Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 342 343 344 345 346 ... 612

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#5145 : April 01, 2013, 04:13:28 PM

Check out who was covering the Raiders FB for this passing TD at the 30 second clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6xUY2i5Cac
Clearly one of two things happened there

1) Ahmad Black didn't provide the help Myron Lewis was expecting and its entirely Ahmad Black's fault
2) Knowing that Marcel Reece could never be Myron Lewis, Myron Lewis took pity upon him and allowed him to score

youngone

Hall of Famer
#5146 : April 01, 2013, 04:35:37 PM

Check out who was covering the Raiders FB for this passing TD at the 30 second clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6xUY2i5Cac
Clearly one of two things happened there

1) Ahmad Black didn't provide the help Myron Lewis was expecting and its entirely Ahmad Black's fault
2) Knowing that Marcel Reece could never be Myron Lewis, Myron Lewis took pity upon him and allowed him to score

Clearly #2

Myron is such a baller, that he allowed that one to slide knowing that he could have easily took that to the house. Myron is so good that NFL wouldn't have allowed us to take whole 6 points if he ran it back for a touchdown.. It would have been unfair.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#5147 : April 01, 2013, 05:44:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that Gorrer was wearing Myron Lewis' jersey and a dread wig on that particular play.

gone

Hall of Famer
#5148 : April 01, 2013, 06:07:23 PM

1) Revis is an elite talent, who wouldn't be on the trade market if Jets weren't rebuilding
This is not specific to our circumstance, it applies to every potential suitor

2) He plays a position where we are devoid of anything close to elite talent
Not having elite talent does not automatically translate into needing to acquire elite talent.  There is more than one way to skin a cat

3) We are a good secondary away from being a playoff team
Possibly.  Possibly not. Even assuming that is true, Revis is not the only route to improving a secondary.  Our pass rush sucks too

4) We have an immense amount of cap space
          (This is where you scream: "But there's other teams out there with as much or more cap space!!!&1@")
And they are right to say this, there are teams with enough space and teams that can fit him with minimal effort, so again, cap space is not unique to us

5) Our GM needs to get into the playoffs this year or he's likely fired
I disagree with that overly simplistic assumption.  You are stating opinion as if it were fact.

6) Rookie corners, historically, don't play very well. So they wouldn't improve the secondary much this year
Now that the world didn't end last December I'm hoping we have the sense to plan for more than just one season.  And again, this applies to other teams as well

7) After the Wright contract turned to be a disaster and the VJax contract turned out so well, Mark decided to only spend big money on elite talent (yes, I understand this isn't a novel idea, but at least he figured it out at some point)
Again, you seem to make things up out of thin air.  How do you know what changes - if any - have taken place in Mark's philosophy after watching last season's FA play out? There isn't any evidence to work off of yet.

We are the lone suitor due to a matter of circumstance, not because everyone else is a genius 
It's not that everyone else is a genius.  But comparing them to a guy you say yourself might get fired next year, well, maybe they do know something he doesn't

If you want to say that one those two non Revis plans would be better long term, I'd probably agree with you.  But we aren't playing long term. We've signed 3 Pro Bowlers in the past two offseasons. We drafted at least two of them in the past 3 drafts. It's go big or go home time
and even with those signings we still have major cap room.  You seem to think we mortgaged the future and have to win now and then cycle back into rebuilding.  That's a choice we can make, not a fait accompli

Bottom line is there are plenty of teams that would be improved by adding a healthy Revis, have the cap space, and the sense of urgency.  We aren't unique, we just have the ability to outbid if we want. 

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#5149 : April 01, 2013, 06:40:37 PM

According to Adam Schein when Woody Johnson interviewed GM finalists he made it clear: "You must trade Darrelle Revis"
Link?

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#5150 : April 01, 2013, 06:47:06 PM

According to Adam Schein when Woody Johnson interviewed GM finalists he made it clear: "You must trade Darrelle Revis"
Link?

Simple google search...Here it is...and yes..you may want to take it with a grain of salt, considering the source.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=85741

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#5151 : April 01, 2013, 06:57:06 PM

I'm pretty sure Myron Lewis has never allowed a completion, ever.

Once, when he was in band camp.

Of all the nonsensical bullshlt posted in this thread, something was finally posted that made me laugh  ;D

-------------------------------------------------------

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#5152 : April 01, 2013, 07:33:54 PM

Off Topic: 3sk, y'all were doin' so good with dealing with java's alts. Don't fall off the wagon.

He's that Danlowe dude

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#5153 : April 01, 2013, 07:40:44 PM

I'm pretty sure Myron Lewis has never allowed a completion, ever.

Once, when he was in band camp.

Of all the nonsensical bullshlt posted in this thread, something was finally posted that made me laugh  ;D

That was pretty good buccaneer4ever!

I guess you had to be there... band camp.

Hoist the Battleflag

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#5154 : April 01, 2013, 07:50:43 PM

Myron Lewis was there...and then he got burned on the play.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#5155 : April 01, 2013, 07:51:48 PM

Yeah, let's not add revis and see how it goes....

I mean, we only passed on osi, freeney, Abraham, and dumervil...then let miller and bennett walk for pretty cheap.

Bottom line really is, and the question should be asked,

..why are other teams acquiring talent, and we're signing safeties and 30 year old ex-Rutgers runningbacks?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#5156 : April 01, 2013, 08:27:53 PM

Yeah, let's not add revis and see how it goes....

I mean, we only passed on osi, freeney, Abraham, and dumervil...then let miller and bennett walk for pretty cheap.

Bottom line really is, and the question should be asked,

..why are other teams acquiring talent, and we're signing safeties and 30 year old ex-Rutgers runningbacks?

Schiano knows something. He's friends with Bill B.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#5157 : April 01, 2013, 08:30:19 PM

1) Revis is an elite talent, who wouldn't be on the trade market if Jets weren't rebuilding
This is not specific to our circumstance, it applies to every potential suitor

2) He plays a position where we are devoid of anything close to elite talent
Not having elite talent does not automatically translate into needing to acquire elite talent.  There is more than one way to skin a cat

3) We are a good secondary away from being a playoff team
Possibly.  Possibly not. Even assuming that is true, Revis is not the only route to improving a secondary.  Our pass rush sucks too

4) We have an immense amount of cap space
          (This is where you scream: "But there's other teams out there with as much or more cap space!!!&1@")
And they are right to say this, there are teams with enough space and teams that can fit him with minimal effort, so again, cap space is not unique to us

5) Our GM needs to get into the playoffs this year or he's likely fired
I disagree with that overly simplistic assumption.  You are stating opinion as if it were fact.

6) Rookie corners, historically, don't play very well. So they wouldn't improve the secondary much this year
Now that the world didn't end last December I'm hoping we have the sense to plan for more than just one season.  And again, this applies to other teams as well

7) After the Wright contract turned to be a disaster and the VJax contract turned out so well, Mark decided to only spend big money on elite talent (yes, I understand this isn't a novel idea, but at least he figured it out at some point)
Again, you seem to make things up out of thin air.  How do you know what changes - if any - have taken place in Mark's philosophy after watching last season's FA play out? There isn't any evidence to work off of yet.

We are the lone suitor due to a matter of circumstance, not because everyone else is a genius 
It's not that everyone else is a genius.  But comparing them to a guy you say yourself might get fired next year, well, maybe they do know something he doesn't

If you want to say that one those two non Revis plans would be better long term, I'd probably agree with you.  But we aren't playing long term. We've signed 3 Pro Bowlers in the past two offseasons. We drafted at least two of them in the past 3 drafts. It's go big or go home time
and even with those signings we still have major cap room.  You seem to think we mortgaged the future and have to win now and then cycle back into rebuilding.  That's a choice we can make, not a fait accompli

Bottom line is there are plenty of teams that would be improved by adding a healthy Revis, have the cap space, and the sense of urgency.  We aren't unique, we just have the ability to outbid if we want.
I'll take some time to hit on a few of your counter points

If we have a "good" secondary combined with our good run defense, we'd likely be a top 12 defense. And if you have a top 12 offense AND defense, you're likely a playoff team.

If you think GM gets to keep his job with multiple top 10 picks and no playoffs over 5 years, you're entitled to that opinion, I just disagree with it

It's been reported locally about the change in the Free Agents we target: Elite players.

Either everybody is a genius and Dom isn't (he should be fired) or you think he shouldn't be fired. You can't have both.

And once again, no there is no other team with an awful secondary, a lot of cap space, and also a very strong chance of making the playoffs IF they spend a lot of money on the best CB in the League. Yes, there are other teams with a lot of cap space but those teams

A) Are already playoff teams (Packers, Bengals)
B) Already have a good secondary (Chiefs, Bengals)
C) Aren't close enough to a playoff birth to justify spending large amount on one nonQB (Philly)

So ya, anyway.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#5158 : April 01, 2013, 08:40:56 PM

Honestly, all the signings we made have been sensible, even if they aren't all blockbusters. Saying that dom should be fired if we don't get to the playoffs is a bit of a broad statement. You have no way of knowing the parameters with which we do or don't get in. I think it's much more sensible to wair until after the season and then judge, instead of giving any kind of pre-conceived requirements.
: April 01, 2013, 08:44:34 PM Beatles123

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#5159 : April 01, 2013, 08:54:57 PM

There's also assumptions being made that we let those guys walk. There's also the possibility they didn't want to stay.

Page: 1 ... 342 343 344 345 346 ... 612
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools