Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 ... 612

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #2730 : March 17, 2013, 12:18:50 AM »

But it also sounds so stupid that SOMETHING has to be up, right?
exactly.  lets just hope the panic can end.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

« #2731 : March 17, 2013, 12:20:04 AM »

I think they know, but have done nothing to rectify our craptastic cornerbacks. Hell man, even Beetles has to admit the corners suck taint.

And like Beetles, our GM and Head Coach, who KNOW something is busted with the corners, have a ton of money to spend, and had a plethora of available mid tier CBs to choose from and signed NONE...sounds wrong.

But it also sounds so stupid that SOMETHING has to be up, right?

Dear Gawd...if not, I will assume Dom is retarded, Glazers are dimwits, and Schiano will get fired for it all.

And they will be fired. Period.

This is why I am confident something is in the works. There is no way the FO and coaches are going to put their jobs in the hands of our current CBs. Despite what some people think, they're not that stupid.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #2732 : March 17, 2013, 12:22:41 AM »

If Dom tries, and fails, the result is still the same.

I am not operating under the assumption that Dom is getting plenty of beauty rest, and hitting the links. I am assuming they are not fixing anything and we are getti g antsy from it. As fans of the team, we have that right to do so.

Until it is fixed, reality says it is a problem.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #2733 : March 17, 2013, 12:24:01 AM »

if, when all is said an done, our crappy cornerback situation hasn't been addressed i'll be leading the pack calling for Dom's ouster. At this point, why is everyone up in arms as if Dom has been out playing golf or something?

Thought you should know...you forgot to color the bolded statement above blue.

;)

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #2734 : March 17, 2013, 01:01:01 AM »

For Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Revis linked with Freeman

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Greg Schiano and the Bucs insist that they're content with Josh Freeman as their franchise QB.

By MARTIN FENNELLY|Tbo.com
 Published:  March 16, 2013 - 7:49 PM

TAMPA --

It comes down to what the Bucs think about their quarterback as much as their cornerbacks.

Josh Freeman and Darrelle Revis go hand in hand. Really, they do.

The Bucs need to take a long look at Revis, see if his knee is being rehabilitated back into shut-down form, because it's clear the Jets want to move their Pro Bowl corner.

If I'm Bucs coach Greg Schiano and Bucs GM Mark Dominik, I go get him, for the right price, no getting fleeced — but only if I think this team is close to breaking through.

Is that really the case?

The Bucs need to ask that.

Oh, and Ronde Barber needs to be asking it, too.

And a lot of that still goes back to 5.

Is this a Super Bowl quarterback — even a playoff quarterback? It's a question with an answer that changes with Freeman's ups and downs. We've seen him dress up as Michael Jackson. Cool. Great. Now, can he pretend to be Joe Flacco? I'm not so sure.

There has been addition on this defense, namely the signing of free-agent safety Dashon Goldson, five years, big money. Wonder if that will work out better than Eric Wright, the sole resident disaster among that trio of deals before last season, along with two dead-on winners (Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks).

But the subtraction on defense is troubling. Michael Bennett, the team's leading sacker in 2012, is gone, and so is Roy Miller, who helped stuff the run. And both of them for relatively minor contracts.

It seems risky, since Gerald McCoy is just ascending and Adrian Clayborn is coming off an injury. Plus the Bucs are banking on Da'Quan Bowers, who has battled health issues, plus recent stupidity issues. I mean, if the guy can't get to an airplane, how is he going to get to the quarterback?

On the other hand, maybe that comes back to Revis — and to Freeman.

These departures might be the Bucs clearing the way for Revis, grabbing him, then using their first-round draft pick to scoop up a defensive lineman in a draft that appears deep there, especially at tackle.

I still say the Bucs need two corners. Or maybe you forget how lousy this secondary was in 2012.

I don't think there's a rush with Revis. The Jets want him gone. There might be time here for Dominik, whose clock is ticking, probably faster than Schiano's. He's 24-40, no playoffs, as Bucs GM. Dominik might need Revis as much as anyone.

If I can get Revis, physically intact, or reasonably close, I'd spend a first-rounder on him, preferably a first-rounder next season if I think I'm that close. If they could get away with a pair of second-round picks for Revis, great.

But it's complicated — and, like always, it goes back to the quarterback. Take that Deadspin report that two pranksters set up, then eavesdropped on a conversation between Dominik and Buffalo Bills GM Buddy Nix. It was enlightening.

Uncle Buddy, 70ish, told young Mark, 40ish, that he was handcuffed by his QB, Ryan Fitzpatrick, (soon after dumped by the Bills). The two agreed that the right QB can solve a lot of other problems. Dominik recalled telling Colts GM Ryan Grigson, who lucked out with the Andrew Luck powerball, "You're a genius for 10 years now."

Understand, Freeman's name never came up and the Bucs have an avowed policy that 5 is their guy.

Darrelle Revis and Josh Freeman are still connected.

Freeman can make Revis one of the final puzzle pieces to a playoff path or make Revis just an expensive bauble, a waste of time, and send Dominik packing, among others.

I have no real clue what Freeman is about to do about that.

I don't think the Bucs know, either.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #2735 : March 17, 2013, 01:06:47 AM »

I thought the article was going to be about trading Freeman for Revis.

Buck N Up

Starter

« #2736 : March 17, 2013, 01:08:09 AM »

yeah me to.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #2737 : March 17, 2013, 01:08:15 AM »

Bucs-Revis talks could heat up

Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer

Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:30am

Getty Images (2011)
The Jets’ Darrelle Revis celebrates an interception.

TAMPA —

Tampa Bay's emerald water is dotted with islands of every size, shape and surname. Honeymoon. Davis. Harbour. But there might be room for an isle called Revis.

The Bucs have an interest in trading for Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis. That much, nearly everyone — including team officials — appears to agree on.

"I wouldn't count us out of anything because we want to keep our doors open," general manager Mark Dominik said.

But striking a deal for Revis, 27, is an enormous commitment of resources in terms of draft picks, finances and faith. If it is going to happen, talks will escalate during the three-day NFL owners meetings that begin Monday in Phoenix.

At the very least, it's the perfect venue for such discussions.

Tampa Bay began free agency about $30 million under the salary cap. And even after signing safety Dashon Goldson to a five-year deal worth $41.25 million ($22 million guaranteed), it is positioned financially to absorb a large contract.

The Bucs also have a desperate need for starting cornerbacks after owning the league's worst pass defense in 2012. If Dominik has learned anything after last offseason's swing-and-miss on cornerback Eric Wright, it's he wants to offer large contracts only to proven players.

It worked well a year ago, when the team signed receiver Vincent Jackson and guard Carl Nicks.

It could work with Revis, a three-time first-team All-Pro in his six seasons who nicknames the area of the field he covers "Revis Island" but is coming off a torn left ACL. He is owed only $5 million through next season, but any trade likely will require a renegotiated contract. And he has indicated he wants between $14 million and $16 million annually.

Jets owner Woody Johnson has shown no interest in a protracted negotiation with Revis. New general manager John Idzik, who worked with Dominik at the original One Buc Place, has publicly denied reports that he wants to trade him.

What about Revis' impact on the locker room?

His coach at the University of Pittsburgh, Dave Wannstedt, is the Bucs' new special teams coordinator and can vouch for his character. So can Jeff Hafley, Revis' position coach at Pittsburgh who now works with safeties in Tampa Bay.

Compensation — in terms of players and/or draft picks — is typically the biggest hurdle.

As far as the Jets are concerned, any conversations would have to begin with a first-round pick. The Bucs own the 13th overall. Until an agreement on compensation can be reached, it's unlikely the Jets would allow the Bucs — or any team — to begin negotiations with Revis' agent.

The Bucs might want to use their first-rounder on another cornerback. They've shown no interest in that position during free agency despite players taking one-year deals or getting less than what analysts predicted. That includes ex-Dolphin Sean Smith signing with Kansas City for three years and $18 million ($11 million guaranteed).

Aside from talks about Revis, owners will consider several rules proposals. They include eliminating the tuck rule, preventing ballcarriers and defenders from using the crown of their helmet in the open field, and other safety measures.

But by midweek, Bucs fans should have a better idea if Revis Island is moving to a warmer climate.

.Fast facts

Revis gets bonus

Cornerback Darrelle Revis, the subject of trade rumors, earned a $1 million bonus for being on the Jets roster Saturday. He also can earn a $1 million workout bonus in June and $1 million reporting bonus at the start of training camp in July. His base salary for 2013 is $3 million.

Times wires

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #2738 : March 17, 2013, 01:10:01 AM »

If Dom were smart he would look for a diamond in the rough WHILE he is keeping his eyes on Freeman.

They have already inquired about Mallett, as I suggested he should back in December. If 5 starts to falter, you plug in Mallett for one last ditch effort in trying to save your gig. I think that is worth a 3rd round pick. Mallett groomed under the greatest head coach/QB duo of all time might have helped him with his development.

The man can throw a pigskin over them mountains. For real though.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #2739 : March 17, 2013, 01:14:25 AM »

Bucs being choosey in free agency

Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer

Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:30am

JAMES BORCHUCK | Times

Of Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, returning an interception against the Bucs, Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominik publicly remains noncommittal about acquiring him. But, he says, “We have a plan, and we’ve been sticking to that plan.”

TAMPA

If you're looking for a firm answer on whether the Bucs will acquire Jets All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis, you're not going to find it here. Things are still too fluid.

But if you want to know whether the Bucs are serious about adding players of Revis' caliber, that's something we can shed light on.

The short answer is yes. But there's a larger point. The historically frugal franchise is willing to spend big on talent, evidenced by Wednesday's signing of 49ers All-Pro safety Dashon Goldson for five years and $41.25 million ($22 million guaranteed). The Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks signings of 2012 are more examples.

However, the club will be extremely deliberate. That's a result of a new focus on getting the best players money can buy, as opposed to players who aren't great but are rewarded with rich contracts anyway.

Take Revis. General manager Mark Domi­nik was asked last week about the team's intentions. He didn't offer much clarity, but his answer still spoke volumes.

"We don't stop," Dominik said. "We're going to continue to look in any way that we can to improve the football team. Just know that Coach (Greg Schiano), myself, our front office, we're still all looking. The Glazer family continues to provide us resources, and we're going to continue to look to see if there's anything that we think is rare and unique or a player we really think can help our football team."

Pay particular attention to "rare," which applies to Revis, the best cornerback in football (and likely to become the highest-paid, too).

Though you're likely wondering if the Bucs will ever sign a cornerback to improve what was the NFL's worst secondary in 2012, this attitude explains why the team didn't bite on the likes of Dolphins free agent Sean Smith, who signed with the Chiefs for three years and $18 million ($11 million guaranteed).

The Bucs have salary cap space and could have acquired most any of the free agents you've seen sign in the past week. But for better or worse, they're going to be choosy.

"We do a lot of strategic planning three, four, five years out to make sure we don't put ourselves in a situation where we can't sign players that we want to retain and make sure that when players like Dashon Goldson become free agents, we're able to strike and attack," Dominik said.

"I wouldn't count us out of anything, because I think we want to keep our doors open. But we have a plan, and we've been sticking to that plan."

The Bucs might pass on some of the smaller fish, but if they're to be believed, they're going to relentlessly pursue the big ones.

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

« #2740 : March 17, 2013, 01:27:09 AM »

Nice try, Dominik. We all know there is no vision, no plan, no direction.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #2741 : March 17, 2013, 01:30:49 AM »

I'm sure this is a plan, but if that plan doesn't include using free agency to improve the worst group of CBs in the entire league.....then the plan sucks. Sure seems like he put all his eggs in the Revis basket and now our entire 2013 season hinges on a very risky trade happening. Questionable vision/direction in my opinion.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2742 : March 17, 2013, 02:38:08 AM »

Straight up?  Or do you think draft picks would be involved?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

blackfoot

Starter
« #2743 : March 17, 2013, 02:46:05 AM »

I have enjoyed reading this "book". I know it is going to end one of these days, which will be sad, but i hope it is a happy ending for the Bucs.

Buck N Up

Starter

« #2744 : March 17, 2013, 02:51:57 AM »

you know people are saying Dom's gonna feel the wrath of Bucs fans. But jesus you see hes pursuing hard for the BEST CB in the league, not his fault the Jet's are being greedy little **CENSORED**es. I for one am not gonna be mad at Dom if we don't get Revis.

Page: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 ... 612
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools