Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 471 472 473 474 475 ... 612

YReceiver14

Starter

« #7080 : April 20, 2013, 08:24:10 AM »

That article is ridiculous.  Does Pat think the fanbase is idiotic?

They'll lose credibility if they overpay, not if they walk away from a bad deal.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #7081 : April 20, 2013, 08:31:15 AM »

Problem with that theory is the Bucs already leaked to the public that they are shopping him.
And the proof of that is what?
You really don't think there's a chance that's just pure media invention so they have something to write about, you only have to look at the Revis trade to see how they no longer report news but instead create stories based on their own feelings.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #7082 : April 20, 2013, 08:32:28 AM »

They'll lose credibility if they overpay, not if they walk away from a bad deal.

I'm guessing you missed the point...going all in one player during a FA where you could've improved in multiple ways is kinda the issue here. The prolonged dance with the Jets does nothing but make the situation seem more desperate.....do you honestly believe a GM wants to go into a critical season having NOT addressed the CB position after such terrible showing in 2012? That would be the equivalent of career suicide....even an idiot could see that. hehe

HolyBuc

Starter
« #7083 : April 20, 2013, 08:39:32 AM »

Pat's article is a joke.  I want to know what the Jets options are if they don't trade him before this draft.  Everyone talks about the JETs getting a third round compensation pick if they let Revis walk (can't guarantee that pick ask the Chargers about losing V-Jax).  Why isn't any of these "writers" talk about the 9M cap hit the JETS take if they let Revis walk in 2014. 

The JETS have to deal him before this draft or decide to resign him.  You can't let your best player walk for a comp pick and a 9m cap hit.  They already said any trade has to have the this years 1st round pick not next years. 

I really don't understand why they don't resign him it's not like they will be spending that money on a franchise QB anytime soon.   

DailyRich68

Starter
« #7084 : April 20, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »

I'm guessing you missed the point...going all in one player during a FA where you could've improved in multiple ways is kinda the issue here. The prolonged dance with the Jets does nothing but make the situation seem more desperate.....do you honestly believe a GM wants to go into a critical season having NOT addressed the CB position after such terrible showing in 2012? That would be the equivalent of career suicide....even an idiot could see that. hehe

They can not trade for Revis and still address the CB position in the draft.  Is it unreasonable to think that the Bucs thought none of the FA corners were worth what they'd have to spend?  That Revis was worth the cost, and if not, better to get rookies than overpay for veterans they're not all that crazy about anyway?

HolyBuc

Starter
« #7085 : April 20, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »

There's no denying the Bucs need to fix the CB position, there will be a few veterans after the draft and maybe more teams still need clear money to sign their draft picks.  There is only one party in this situation that holds all the cards and that is REVIS.  He doesn't have to sign with any team that makes a deal with the JETS and he doesn't have to resign with JETS.  If Revis wants to be a FA next year all he has to do is say no for 10 months.  So you tell me who is screwed in this deal.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
« #7086 : April 20, 2013, 09:35:20 AM »

Morten just said on espn radio that he thinks a Revis deal gets done at 13 and that bucs fans might have to wait until they are on the clock to execute the trade... Boo!!!!

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #7087 : April 20, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »

Why would they wait till pick 13 to announce the trade? Doesn't make sense. If the trade is going to be done on draft day, it will be done before the draft starts.

YReceiver14

Starter

« #7088 : April 20, 2013, 10:09:05 AM »

Pat's entire article is based on the "perception" of the trade.  As in our perception of it.

Quite simply, the Buccaneers have set themselves up for (perceived) failure if they don’t trade for Revis.

He points out that making a fair deal is in the best interest of the team.

I get it that Dominik is playing the waiting game because he doesn’t want to give up too much of his team’s present or future as compensation. That’s smart and the prudent thing to do.

And yet, because of star power and roster "sizzle"...

That’s why the Buccaneers need to go ahead and make the Revis trade. If they don’t, they’re going to look really bad to their fans, who have been waiting for this deal for weeks.
If the Buccaneers somehow don’t pull off a deal that has looked like a sure thing for a long time, they’re going to have a lot of explaining to do to a fan base that doesn’t want to hear anything but that Revis is coming to Tampa Bay.

This is ridiculous, and a waste of writing space.

1) Don't the Jets also need to worry about fan "perception" when Revis walks for nothing but a possible compensatory pick?
2) Dominik doesn't care about perception, he cares about wins.  Screwing the Bucs future for short term success will just delay the axe.
3) Which would us "stupid" Bucs fans be more upset about:

"Hey, we left the trading table.  Revis is great, but they wanted way too much, and that would have compromised our talent level for years."

OR

"Hey, we got Revis!  We did have to trade 2 firsts, a second, and a third round pick to get it done, but... we knew you just HAD to have this trade happen, or we would have lost precious credibility in your eyes.  You understand, right?"

...and I apologize in advance for the flippant tone.  Not a good morning...

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
« #7089 : April 20, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »

Why would they wait till pick 13 to announce the trade? Doesn't make sense. If the trade is going to be done on draft day, it will be done before the draft starts.

I just think that the Buccaneers would be crazy to do this on draft day. You don't have time to negotiate with Revis' agents (assuming they haven't already tampered), you can't let your docs look at him and the pick will already be gone. No, that's just crazy. This has to happen before the draft or it's not going to happen. I think if we go into draft day and Revis is still a Jet - he'll remain one.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #7090 : April 20, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »

The only way I can see a draft day trade working out... is if the jets agree to draft a player that would be agreeable to both teams in case the trade gets voided. Bucs get the darfted player if Revis fails the physical.

My logo is bigger than your logo

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
« #7091 : April 20, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »

The only way I can see a draft day trade working out... is if the jets agree to draft a player that would be agreeable to both teams in case the trade gets voided. Bucs get the darfted player if Revis fails the physical.

Agreed...but that would be stupid for both teams. What if the Jets don't want the same guy the Bucs want? They'd be forced to take him just in case Revis can't be cleared by the Tampa docs? Then what's the point of the trade? On the Bucs side - you make the trade but there's no guarantee the Jets will pick who you want them to pick.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #7092 : April 20, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »

Yeah... that we are in the realm of stupid is a given since early March.  But hypothetically, say the agreed player was Xavier Rhodes.  Jets need Revis' replacement and Rhodes meets a need for the Bucs.  The deal is on if Rhodes is there at #13.  Otherwise, go ahead and pick someone else.
« : April 20, 2013, 10:31:10 AM CalicoJack55 »

My logo is bigger than your logo

Jeremy Lin

Rookie

« #7093 : April 20, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »

Anything is possible nobody knows whats going on behind the scenes.

It could be Media driven and we are really not going after Revis.

Or we could have something up our sleeves nobody truly knows till probably 9pm THURSDAY NIGHT.

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #7094 : April 20, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »

Well I can see why. It could come down to whether there is anyone at #13 that the Jets like, so they might have the option to take the 2014 pick deal instead of the 2013 pick. In this case, the deal is done and it's going to be one of two scenarios depending on who's available. This does however make it harder for the Bucs to deal the pick and trade down IF there isn't anyone that they like there as well. But I could see this as a option.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality
  Page: 1 ... 471 472 473 474 475 ... 612
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools