Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 462 463 464 465 466 ... 612

Knucknbuc

Pro Bowler

« #6945 : April 18, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »

Revis here yet?

mrchillwill

Pro Bowler

« #6946 : April 18, 2013, 11:17:31 AM »

Darrelle Revis ‏@Revis24 19h
BROWNS???
« : April 18, 2013, 11:19:03 AM mrchillwill »

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #6947 : April 18, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »

Idzki just said trading Revis is an option! Lol, wow, just wow. Thanks for breaking the news a month late.

When they were dodging it - that's when it was an option
Now that its an "option" - they are past the point of no return. They have to do a deal or it could be very ugly in NY this season.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #6948 : April 18, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »

BROWNS???

Not sure about the validity of this, but its wouldnt surprise me, as they need a corner and have the cap to do it.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

BucD

Hall of Famer

« #6949 : April 18, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »

Bucs would look bad without Darrelle Revis
April, 18, 2013 | By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
Cornerback Darrelle Revis certainly has the star power that would get Bucs fans fired up.
_________________________________________________________________________________

With each day that passes without the Tampa Bay Buccaneers trading for Darrelle Revis, the more convinced I become they will trade for the cornerback.

New York Jets general manager John Idzik and Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik, the guys who used to brew the coffee and make copies when Rich McKay, Jerry Angelo and Tim Ruskell ran Tampa Bay’s personnel department, are holding a very public staring contest.

For more than a month, we’ve been hearing rumors about Tampa Bay dealing for Revis. You can throw out the ones that were floated to try to get Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez involved. But I think everything else -- such as the various compensation packages that have been discussed and the Jets hitting the “pause button" -- is based, at least somewhat, in truth.

The Jets almost have to get rid of Revis because he is headed into the final year of his contract and New York has no intention of giving him a massive long-term extension. That alone, I used to think, gave the Buccaneers the upper hand.

But now I’m not so sure. I’m thinking the closer it gets to next week’s NFL draft, the more the Jets have the upper hand.

Quite simply, the Buccaneers have set themselves up for (perceived) failure if they don’t trade for Revis.

They’re sitting there with more than $30 million in salary-cap room. They’re the only team in the NFL with the room to pay Revis, and it’s widely believed they’re the only team with interest in trading for a guy who might be the best cornerback on the planet but is coming off a major knee injury.

I get it that Dominik is playing the waiting game because he doesn’t want to give up too much of his team’s present or future as compensation. That’s smart and the prudent thing to do. But there’s going to have to come a point very soon where Dominik has to make the deal.

Anything less than Revis in pewter is going to cause problems in Tampa Bay. There already is a large segment of the fan base that thinks the Glazer family, which owns the team, doesn’t spend enough money. Presumably, that thinking has played a role in the Buccaneers having trouble selling out Raymond James Stadium in recent years.

There are other reasons for the attendance issue. This franchise has been lacking in star power for a long time. There was sizzle when Jon Gruden was the coach, Derrick Brooks was tackling everything that moved and doing it with class, and the likes of Keyshawn Johnson, Warren Sapp and Simeon Rice were as entertaining off the field as on it.

These days, the Bucs are coached by Greg Schiano. He might be a good coach, but the flashiest thing you can say about Schiano is that he once held an office in the same building as former Rutgers basketball coach Mike Rice.

The Bucs have some nice young players (Doug Martin, Lavonte David, Gerald McCoy and Josh Freeman) and some talented veterans (Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks). Perhaps it’s because Schiano prefers his players to stay out of the spotlight, but Tampa Bay’s current roster is dull.

Revis would change all that. The guy would be the biggest star to walk into One Buccaneer Place since the day Brooks was shown the door. Heck, Revis could end up being bigger than Brooks.

First off, Revis would go a long way toward fixing a pass defense that was worst in the league last year. I know some fans out there think the Bucs would be better off not giving up several draft picks when no one is sure how healthy Revis’ knee is.

But let’s say the Bucs stay put at No. 13. They’ll have to draft either Florida State’s Xavier Rhodes or Washington’s Desmond Trufant if they want a cornerback. Or maybe they’ll get really daring and trade up into the top five to get Alabama’s Dee Milliner.

I’m not saying any of those three guys are bad players, but they’re not as good as a healthy Revis. And when it comes to flash, they would bring about as much excitement as last year’s first-round pick, safety Mark Barron, who is one of the quietest guys on the roster.

That’s why the Buccaneers need to go ahead and make the Revis trade. If they don’t, they’re going to look really bad to their fans, who have been waiting for this deal for weeks.

Even after spending big money on Nicks and Jackson in free agency last year and safety Dashon Goldson this year, ownership still needs to convince fans that it’s willing to pay whatever it takes to put a winning product on the field.

Revis would make the Buccaneers a better football team, bring some national attention and put people in the stands.

If the Buccaneers somehow don’t pull off a deal that has looked like a sure thing for a long time, they’re going to have a lot of explaining to do to a fan base that doesn’t want to hear anything but that Revis is coming to Tampa Bay.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/46962/tampa-bay-buccaneers-would-look-bad-without-darrelle-revis

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #6950 : April 18, 2013, 11:39:06 AM »

Any chance revis and his agent would fight that trade? Idk the legalities of it, but I'm assuming revis wouldn't want to go to the browns.No one ever does.

mrchillwill

Pro Bowler

« #6951 : April 18, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »

It's official.

smithcar

Starter

« #6952 : April 18, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »

Lots of people seem to be speculating that the trade will go down while we are on the clock in round 1.  I find this hard to believe for a few reasons, would we be dumb enough to make this trade without having our doctor check him out?  Would we be dumb enough to make this trade without contract talks, and something at least verbally agreed upon??  If this trade is going to happen during the draft all these things should happen prior to the draft.  Now maybe we have been granted access to Revis and have had some of these talks already.  With all the other info being leaked I am sure this would have been leaked somehow.  Dominik has put himself into a no win situation, if he makes this trade and it doesn't come up roses he is screwed, if he doesn't make this trade he is screwed because we still cannot defend the pass or at least we don't look any better.  I could argue that we are worse than last year.  I know we signed Goldson but we lost two starting D-linemen.  With a worse pass rush and potentially similar secondary how can we expect better results.  If we throw Rhodes out there(if we draft him) he will be better than one player who was out there last year but will make lots of rookie mistakes. I really don't know anymore if CB is our biggest concern on defence?  Both our secondary and pass rush are brutal, so why put everything on Revis as our savior???  He cannot pressure the QB, all he can do is make it harder to complete passes to one guy, what about the other two or three guys we can't cover?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #6953 : April 18, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »

If the Buccaneers somehow don’t pull off a deal that has looked like a sure thing for a long time, they’re going to have a lot of explaining to do to a fan base that doesn’t want to hear anything but that Revis is coming to Tampa Bay.

They dont have to explain anything to me if they dont trade for him. Keeping the picks and money is ok with me.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #6954 : April 18, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »

''Anything less than Revis in pewter is going to cause problems in Tampa Bay. There already is a large segment of the fan base that thinks the Glazer family, which owns the team, doesn’t spend enough money. Presumably, that thinking has played a role in the Buccaneers having trouble selling out Raymond James Stadium in recent years."

The Glazers are awful NFL owners. They "kerry Rhodes" the crap out of their fanbase, but they want them to come to games?

Anyone remember the "frugal" discussion?

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

« #6955 : April 18, 2013, 11:46:02 AM »

chillwill is providing us with fake tweets to scare some one who doesn't know that the fake tweets have been going on for a while. It gets somebody every time.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

mrchillwill

Pro Bowler

« #6956 : April 18, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »

chillwill is providing us with fake tweets to scare some one who doesn't know that the fake tweets have been going on for a while. It gets somebody every time.
it not fak i hav me sources, them tweets prove i me source is correct, BIM!!!!

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #6957 : April 18, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »

I do think it would be awesome if a player's response to being traded or rumors about being traded with, "BROWNS?"

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #6958 : April 18, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »

I believe it.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #6959 : April 18, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »

We're already better than we were at the end of last year. We upgrade Goldson and resigned Wright. People hate Wright but he is would have been starting last year minus the Aderall thing and the fact we may have cut him and didn't want to get him hurt.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
  Page: 1 ... 462 463 464 465 466 ... 612
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools