Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sapp, Strahan Twitter spat sparked by Hall comment « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 09, 2013, 12:00:57 AM »

Sapp, Strahan Twitter spat sparked by Hall comment

ASSOCIATED PRESS FILE PHOTOS

Warren Sapp, elected to the Hall of Fame on Saturday, referred to Michael Strahan (left) as a "media darling."

By TBO.com staff
 Published:  February 08, 2013 - 3:42 PM

Many Twitter followers called it a spat between the "menace" and "media darling."

In reality, Friday's exchange between Warren Sapp and Michael Strahan was more a brief dialogue invovling thin skin and thick résumés.

The words began after Sapp, beaming from his election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, told a Tampa radio station this week he was concerned Strahan would be favored among media members of the selection committee.

Both had sterling careers, but their off-field personas offered great contrast for Hall voters. Sapp, the former Tampa Bay Buccaneers star, has a reputation of acrimony among the media. Strahan, on the other hand, is a well-liked TV talker.

Sapp was aware of the appearances.

"Say, if I rewind this Saturday 12 o'clock, me and you are sitting and I say, 'You know, it breaks down whatever and whatever,' and then you have Michael Strahan and me. Come on, the menace and the media darling. Come on," Sapp told WDAE (620 AM).

Sapp was actually showing a humble side in the interview. That context may not have been conveyed to Strahan, who responded Friday morning:

@WarrenSapp You never cease to amaze me! Enjoy your moment. You don't need to take a shot at me to justify yourself to other people. #class."

And Sapp, of course, was never known to pass up the last word.

Sapp: "@michaelstrahan we stop competing 5+ yrs ago! #AllTheBest."

Strahan: "@WarrenSapp I only competed against myself. Don't let people make you get at me to justify your HOF selection. Enjoy it because u earned it."

Sapp: "@michaelstrahan u got my #!"

Strahan: "You have my # too. I'm a grown man and handle myself like one. Respect me and I respect you! "@WarrenSapp."

Strahan: "@WarrenSapp I congratulate you on the HOF. You were a HOF player no doubt. Enjoy it and hopefully I will join u in Canton one day! Congrats."

Sapp: "@michaelstrahan Tell Us Why You Really Mad Son?"

Sapp: "@michaelstrahan 1st ballot! #ThanksMike."

They later deleted many of the posts, but their words still made the rounds in retweets. And Twitter followers were quick to jump in with their own interpretations.

Sapp was voted into the Hall of Fame on Saturday, one of five modern-day players elected. Selectors later said one of the spots came down to Sapp and Strahan, both stars on the defensive line in their first year of eligibility.

Strahan, after playing 15 years for the New York Giants, became an analyst for Fox Sports, spokesman for Subway restaurants and co-host of the "Live With Kelly and Michael" show.

In recent months, Sapp did little to help the reputation formed over a 13-year career. As an NFL Network analyst, Sapp made an unproven allegation about former player Jeremy Shockey. He also went through a very public bankruptcy.

Hall voters are suppose to assess only on-field issues.

The order of discussion for the committee is chosen by random and grouped by position. Tampa Tribune reporter Ira Kaufman made the Sapp presentation to the 46-member panel and spoke 14th. The presenter for Strahan was next – and last.

Strahan will be eligible for the Hall again next year, when the vote is held in the New York City area, site of Super Bowl XLVIII.

This year's Hall of Fame induction in Canton, Ohio, is slated for Aug. 3.

-ts

Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 09, 2013, 12:09:05 AM »

"I'm a grown man and handle myself like one."

Shows when you start fights over twitter.

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
« #2 : February 09, 2013, 12:34:49 AM »

"I'm a grown man and handle myself like one."

Shows when you start fights over twitter.

This

In many bassin\' circles, trolling is often considered the lowest form of fishing - Jim Porter

zsmith22

Starter

« #3 : February 09, 2013, 12:39:09 AM »

I wish Sapp wasn't such an idiot sometimes.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #4 : February 09, 2013, 01:34:56 AM »

I wish Sapp wasn't such an idiot sometimes.

Hate to break it to you, Einstein, but Sapp wasn't the villain in this one.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 09, 2013, 01:59:57 AM »

Sounded to me like he was comparing himself to strahan-darling, and feeling that when they made their choice he would have no chance against strahan's popularity.

At least that's what I got from it.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 09, 2013, 02:22:25 AM »

Sapp is such a **CENSORED**ing punk...then people wonder why I don't like him.

bamabucs

Starter

« #7 : February 09, 2013, 03:04:51 AM »

Even if Strahan misread Sapp's intentions and acted like a child, Sapp humiliated himself by continuing to be a child while Michael reverted back to "stay classy" mode. If I had to pick the bigger idiot, I would pick Sapp for even bringing up Strahan's name.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #8 : February 09, 2013, 03:18:36 AM »

Sapp says what he thinks. Some people just can't take a full dose of honesty. I find it refreshing. "Coach speak"  is another word for lies. Most players do the same thing when discussing people in the business. Sapp doesn't sugarcoat anything. He said he thought he would lose out to Strahan. He's no dummy. He knows he's not going to win a popularity contest with anybody, much less Strahan. Sapp won because he set the standard at DT. People still compare guys coming into the league to Sapp. You can't say that about Strahan. He'll get voted in next year. He deserves to be. His timing was off. He should have played one more year so he wouldn't have to compete with Sapp.

PewterBlitz

Starter

« #9 : February 09, 2013, 03:25:50 AM »

Lol I don't see how Sapp is to blame here. Either way, don't care, wish we had a big mouth loud a-hole with an ability to give the team attitude.

Ms Elam

Starter

« #10 : February 09, 2013, 05:59:55 AM »

Strahans recon shows he clearly is upset about not getting in the hall. I saw this story on pft when it first broke and all the comments left by readers where pro sapp. Michael had no reason to react the way he did. Sapp basically said" I'm a loud mouth fool whose had off the field issues and Mike is a good guy working on several TV shows and has commercials. I didn't think 2 d lineman would get in, and I felt like this would give him the edge with voters."
 And for the record strahan you were competing with sapp. Just like Marshall Faulwas competing with Jerome bettis and Curtis Martin. Just like Chris carter competed with Tim brown and Andre.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #11 : February 09, 2013, 07:03:00 AM »

Sapp says what he thinks. Some people just can't take a full dose of honesty. I find it refreshing. "Coach speak"  is another word for lies. Most players do the same thing when discussing people in the business. Sapp doesn't sugarcoat anything. He said he thought he would lose out to Strahan. He's no dummy. He knows he's not going to win a popularity contest with anybody, much less Strahan. Sapp won because he set the standard at DT. People still compare guys coming into the league to Sapp. You can't say that about Strahan. He'll get voted in next year. He deserves to be. His timing was off. He should have played one more year so he wouldn't have to compete with Sapp.

well stated!!

Sapp is such a **CENSORED**ing punk...then people wonder why I don't like him.

really?
« : February 09, 2013, 07:04:44 AM Hate »

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 09, 2013, 07:19:30 AM »

He said he thought he would lose out to Strahan. He's no dummy. He knows he's not going to win a popularity contest with anybody, much less Strahan. Sapp won because he set the standard at DT. People still compare guys coming into the league to Sapp. You can't say that about Strahan.

This is what this whole spat boils down to. Well said.

Strahan misinterpreted how it was said, or maybe didn't see the full quote. The headline on this story was "Sapp calls Strahan a media darling", which sounds like he is trying to bad mouth Strahan. But if you read the whole quote, he's really saying that he's a menace and possibly not well liked by everyone. 

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #13 : February 09, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »

"Tell Us Why You Really Mad Son?"

Lol... Sapp is the man

Dy-nasty D

Starter
« #14 : February 09, 2013, 10:56:22 AM »

Yeah, Sapp says exactly what he's thinking, but there's nothing wrong with having a little bit of self-restraint and being classy. Just not Sapp's style.

My take is that Sapp was covering his bases and then rubbing in Strahan's face. If Sapp doesn't get in and Strahan does, Sapp says it's because Strahan is more popular. If Sapp gets in and Strahan doesn't, Sapp beats Strahan even with his disadvantage of being unpopular. Sapp was a great player, but he is an ass.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sapp, Strahan Twitter spat sparked by Hall comment « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools