Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 612

nitey

Hall of Famer
#495 : March 06, 2013, 09:49:06 PM

1st round pick is to  much. I'll give a 2nd this year and conditional next year or a 2nd this year and blount. Anything more than that is to much for a guy coming off a major knee surgery.

nice to read an intelligent post from time to time
Warming up to the idea I see.

Was never opposed to the idea..... was def opposed to giving up a 1st rounder. I wouldn't do that under any circumstances. Too risky.
Normally I'd agree with you, but this year's draft is different.  The talent at top is weak, but is deep through the first 4 rounds.  If I were GM, I'd offer our 1st to NY for Revis and their 3rd rounder. The Jets are desperate to dump Revis, but they'll be the laughing stock of the league if they can't get at least a first rounder for one of the top defensive players in the game.  This would give us a ton of flexibility with keeping our 2nd and having 2 picks in the 3rd and the 4th rounds.  We could easily maneuver back into the 1st if some other player slides a bit, or we could stand pat and pick up 5 good players in those rounds.

I would be on board with this, but you aren't going to get Revis for a pick swap only. I think the Jets might bite on a 1st and a 4th for Revis and a 3rd - maybe. You might have to throw in a conditional pick next year as well. The fact of the matter is this though, and this kinda helps your argument, Revis couldn't pass a team physical today or next week or possibly even by the opening of training camp. Revis might have to start the year on PUP (or inactive for several games) and if that's the case, that 1st and Revis for the Jets 3rd MIGHT be enough to get him, but that's still going to look like a weak deal to the rest of the league.

However, the more I think about this, the more I like the move and hope that Dom can pull the trigger. He hasn't shied away from going after big name players before (Haynesworth in his first year as GM, Nicks and Jackson last season) so I could definitely see Dom attempting to make this move. Also, considering that Peterson came back even better from his injury, I like the chances of Revis being the Revis of old, maybe even with a chip on his shoulder.

This is a move that makes sense to me on so many levels, I really hope we can pull it off (especially for your price).

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#496 : March 06, 2013, 09:54:58 PM

A first rounder in this years draft is beyond value for Revis.  And a third round pick is not much comp either.  Giving away these two picks, even if the third was next years pick, is peanuts for what you get in return.  Which is a guy who can make life miserable for opposing WRs in the NFL.

Dude is a beast, he works out consistently, he claims the big game and brings it.

A first and a third is not nonsense.  It is peanuts in return.

The thirteenth pick in THIS years draft is GOLD?  Pff....

smithcar

Starter

#497 : March 06, 2013, 09:55:49 PM

We cannot afford to go after this guy with his current contract, he would force us into cap hell if there is no increase soon. He wants to be paid like a QB, he has a no franchise clause, he has only one year left on his deal, he wants to play for a SB contender. We could trade for him and lose him in a year to free agency. Not to mention he has a bad leg, not everyone is AP! and can be better after that surgery. We have needs at more than CB, giving up picks to get him isn't the best solution.
That being said if we can get him for Blount and a second or conditional pick I wouldn't be upset but nothing more!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#498 : March 06, 2013, 09:57:05 PM

If the contract is the issue, then yes I can see why people would be upset.  But his contract won't be the highest for a defensive player nextyear...someone always gets that title.

Faine was the highest paid center at one point.  Ugh.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#499 : March 06, 2013, 10:05:13 PM

It doesn't matter how good Revis is anymore.  The Jets can't keep him, and there are very few teams that could be in play.  They have to take the best deal they get offered, even if it's a really crappy deal.  The Jets are in the worst possible position.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#500 : March 06, 2013, 10:09:57 PM

He is an elite player, and its hard to get your hands on one of those and if you want the best you have to invest. It's like that with everything, cars, houses, food, athletes and poon.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#501 : March 06, 2013, 10:10:08 PM

We cannot afford to go after this guy with his current contract, he would force us into cap hell if there is no increase soon. He wants to be paid like a QB, he has a no franchise clause, he has only one year left on his deal, he wants to play for a SB contender. We could trade for him and lose him in a year to free agency. Not to mention he has a bad leg, not everyone is AP! and can be better after that surgery. We have needs at more than CB, giving up picks to get him isn't the best solution.
That being said if we can get him for Blount and a second or conditional pick I wouldn't be upset but nothing more!

No one is trading for Revis absent a new deal so the notion of losing his after one year is nonsense.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#502 : March 06, 2013, 10:10:44 PM

His contract does worry me, too.  When was the last time a team made it to the Superbowl with a high percentage of their cap being tied up in a CB?

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#503 : March 06, 2013, 11:34:00 PM

It's actually kind of funny. Some people have the nerve to complain about our pass D, yet we have the opportunity to acquire the best CB in the league for a pretty decent price, and they all of a sudden say the guy "isn't really that good" and isn't worth it. I'd rather have Revis than any other CB in this draft. Woodson played elite till he was 34. Bailey played elite till up to this year, around same age. Revis is worth it. The man is a BEAST.

MalcolmsPotofGold

Starter

#504 : March 06, 2013, 11:35:53 PM

I haven't been on board the whole time. I really don't like the idea of parting with any first round picks. But just about anything other than a first round pick is worth it.

smithcar

Starter

#505 : March 06, 2013, 11:45:08 PM

It's actually kind of funny. Some people have the nerve to complain about our pass D, yet we have the opportunity to acquire the best CB in the league for a pretty decent price, and they all of a sudden say the guy "isn't really that good" and isn't worth it. I'd rather have Revis than any other CB in this draft. Woodson played elite till he was 34. Bailey played elite till up to this year, around same age. Revis is worth it. The man is a BEAST.
[/quote

Are you saying two 1st round picks is a decent price?

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#506 : March 06, 2013, 11:47:01 PM

Who's saying 2 1st rounders? No one. I said I would be ok with giving a 1st this year and a 3rd next year. Ed Werder said GM's don't expect the Jets to even get a 1st rounder for Revis. 2 2nd rounders? Heck yea

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#507 : March 06, 2013, 11:48:26 PM

[/quote

Who's saying 2 1st rounders? No one. I said I would be ok with giving a 1st this year and a 3rd next year. Ed Werder said GM's don't expect the Jets to even get a 1st rounder for Revis. 2 2nd rounders? Heck yea
On NFL Network they asked a GM what Revis asking price would be and he said "1 first and a conditional 2014 pick that would be at least a 2nd rounder." So possibly 2 first it would take to land him.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#508 : March 06, 2013, 11:49:26 PM

No way am I giving up 2 1st rounders for Revis. And he will not get that, I'll be shocked if he does. A 1st and 3rd is my limit

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#509 : March 06, 2013, 11:52:38 PM

I haven't been on board the whole time. I really don't like the idea of parting with any first round picks. But just about anything other than a first round pick is worth it.

In this draft, who would you rather have vs revis (we're assuming a first, but I feel it will be much lower than the original asking price)?

Rhodes? We aren't getting milliner @13. Besides banks and trufant, the rest are probably average at the nfl level. Matter of fact, is there anyone at 13 we "just gotta have?"

If no, and you can get over some money being put into play for once, why not revis at 13 (and a third next season)? The only reason the bucs would say no at this point is unless they find a "cheaper alternative," that probably being grimes/smith for a few pennies less.
: March 06, 2013, 11:54:24 PM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
Page: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 612
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools