Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 393 394 395 396 397 ... 612

pljlsplltt

Second String

« #5910 : April 08, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »

I have a feeling we trade 13 for Revis...but with our second and one of our 4ths we trade back into the fourth for a player like Trufant/Rhodes/Taylor or another second teir CB that can go anywhere from 10 to the second round. Than have Revis/Wright/Rookie/LJ/Gaitor at CB and Goldson/Barron/Barber/Black at safety. That would be a good looking secondary especially if Bowers and Clayborne and McCoy can get constant pressure on the QB, our D would be greatly improved and we would be primed to make a serious playoff run. (As long as Freeman plays up to his potential that he has shown in spurts)

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #5911 : April 08, 2013, 10:52:11 PM »

I'll take Shields for our 2nd and a couple rookie CBs. Moving along.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #5912 : April 09, 2013, 12:08:32 AM »

Could a Darrelle Revis Trade Happen On Draft Day? Don’t Count on It.

Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:28 pm

by Ken Boehlke

Everybody seems to be trying to find a deadline for a possible Revis to Tampa Bay trade. There have been the few deadlines that have passed, the deadline on April 15th due to Revis’ workout bonus, and a deadline as late as draft day. I have no idea what the actual date is, but I’m here to tell you, draft day is not an option, and there are a number of reasons why.

Draft day trades are not uncommon in the NFL. We see a few every single round. Draft day trades involving players are rare, but not unheard of. But draft day trades involving injured players with large contracts wanting extensions? Not so much. Let me open the Pandora’s Box of obstacles in the way of such a deal.

Let’s start with the obvious. Darrelle Revis is hurt. He tore his ACL last season and hasn’t played a down since the injury. What this means in relation to a trade is that Revis will have to pass a physical before a deal would be approved. Think he can get to Tampa and pass a physical during the 10 minutes the Buccaneers are on the clock? Can we do it via Skype? Didn’t think so. Meaning, if the trade is made and the Jets make the selection at 13, then if Revis fails the physical the Bucs now get the rights to the player New York selected.

One hurdle, no problem, they can find a way around that. But that’s only the beginning. The next issue is the contract. The Buccaneers aren’t going to pull the trigger on a deal until they know they can lock Revis down long term. And they aren’t actually allowed to talk to Revis or his agents until a deal is pending. Of course, it’s been reported that the Bucs and Revis are on the same page, but the ink can’t touch the paper until after the deal is submitted. That would give the Bucs 10 minutes to make sure that everything is kosher. Any hiccups, we’re back to either missing the pick or getting stuck with the Jets selection.

The last problem is the Buccaneers draft strategy. The way Tampa Bay approaches this draft changes vastly if they get Revis as compared to if they don’t. These guys work all day every day getting prepared for the draft. However, you put yourself into a bad situation if the strategy monumentally changes an hour into the night. The Bucs would have a little more time than in the past with the 3 day draft, but they still would not be in an ideal situation. A spot they would be in if the deal is made a week or so in advance.

The Jets also hold all the cards when the Bucs are on the clock. There’s a deadline, and there’s the fact that the Jets will have already made one selection (they currently hold the ninth pick). The Bucs currently have a lot of leverage, as it’s clear the Jets are throwing out facts to the media through sources to muddy the waters and try and regain leverage. Draft day would help to shift power back into the Jets’ hands, and the Buccaneers would be wise to work something out now, or wait until after the draft, when only 2014 draft picks are on the line.

Could a draft day deal go down? Of course. This is the NFL, anything can happen. But if it does, know that the Bucs are taking a giant leap of faith. One that will have to be viewed as a desperation move. I don’t think the Buccaneers want to come off as desperate, but in this league, you just never know.

If draft come comes, and Revis hasn’t tried on the pewter pants yet, don’t sweat out the 10 minutes while the Bucs are on the clock waiting for the deal to happen. Because it won’t.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/04/08/could-a-darrelle-revis-trade-happen-on-draft-day-dont-count-on-it/

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #5913 : April 09, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »

Jets, Revis in no-win showdown

Apr 8, 2013 8:42 PM ET

Peter Schrager is the Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com

The New York Jets-Darrelle Revis “They love me; they love me not” saga has taken yet another sour twist this week. Any romance -- any spark at all -- that was left in this relationship may be forever spoiled now.

The Jets plan to enforce language in the star cornerback's contract that requires him to participate in the team’s voluntary workouts on April 15 to collect bonus money, according to Rich Cimini at ESPN.

This was more than merely salt in the wound. This was a petty move by Jets management; one that could have been tactfully (and classily) avoided. It shows the deterioration of one of the rockiest of player-team relationships in recent NFL history. This is a team putting its foot down for the sake of putting its foot down. In my eyes, it’s short-sighted.

Revis is currently rehabbing his surgically repaired knee in Arizona, patiently waiting for the trade winds to pass. But a month has passed since Revis was first linked to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in numerous trade reports. It’s been six weeks since he was the leading buzz generator at the NFL Draft Scouting Combine in Indianapolis back in February.

For all the New York Daily News back pages and Twitter mania surrounding him, Revis remains a Jet. Still. The Buccaneers haven’t given up the farm as some expected. No “NFC West team” (as was originally indicated in numerous reports) has offered multiple first-round picks. The line of suitors isn’t exactly forming around the block. Do teams want Revis? Sure. Given he has a full recovery from his injury, he’s arguably the top cornerback in all of football. Do they want to mortgage their futures, knowing the corner the Jets have backed themselves into, to get him? Apparently not.

A $3 million bonus is nothing to scoff at, obviously. The Jets shouldn’t just give that to a player out of good faith, especially after they’ve already granted Revis $1 million for a previous roster bonus he met earlier this offseason. But if the Jets do, indeed, plan on trading Revis prior to the NFL Draft — which I think they ultimately still will — why even bring him into the building? What kind of message is that? If it’s a matter of 6-8 workouts, why even cross that road?

There’s uncomfortable and then there’s awkward.

Uncomfortable might be Kansas City Chiefs offensive tackle Branden Albert openly stating that he wants to “stay away” from the team’s facilities until he has to be there, as he said last week, three weeks removed from having the franchise tag placed on him. Awkward is having Revis, a respected, well-liked team leader and a perennial All-Pro, being forced to show up for OTAs despite his current uncertainty with the team.

Want to start fresh in 2013? Want to point to all the changes on the coaching staff, on the roster, and in the front office and say, “It’s a new regime, let’s start anew?” Well, forcing your best player — a holdover from the circus year that was 2012 — to show his face at the team’s first official events of the new season, knowing he likely won’t be there come training camp, might not be the best way to go about things.

Oddly enough, though, neither the Jets nor Revis really hold the proverbial hammer, here. The Jets have little leverage with the 31 other teams at this point. Revis is an unrestricted free agent next year and it’s unlikely they’ll be bringing him back for the money he’ll demand. Due to the language in his contract, he can’t be given the franchise tag, either. So, if the Jets want anything in exchange for Darrelle Revis, now is the time to trade him. Time is of the essence. If this drags out until training camp, it’ll be another Jets media circus nightmare. It’ll make Tim Tebow’s secret Wildcat package sessions look like PBS. Additionally, teams will be set with their rosters and their payrolls. It's got to be now. Otherwise, it's a mess.

Revis, however, wants his bonus money. He’s not going to turn down $3 million out of pride. He’ll show up if that’s what’s at stake. He may be confused, mad, and disappointed — a great combination to kick the year off with — but he’ll be there. Furthermore, Revis and his agents aren’t dumb. Coming off major knee surgery, it wouldn’t be wise to hold out. Teams need to see him. They’re all prospective suitors at this point. Come August, he's not going to want to sit out any longer than he has to. Could he really put on a Jets jersey again? And be a good soldier, despite months of public trading block discussion? It's difficult to see it happening.

Regardless of how this all turns out, it’s a no-win for both sides. The team and the player have been dancing for years, but the music appears to be coming to an end. Multiple off-seasons of public spats, NFL Films-produced trips to the Roscoe Diner and games of “contract chicken” may culminate with an awkward dead-end in the middle of April. This is more than a matter of a few off-season workouts and $3 million.

It’s the Jets getting the final word.

Or at least, trying to.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #5914 : April 09, 2013, 12:20:27 AM »

Now hear this, Jets....... Take the deal to end Revis drama now

Jason La Canfora

CBS Sports NFL Insider

April 8, 2013 6:14 pm ET

It's time for the New York Jets to trade Darrelle Revis. Time to end the charade and take the best offer Tampa Bay has on the table and move on. Do it no later than during the first round of the draft, and preferably before next Monday.

Because that's when this fiasco could take another step toward Ringling Bros. terrain. New Jets general manager John Idzik inherited a mess, and has been charged with the complicated task of sweeping out a circus-like culture that has infected this organization and trying to retool for the future.

Having Revis actually report for the start of New York's offseason program next Monday, and kick-start another media free-for-all, just doesn't seem prudent to me. Take a bounty of second- and third-round picks, as many as you can get, from Tampa if it still won't part with the first-rounder, and move on from a player who seems to have no long-term future in New York.

To review, Jets owner Woody Johnson wants to deal Revis, arguably the game's premier defender before tearing his ACL this past season, at the right price, and has since revamped his front office a few months back. Revis, a perennial All-Pro corner, never asked for a trade or threatened to hold out this offseason. He is entering the final year of the band-aid deal he signed in 2010 and has been rehabbing in Arizona, and making good progress doing so.

New York's offseason program begins April 15, and, as part of the last Revis contract in an effort to quash any future holdouts, there is language in the deal that requires Revis to take part in roughly 80 percent of the team's offseason program this offseason or risk $3 million in bonuses (he has a $3 million salary this season as well). And, as ESPN.com first reported, the Jets are holding him to the language of the deal. If he wants that $3 million he has to rehab with the team ... all while the Jets try to trade him in a passive-aggressive manner.

The Jets are sticking to the mantra that they aren't shopping Revis but are listening to offers. Everyone in the NFL knows they have been negotiating with the Bucs most of this offseason and that Johnson doesn't plan to re-sign Revis after the 2013 season at what the cornerback thinks he is worth (and the Bucs are prepared to pay; sources continue to affirm a new contract is not the holdup with this trade).

So next week Revis, the team's best player and one of its few remaining leaders, will fly cross country, drop a successful rehab, and then spend the ensuing weeks between now and the draft (or whenever a deal is completed) in an awkward limbo that puts the media spotlight back on the situation, with hordes of media camped outside the team's facility on Revis Watch. Teams are not required to do any formal media events at this time, and last year the Jets conducted only a few media conference calls when offseason workouts began but had no availability at the facility. But if you think that's going to prevent this from being a hot topic around New York, and stop reporters from staking out the place, well, you've never picked up a New York Post

So, I just don't get it.

According to sources, Revis' camp communicated to the team that he would gladly report on the 15th, undergo any medical testing, meet with officials and coaches, but that, for the good of all parties, he then would return to Arizona until after the draft -- given that if the Jets can't get what they want in draft pick compensation before the draft, the odds of Revis playing a snap of football in New York this season greatly increase. So avoid the sideshow, get the medicals right, and then if there is no deal, he flies back to New York 10 days later and completes his rehab at the team facility (and Revis has no issues with any team doctors -- not even close -- it's more about just continuing to focus on his knee, and letting the trade stuff play out).

The Jets balked.

I suggested to a team source then that, if Revis is going to report on the 15th and be around the team every day from that point on, that the player and Idzik hold a press conference, get it out of the way, proclaim Revis would be a Jet in 2013, and move on -- and that's a scenario Revis wouldn't have a problem with, from what I gather. I was told that if the Jets did that, it would differ from what they have said all along about this affair, that they were listening if people were calling. Just remember, they're not really trying to trade him, right?

Obviously the team knows a deal could well be completed between now and April 26, and having that press conference could end up backfiring. I get that much. But what's another few days of Revis rehabbing in Arizona going to hurt? And will it look any better in the locker room to have him report next Monday, and then get dealt a few days later? Is that any less awkward?

Revis isn't going to risk $3 million to avoid another uncomfortable situation not of his own making, sources said, so you can be damn sure he'll be flying to New York next Sunday -- assuming he is not on Tampa's roster by then -- and then, well, let the stakeouts begin.

The Jets aren't saying much about the situation at this time, with Idzik focused solely on the draft (which makes total sense), and the team sticking to its stance that it will listen to offers, etc. The Jets aren't offering much in terms of explanation, though some have suggested they don't think the media reaction will be that crazy, pointing out the facility is closed to reporters this time of year anyway.

I heard rumblings this might be Johnson's way of showing Revis who's boss, and making a point (the only logical conclusion to some), and the team source said this was a management decision and not an ownership one.

Regardless, I don't know why now, at such a tenuous point for the franchise in trying to break free from the chaos of 2012, and at a time when it has been engaged in trade talks to ship its best player away, why it would want that player in the facility eight hours a day for the next 10 days while continuing to explore options to deal him. Really? And while he is doing well in Arizona and on a good program that team doctors haven't expressed any concern about to the best of my knowledge.

I'd tweak the contract language to mandate, say, attendance at 60 percent of the offseason program knowing full well Revis isn't going to skip out -- he wants the $3 million, and obviously holding out now coming off an ACL repair doesn't make sense -- and give him the wiggle room to stay away until after the draft. Then have the big (phony) Kumbaya press conference April 29 if a trade hasn't been made and Revis reports then.

(The media blew everything out of proportion. We never had any intention of dealing him. There were only preliminary talks. We never initiated anything, we only listened. We love Darrelle. We hope he's a Jet for life. You know, that press conference).

Trust me, Revis knows what's been going on, and, on the odd chance he is part of Gang Green in 2013, this next episode about to begin next week isn't going to make him feel any better about it. Both sides knew what the deal was back in 2010 when they concocted this contract to end his holdout and create a Hard Knocks ratings bonanza. They knew if they couldn't get a new deal done before the 2013 season, then, with the Jets sacrificing the ability to franchise him, things could get weird. And they have. And, again, Idzik is just walking into this mess, and I believe he will prove to be a steady hand to help lead them from the abyss.

I'd reconsider this particular stance, however, between now and whenever Revis is set to board that plane to New York. Let him be, just as he kept a low profile a few weeks back when the ownership meetings were in Phoenix.

Let this play out between now and the draft, and avoid further fanning a combustible situation for a fan base that has been through enough angst and drama already.

BucsGlory

Second String

« #5915 : April 09, 2013, 12:23:14 AM »

There's a lot of good  points in that article

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #5916 : April 09, 2013, 12:26:12 AM »

Joe Namath tweets for first time in months, calls out Darrelle Revis

April 8th, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Broadway Joe hasn’t had much to say this offseason, but took the first chance available to call out Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis. Surprising, right?

Joe Namath        ✔ @RealJoeNamath

I believe it behooves Darelle Revis to join his Jet teammates in Florham Park on 4/15.

6:42 PM - 08 Apr 13

Revis, who has been rehabbing his surgically repaired knee in Arizona, has been on the trading block the past few months. On Monday, a report surfaced that the Jets insist the star cornerback report to an offseason conditioning program, which begins April 15. They have even gone as far as enforcing language in his contract that would prohibit him from receiving a $3 million roster bonus.

Having a hard time feeling bad for Revis? You shouldn’t. When the star cornerback renegotiated his deal in 2010, he agreed that he would participate in approximately 80 percent of the workouts or he would forfeit bonuses that amount to a cool $3 million.

On another note, why does it always seem that Namath needs to inject his opinion in the latest Jets news? Whether it’s Rex Ryan, Mark Sanchez or … dare I say … Tim Tebow, Namath always has something to say. Whatever it takes to keep him relevant, I guess.

http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/joe-namath-tweets-for-first-time-in-months-calls-out-darrelle-revis/

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #5917 : April 09, 2013, 12:32:24 AM »

The Jets Pro Bowl cornerback has the opportunity to make $3 million through three $1 million bonuses.

Joel Corry

National Football Post

April 08, 2013, 02:48 PM EST..

As initially reported by ESPNNewYork.com’s Rich Cimini, the New York Jets are insisting that Darrelle Revis report for voluntary offseason workouts when they begin on April 15 even though the star cornerback could be traded in the days leading up to the NFL Draft. Revis prefers returning to Arizona to temporarily continue rehabilitating his torn left anterior cruciate ligament after reporting to the Jets for an examination by their medical and training staff until there is a little more clarity with his situation.

The renegotiated contract Revis signed in 2010 after his 36-day holdout—his second holdout in three years—contains a $1 million fifth day of the league year (March 16) roster bonus, a $1 million training camp bonus and a $1 million offseason workout bonus.

It has been mischaracterized that Revis will forfeit $3 million in bonuses if he doesn’t participate in the Jets’ workout program. Only $1 million of Revis’ bonuses are strictly tied to his workout participation. According to the language in Revis’ 2010 contract, the requirements for each $1 million bonus are as follows:

$1 Million Fifth Day Of The League Year Roster Bonus

Revis must meet three conditions to be eligible for his $1 million roster bonus. In addition to being on the Jets’ roster on the fifth day of the league year—which has already been satisfied—Revis must timely report to and fully participate in their entire offseason mini-camps and training camps. The contract expressly states that he can’t earn the bonus if he fails to satisfy any one of these conditions.

Revis will receive payment of the bonus during the regular season concurrent with his $3 million base salary provided that he fulfills all of his obligations under this clause.

$1 Million Offseason Workout Bonus

Revis appeared in just two games for the Jets last season before suffering a season-ending knee injury.

Revis must satisfactorily participate and complete 83% of the total scheduled workouts and participate in 85% of the Organized Team Activity days in the offseason workout program. The same mini-camp and training camp requirements for the roster bonus exist for the workout bonus.

A satisfactory workout consists of a strength session, conditioning session and skill session at a high level of intensity under the supervision of the Jets’ strength coach. Revis’ ACL injury isn’t an issue with the workout bonus. Supervised rehabilitation of an injury with the Jets’ trainer counts as satisfactory participation until Revis is able to resume full participation in the workout program.

Mini-camp participation does not count towards the workout program. This bonus is payable within five days of September 1 if all of the conditions are satisfied. The conditions to earn the bonus can be excused with written consent by head coach Rex Ryan or general manager John Idzik.

$1 Million Training Camp Bonus

Revis must report to training camp on the date indicated by the Jets in writing, and fully and satisfactorily participate in the entire camp. As with the workout bonus, supervised rehabilitation qualifies as participation until Revis is able to fully participate in training camp. Both conditions must be met for Revis to collect this bonus. It is payable within five days of September 15.

The respective positions of both sides have merit. It wouldn’t hurt the Jets to excuse Revis’ workout participation until after the draft so that he wouldn’t jeopardize earning his $1 million bonus. The Jets could require Revis to adhere to the provisions of the workout bonus in order to collect it, which is generally how NFL teams operate, once the draft is over if he hasn’t been traded. For example, John Abraham forfeited a $750,000 first regular season game roster bonus in 2012 because he didn’t fulfill the requirements of the Atlanta Falcons’ workout program. Revis’ presence will create a distraction no matter when he shows up as long as he is on the trading block.

Complicating matters is the belief by NFL teams that their staff and facilities are best for player rehab regardless of the competency of the private trainer and the player’s comfort with him. It may be a little arrogant on their part, but team’s feel justified considering their training staff has the best knowledge of a player’s injury history and the significant financial investment they make in players. However, the risk of player re-injury isn’t any greater with the team’s staff or with a competent private trainer.

If Revis is adamant about rehabbing his knee in Arizona, the only bonus he will forfeit is his workout bonus. His roster bonus and training camp bonus are not tied to offseason workouts. All three bonuses have a training camp participation component.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #5918 : April 09, 2013, 12:35:07 AM »

What is wrong with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers front office?

April 8, 2013   ·   

By Eric Schmidt

For the most part, I believe the Tampa Bay Buccaneers front office under the leadership of general manager Mark Dominik has made some solid moves. The Buccaneers have had some recent draft success and the last few years the team has become active in the free agent market, adding key players to their roster. However, I can’t seem to get my head around what the team is doing regarding New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports this morning that the Buccaneers are becoming frustrated over the situation regarding Revis. If Cole’s sources on this story are correct, the Buccaneers are prepared to give the New York Jets their first, third and sixth-round selections this year and pay Revis $15-16 million per year. Why the Jets, a team handcuffed by salary cap constraints don’t jump on that offer is beyond me. The move would give the Jets five picks in the first three rounds of a draft that is regarded to have exceptional depth.

Why the Bucs would be willing to part with all those draft picks for Revis is also beyond me. Yes, when healthy, Revis is a game changers at the corner position but at that cost? But, is he going to return to his form after ACL surgery? Will $15-16 million be enough to keep Revis happy? He has a history of holdouts and being disgruntled over his contracts.

For less than half that amount, the Buccaneers could have signed two veteran corners in free agency this year. Brent Grimes and Nnamdi Asomugha. Grimes is coming off an Achilles injury and signed with the Miami Dolphins. Asomugha, one of the highest sought after free agents two years ago is coming off a poor year, but do you really think he’s forgotten how to play corner?

Asomugha is a physical corner and possesses great size at 6-foot-3 215 pounds. The San Francisco 49ers stole him for a one-year $1.35 million base salary with another $1.65 available through incentives. Tampa had no interest in either player according to reports.

The Buccaneers have been sitting on their hands in free agency regarding the corner position. If the deal for Revis blows up, the Buccaneers will have little other option than to fill the need through the NFL Draft later this month. This has been a curious set of moves by a team that really has been making some solid decisions over the last few years.

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2013/04/what-is-wrong-with-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers-front-office/

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #5919 : April 09, 2013, 12:52:09 AM »

OMG:

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #5920 : April 09, 2013, 12:55:02 AM »

Lol Horse **CENSORED**

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5921 : April 09, 2013, 12:56:55 AM »

OMG:

Timmy boy and Vinnie were working out together in Tampa Monday.......So not sayin, just sayin.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

gone

Hall of Famer
« #5922 : April 09, 2013, 12:58:33 AM »

Someone falls for it every time
That's what makes it interesting.

What makes it any less **CENSORED**y than a scam thread title or fake thread?  Not everyone follows twitter and has time to look up everything people here post.  We assume people are being serious when they post something that is supposed to be real. 

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #5923 : April 09, 2013, 01:18:04 AM »

Any and all tweets I post can hereby be considered fake.

Well, no, this one is totally real:

But the rest will all be fake.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #5924 : April 09, 2013, 01:24:30 AM »

Im surprised pr hasnt gone after the fake tweets. Its the same as linking a false article or just flat out making up lies. They used to ban people for this as it was about the only thing they moderated.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.
  Page: 1 ... 393 394 395 396 397 ... 612
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools