Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sean Smith's agent looking for something between Carr, and McCourty deals. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#15 : February 09, 2013, 01:51:35 PM

Do NOT pay this guy. He will be this offseason's Eric Wright. I have never heard a Dolphins fan have one single good thing to say about Sean Smith. Not one.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#16 : February 09, 2013, 02:14:31 PM

I haven't watched enough of Smith to be sold. I mean, stats often don't tell the whole story, but giving up more first downs and TDs than any other CB last year....I don't know about all that. Seems like he might be a guy that Bucs fans love to hate a year from now. Dude sounds more inconsistent than Talib....but Smith only has 5 Interceptions in his 4 year NFL career, so he isn't even the playmaker Talib was.

I'm not saying I miss Talib, but I'm not sold on Sean Smith.
I watched parts of a few Miami games earlier in the year, and thought he looked good.  Overall, I didn't watch enough to make a very educated opinion, though.  From what I've gathered from reading some Miami publications, he became tentative after midseason and would give up lots of cushion to WRs.  I don't know how much of this was schematic, coaching, or his own bad play.  One thing is for sure, I'm betting any GM that sits down with Smith's agent will have PFF's stats right in front of him. 

Interesting point about PFF; they're not a big fan of Smith now, but as of 11/06 they said he was a "worthy choice" for a pro bowl selection.  Apparently the wheels fell off since then.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#17 : February 09, 2013, 02:15:57 PM

CB's are gonna get paid.  might as well pay a big fast physical one.  eric wright turned out to be a mistake, but that doesnt mean we cant try again.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Tampafan8251

Starter
#18 : February 09, 2013, 03:10:39 PM

I wouldnt pay him 10 mill a year but when you look at the stats when he faced big time wr's like A.J. Green he pretty much held them down, he is good against physical wr's and that is what we need, I have also been watching a lot of tape on Derek Cox and he is physical himself and is 6 foot 1, his injuries have just been bad luck and if we can get him to a good deal I would be all for it. He is underrated and I feel like he is just entering his prime where he can stand out even more. Either way if we sign one of these guys we still need to draft two cb's, but it makes our pick at 13 more flexible and go for BPA and not reach for need.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 09, 2013, 03:21:37 PM

CB's are gonna get paid.  might as well pay a big fast physical one.  eric wright turned out to be a mistake, but that doesnt mean we cant try again.

What's the point of a big, fast physical receiver that can't cover? Myron Lewis is just as big, has the same 40 time, and he sucks.

There's no way to brush under the carpet the fact that he gave up the most first downs and TDs in the league.

There's a reason tall CBs are rare in this league, it's because it's difficult to find one that can actually cover well. It's not as if there's a shortage of football players over 6ft.

Why pay a free agent big money for what you think they can become, rather than pay them for their past performance?

Would you honestly be happy paying out 7 million to Sean Smith because he let up the most first downs in the league last year? That's with him playing on a better defense than our own, one that actually has a pass rush.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#20 : February 09, 2013, 03:33:53 PM

What's the point of a big, fast physical receiver that can't cover? Myron Lewis is just as big, has the same 40 time, and he sucks.

There's no way to brush under the carpet the fact that he gave up the most first downs and TDs in the league.

There's a reason tall CBs are rare in this league, it's because it's difficult to find one that can actually cover well. It's not as if there's a shortage of football players over 6ft.

Why pay a free agent big money for what you think they can become, rather than pay them for their past performance?

Would you honestly be happy paying out 7 million to Sean Smith because he let up the most first downs in the league last year? That's with him playing on a better defense than our own, one that actually has a pass rush.
There are no CB's in this free agency class whose past performance is going to warrant 7 million, but I'd bet there will be several that get paid that and more by teams.  It's the nature of the business.  As I stated above, at least Smith played like a pro-bowler for half the season.  Dom and Schiano have to figure out why his play trailed off for the second half of the season, and decide whether it's all his fault and if it's correctable.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#21 : February 09, 2013, 04:21:50 PM

I decided to go look at the box scores of Smith's games in the second have of the season to see if there are any trends.  Specifically I looked at games after 11/06 when PFF still considered Smith to be in the mix for pro bowl voting.  I'm just looking at the #1 WR for the opposing teams, but I don't know who Smith was actually lined up against. 

He played NE twice, and Welker had 20 rec for almost 200 yds and 2 TD's combined.  Aaron Hernandez also had a pretty good game for their first meeting, as well.

Against SF, Crabtree had 9 rec for 93 yds and 0 TD's. 

Jacksonville had 2 WR with good numbers, Shorts had 6 rec for 101 and Blackmon had 6 rec for 93 yds but neither had a TD.

They played Buff twice and Stevie Johnson had 6 rec for 79 and 0 TD in the 1st, but was held to 4 for 44 in the 2nd game.

Miami also played Seattle and Tenn during this time period, but neither had too much production from it's top WRs.

It sure looks like Miami got burnt badly by Welker, but who hasn't.  They gave up a lot of receptions to Crabtree, Shorts, and Blackmon, but no TD's.  I'm curious to get PFF's insider subscription to look deeper into their stats, but I'm just too cheap. Luckily the Bucs have the ability to look over all of these games with a fine toothed comb prior to throwing money at him. Let's hope they do their due diligence, at least better than they did with Wright.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 09, 2013, 04:28:50 PM

id be thrilled to sign smith to a 7mil a season contract.  literally jump for joy.  what coverages were used on those 1st downs and TD's?  how did he give up the 1st downs/TD's? 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Tampafan8251

Starter
#23 : February 09, 2013, 04:37:32 PM

Smith or Cox is who we need to sign, both have a legit chance of being True number 1 cb's, anyone know how Cox faired against top wr's this year?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 09, 2013, 08:05:32 PM

Not that rare.

Antonio Cromartie 6'2"
Asomugha 6"2"
Al Harris 6'1"
Chris McAlister 6'1"
Brandon Browner (6-foot-4) and Richard Sherman (6-foot-3),

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 09, 2013, 08:18:09 PM

6 guys out of the 200+ that have been drafted over the last decade... Seems rare.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 09, 2013, 08:26:07 PM

6 guys out of the 200+ that have been drafted over the last decade... Seems rare.

But trending upward .

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 09, 2013, 08:43:10 PM

All things being equal I would prefer a taller corner, who wouldn't? All things aren't equal though. With height you give up agility and balance.

I would much rather have an agile, quick 5'10" corner with big arms who can actually cover over a 6'3" corner with terrible hips who can only press.

Personally I think 5'11"-6'0" is adequate enough.

Ms Elam

Starter

#28 : February 09, 2013, 08:50:29 PM

Not that rare.

Antonio Cromartie 6'2"
Asomugha 6"2"
Al Harris 6'1"
Chris McAlister 6'1"
don't forget about Talib.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#29 : February 09, 2013, 09:43:46 PM

Not that rare.

Antonio Cromartie 6'2"
Asomugha 6"2"
Al Harris 6'1"
Chris McAlister 6'1"
don't forget about Talib.

I try to........every day.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sean Smith's agent looking for something between Carr, and McCourty deals. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools