly over the next few years. Bring back Barber at FS, sign Trufant and Mathis to be our starting CBs...then take a few DBs in the draft. Let these old dudes hold down the fort while our young guys adjust. Barron would be young, and our nickel CB would be young, but half our secondary would be over 30. I don't think it sounds bad at all as long as we have a promising group of young guys behind them as depth, and developing to be starters.

With this philosohpy we could get Trufant and Mathis for cheaper, shorter deals instead of giving a younger guy a big long term contract. I mean let's be real. Any CB under 30 we sign in FA is not a #1 CB, but we will have to pay him like a #1 and it will be a five year deal. Long term commitment to a guy you are hoping hasn't played his best football yet.

I say get the Legion of Geriatrics together and draft our own young CBs to develop.
: February 09, 2013, 02:20:09 PM JDouble

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 09, 2013, 02:22:40 PM

Jdub, that's what I'm thinking. Until we address all of the other issues on defense, let the old heads take the heat while we get the dline and backline stable and tweak the scheme. Next year the CB's are supposed to be MUCH better in the draft.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#22 : February 09, 2013, 02:26:49 PM

Brent Grimes, Derek Cox, Keenan Lewis, Cary Williams and Antoine Cason are the best of the bunch. Houston, DRC and Sean Smith have talent but are too inconsistent. I pray we get Grimes...guy would give our defense some much needed energy and athleticism in the secondary. He's the youngest almost 30 year old corner I've ever seen. Sign him to a 4 year deal. Loves the game, is a family man with no red flags off the field....Schiano will love him. Imagine if we traded our 1st rounder for Revis and signed Grimes.....I would cream my pants.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 09, 2013, 02:34:41 PM

IMO, we are far more likely to sign VFA CB(s) than to draft one in the early rounds. I think Schiano & co. want their defense fixed quickly, and young CBs usually take time to develop. Witness our current group, or even Morris Claiborne... Given our situation, getting CBs who have already proven themselves to a reasonable degree in the NFL makes more sense to me.

This is what I believe. I called into Justin in the Commish yesterday actually and said the same thing, "I don't the Bucs will nor should draft a CB in the first round unless maybe if Milliner is there."

nitey

Hall of Famer
#24 : February 09, 2013, 06:44:25 PM

Two words...

Leon Sandcastle  8)

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 09, 2013, 07:17:15 PM

Too slow

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 09, 2013, 08:12:21 PM

Brent Grimes, Derek Cox, Keenan Lewis, Cary Williams and Antoine Cason are the best of the bunch. Houston, DRC and Sean Smith have talent but are too inconsistent. I pray we get Grimes...guy would give our defense some much needed energy and athleticism in the secondary. He's the youngest almost 30 year old corner I've ever seen. Sign him to a 4 year deal. Loves the game, is a family man with no red flags off the field....Schiano will love him. Imagine if we traded our 1st rounder for Revis and signed Grimes.....I would cream my pants.

The dude is on the short side, 5-10 IIRC.  And coming off a pretty significant injury.  I think there are better options IMO.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 09, 2013, 08:26:08 PM

Sign Sean Smith
Sign Antoine Cason
Sign Andre Smith
Draft  Sheldon Richardson
Draft Desmond Trufant
Trade up for Zach Ertz

Could that be enough  worthy moves for a playoff run?

sammich

Starter

#28 : February 10, 2013, 02:47:40 AM

All of the FA CB options have drawbacks, but all of them sound better than going into next season starting 2 rookie CBs.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cornerback depth galore « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools