Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 ... 612

HolyBuc

Starter
#4350 : March 23, 2013, 06:01:28 PM

While I agree with the notion the JETS do not have to move Revis.  I would argue against it for the simple reason the JETS can't afford Revis going to a division foe....Patriots.  Almost all teams that lose free agents it is done by the clubs choice of not signing a player or not using the franchise option.  Terrible contract that won't allow the use of a franchise tag rests solely on Woody's shoulders.

The JETS gave the player the power, a player notorious for wanting to be the highest paid player he can be.  He can NOT be franchised tag next year, he will not sign a deal with us or the JETS unless he is getting PAID.  Woody Johnson has been on record he won't pay him that much and Johnson's most recent comments at the owners meeting didn't dispell that line of thinking.  The JETS have the power over Revis for this year and this year only they would be foolish not to use it and get what they can get for him.  Its not like the JETS will have a team that could make a run at the playoffs and if they think they do well that's just crazy.  Of course they have been crazy for a few years.  I truly believe if it wasn't for Rex Ryan, Revis would be a Buc already.  Rex is probably whispering in Woody's ear "shhhh...don't tell anyone we can win the Super Bowl with Revis."
: March 23, 2013, 06:21:56 PM Foedus

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#4351 : March 23, 2013, 06:16:20 PM

F:  And you see Bill belichik paying him $15 million a year?  Come on.  That is NOT the Pats style at all.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#4352 : March 23, 2013, 06:21:55 PM

The Wright trade reports would only give leverage to the Jets if there was another team besides the Bucs wanting to trade for Revis.  The Jets HAVE to trade Revis at some point or risk losing him for nothing more than a compensatory pick. 

I don't get this...we just signed Dashon.  What did the Niners get?  Nothing.  This whole have to trade or get nothing is hilarious.  Teams have been getting nothing for years when a free agent leaves.  Hence, the term FREE AGENCY!!!!  Duh.

You are even a bigger moron that usual if you think its good logic to compare the Revis situation to Goldson leaving in FA.   Based on the way Tannebaum left the Jets, they are in a complete rebuilding mode with a lame duck coach. Not only can the Jets not afford to re-sign him with their awful cap situation but the owner himself wants him traded.  Revis is only bargaining chip they have to get them additional picks better than a 3rd round compensatory that can help turn this terrible situation around and rebuild this franchise.   The freakin Niners are a Super Bowl team with 14 picks in this year's draft with a stacked roster.  Does that sound like the Jets to you??   Lets see, every major sports media outlet think the Jets have to trade Revis, the New York media thinks they have to trade Revis but then there is you who doesn't. get it.....oh what the use....its like debating with a box of rocks...

HolyBuc

Starter
#4353 : March 23, 2013, 06:25:36 PM

F:  And you see Bill belichik paying him $15 million a year?  Come on.  That is NOT the Pats style at all.

Can you risk that Sweet Bill won't whisper in his ear and he will take less money?  I don't risk that...if I owned the team I wouldn't want JETS best player since Namath going to a team in the AFC, of course I would find a way to sign him.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#4354 : March 23, 2013, 06:34:21 PM

Peter King>INSIDE THE NFL
More ColumnsEmail Peter King 
Revis trade talks between Jets, Bucs in a fragile state

inShare

Darrelle Revis has 19 interceptions in six seasons, and has been named an All-Pro three times in his career.
Bill Kostroun/AP
The Jets have a vexing problem with Darrelle Revis, but if GM John Idzik plays his cards right, he could at least partially save face for trading the franchise's best player by getting no less than first- and third-round draft choices from Tampa Bay for the problematic cornerback, a source close to the negotiations told SI.com.
In fact, the source said, if the Jets are willing to take both picks in 2014, Tampa Bay would likely deal its first- and second-round picks for Revis, even though the Bucs are not sold that he can come back and be 100 percent after 2012 knee surgery.
Three things are apparent in the wake of the NFL meetings in Arizona, where nothing got done between the Jets and Bucs on the Revis front: Tampa Bay is the only serious bidder for Revis. The ball is in the Jets' court on what to do next. And the Bucs aren't going to go much further, if at all, to try to get Revis.
Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominik on Wednesday night and the Jets, through a team spokesman this morning, both declined comment on the fragile state of talks between the two teams.
The Jets, in discussions with Tampa, have apparently been stuck on acquiring the Bucs' first-round pick this year, as well as an additional choice, which would likely come in next year's draft. That would give New York the ninth and 13th picks overall this year.
But is that really the smartest way to go for the Jets? I don't think it is. I think it's much smarter for New York to try to get both Tampa picks in the 2014 draft, and to push for the Bucs' top two picks. With the likelihood that this is Rex Ryan's final season as head coach, and the certainty that New York will try one last time to make Mark Sanchez work at quarterback this year, it doesn't make much sense to draft a quarterback in the first round. What happens if the Jets pick, say, USC quarterback Matt Barkley, and the new coach next year -- if there is one -- isn't a Barkley guy? The Jets would be wiser to go for a 2014 first-rounder, giving the team two ones with the likelihood that the quarterback class would be stronger next year than this one. If they had to move up in the draft to get a passer, they'd have good ammunition.
The Bucs, meanwhile, would be poised to sign Revis long-term. Lots of numbers have been floated in the press in recent days, but I'm told Tampa Bay would be willing to pay Revis somewhere in the neighborhood of $15 million per year (with no state taxes in Florida versus a big chunk in New Jersey). Revis has proven in the past he won't sit idly by if he feels he's getting less than he deserves. The Jets paid Revis $32 million in bonus and salary over the past two years, and are slated to pay him $6 million in 2013. So if Revis knows there's a team out there willing to pay him more than double what the Jets would this year, how do you think he's going to react to being on a sinking ship without his contract being re-done by the Jets? Idzik, the rookie GM, hasn't been in New York long, but he'll find out how it feels to be skewered on the back pages of the tabloids if the team is losing and Revis is yapping regularly. Which he's not afraid to do. And that won't be pleasant.
There's another sinkhole for the Jets to consider: They can't franchise Revis if he reaches free agency at the end of the 2013 season. So if they don't trade him by the October trading deadline, or if they don't sign him by the end of the season, they risk losing him in free agency in 2014, with only a compensatory draft choice in return. Who knows where Revis would sign? But if he ever signed with hated New England, Jets fans would be burning their season tickets in Times Square.
"The trade has to happen,'' said another league source who has been privy to the information exchanged between the teams. "The question is when. The Jets know they can't sign him, and Idzik knows if he doesn't sign him he's got to get the best deal he can."
I'm surprised a team would be willing to pay first- and second-round picks for Revis, which I now believe Tampa Bay would do. The Bucs would be paying big compensation for damaged goods -- though all indications are that Revis is ahead of schedule to return healthy in 2013 -- and making him the highest-paid corner in league history at the same time.
There's no way the Jets are going to get a better deal anywhere prior to the season. Now, if Idzik gambles and waits until early October, thinking he can do better once everyone sees Revis play at a high level, that's an option. Still, he's not likely to get better than first- and second-round picks for Revis then.
Unless Idzik can somehow sign Revis this offseason, which seems highly unlikely based on the Jets' clear preference to not give in and pay Revis a second huge contract in three years, the Tampa Bay deal looks like the best one he'll get.
The gut feeling here is the Jets and Bucs will eventually swing a deal, with the Jets winning on the first-round pick this year. The smarter move, though, would be getting Tampa's two top picks next year, when New York would be in better position to know exactly what it needs at the quarterback position, and when the Jets would know who would be coaching that quarterback.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130321/darrelle-revis-trade-new-york-jets-tampa-bay-buccaneers/#ixzz2OPAjMTz5

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#4355 : March 23, 2013, 06:34:58 PM

that article is kinda old, tbh

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#4356 : March 23, 2013, 06:36:32 PM

The Wright trade reports would only give leverage to the Jets if there was another team besides the Bucs wanting to trade for Revis.  The Jets HAVE to trade Revis at some point or risk losing him for nothing more than a compensatory pick. 

I don't get this...we just signed Dashon.  What did the Niners get?  Nothing.  This whole have to trade or get nothing is hilarious.  Teams have been getting nothing for years when a free agent leaves.  Hence, the term FREE AGENCY!!!!  Duh.

You are even a bigger moron that usual if you think its good logic to compare the Revis situation to Goldson leaving in FA.   Based on the way Tannebaum left the Jets, they are in a complete rebuilding mode with a lame duck coach. Not only can the Jets not afford to re-sign him with their awful cap situation but the owner himself wants him traded.  Revis is only bargaining chip they have to get them additional picks better than a 3rd round compensatory that can help turn this terrible situation around and rebuild this franchise.   The freakin Niners are a Super Bowl team with 14 picks in this year's draft with a stacked roster.  Does that sound like the Jets to you??   Lets see, every major sports media outlet think the Jets have to trade Revis, the New York media thinks they have to trade Revis but then there is you who doesn't. get it.....oh what the use....its like debating with a box of rocks...

What don't I get you whiny little **CENSORED**tt???  They might trade him but they certainly don't have to.  If he's so good why not try to keep him?   Sanchez comes off the books after this season.  That's 8.5 mill right there.  There's absolutely no rush on their part.  Just because you want him NOW doesn't constitute a rush on the Jets part.  get it now you **CENSORED**ing loser.  Probably not.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#4357 : March 23, 2013, 06:37:53 PM

that article is kinda old, tbh

I know but wanted to "emphasize" it a bit. It basically says that the trade WILL happen.

And BTW the only reason I can think Grimes refused the Browns offer is that he already has another one... Hint perhaps?

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#4358 : March 23, 2013, 06:38:16 PM

Can you risk that Sweet Bill won't whisper in his ear and he will take less money?  I don't risk that...if I owned the team I wouldn't want JETS best player since Namath going to a team in the AFC, of course I would find a way to sign him.

It is zero risk.  Now you are talking about money hungry Revis signing for less money?  Come on man...you are just fabricating garbage to justify his trading.  We might have some people on suicide watch if this trade doesn't go down.  I'm either way at this point.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#4359 : March 23, 2013, 06:42:39 PM

What don't I get you whiny little **CENSORED**tt???  They might trade him but they certainly don't have to.  If he's so good why not try to keep him?   Sanchez comes off the books after this season.  That's 8.5 mill right there.  There's absolutely no rush on their part.  Just because you want him NOW doesn't constitute a rush on the Jets part.  get it now you **CENSORED**ing loser.  Probably not.

What good is it to bring a bunch of negativity to the boards, Grimes is still out there, Revis will most likely be a Buc and we brought in one of the best Safeties in the NFL... The off-season isnt over and the Revis trade will probably happen at least a few weeks before the draft.

Sometimes you just have to be patient and Shut Up!!! I You need to SHUT UP already. Nobody wants to hear you constantly run you mouth, all you do is piss people off...

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#4360 : March 23, 2013, 06:43:32 PM

What if Revis won't except the new deal and hits FA to see what he can get? I mean the guy will get his money.

He won't get a dime if he can't play anymore.  That is, unless there is some team dumb enough to give him a pile of guaranteed cash without seeing him backpedal, turn, and jump.

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#4361 : March 23, 2013, 06:49:01 PM

Funnily enough, this thread is a repeated conversation...  over and over and over.  I think that SI article from PK has been posted at least 4 times in this thread...

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#4362 : March 23, 2013, 06:53:40 PM

What good is it to bring a bunch of negativity to the boards, Grimes is still out there, Revis will most likely be a Buc and we brought in one of the best Safeties in the NFL... The off-season isnt over and the Revis trade will probably happen at least a few weeks before the draft.

Sometimes you just have to be patient and Shut Up!!! I You need to SHUT UP already. Nobody wants to hear you constantly run you mouth, all you do is piss people off...

You don't even know what we are talking about, do you?  The Jets might trade him but they don't have to.  Do you disagree?  You want me to shut up because you disagree with my opinion?  Sure Mr Nazi.  I'll gladly silence myself for you...hell no.  Piss off.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#4363 : March 23, 2013, 06:54:37 PM

What if Revis won't except the new deal and hits FA to see what he can get? I mean the guy will get his money.

He won't get a dime if he can't play anymore.  That is, unless there is some team dumb enough to give him a pile of guaranteed cash without seeing him backpedal, turn, and jump.

Like the Bucs if they trade for him?  Hilarious...this is awesome.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#4364 : March 23, 2013, 07:06:32 PM

Sorry, didnt read.  Did you address any of the stupid comments you made when comparing the Revis situation to Goldson leaving in FA?  Probably not,  I'm sure you just got defensive like a little baby and spewed more nonsense that didnt address my points and everyone else's regarding the Jets situation and that they are not going to make Revis the foundation of their rebuilding process.   The Jets have let every major FA they had go and have only been signing street free agents to ensure they get the largest amount of compensatory picks possible for their new coach next year.  Revis and another monster contract is not going to help them in the near future.  Anybody with half a brain can see that not to mention the guy who owns the team wants him traded (just figured I point that out again seeing you keep missing that)

I do like how mad you get on a message board.  Just another sign you arent very bright.  Expected more from somebody with 15 years of message board experience....
Page: 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 ... 612
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools