Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sharrif Floyd @13 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 10, 2013, 11:22:11 PM

Would his name even come up if he weren't a Gator?...
Nope

I disagree.  Floyd has been a highly touted player since high school, and played at a very high collegiate level.

That said, he doesn't make any sense for the Bucs @ 13, as he won't be the BPA there.  Round 2 would be a different story.

I was more referring to him as a player worthy of the #13, rather than him as a prospect in general.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

swamp_bats

Starter
#16 : February 10, 2013, 11:37:02 PM

Floyd is a stud but I don't think he fits next to McCoy, just isn't big enough for the NT spot. I love the guy and HATE the Cowboys but I kinda hope they grab him in Dallas just to see Monte and Marenelli put him in the Sapp role and watch him blow up. That would be his best fit in the NFL.

aquilus

Pro Bowler

#17 : February 11, 2013, 10:24:28 AM

This seems to be the copy and paste answer for every Gator Hater out there

as a GATOR fan myself I have expressed admiration for Werner and Tank and think they would be great fits here...but it seems the same cannot be said for the people in regards to Gator players

every time a Gator is mentioned the Gator Homer card is brought out

Is there a little Bias from some here....maybe

However I dont think anymore BIAS than a FSU/USF/OSU/ND/MICHIGAN/USC fan

There have been many players many people discarded on this board because Gator fans mentioned their names "Aaron Hernandez, Pounceys, Harvin, Spikes" that have been good players

now with that Said

Floyd is a dominant tackle...hes kinda flashy on and off hot and cold...he wasnt the best player on that Florida line...I think Dominique Easley is a better all around player from that line...he might not have had the #'s and hes more of a head case than Floyd but Easley is by far the most talented lineman the Gators have
: February 11, 2013, 10:33:06 AM rgator13

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 11, 2013, 11:19:41 AM

as a GATOR fan myself I have expressed admiration for Werner and Tank and think they would be great fits here...but it seems the same cannot be said for the people in regards to Gator players

There have been many players many people discarded on this board because Gator fans mentioned their names "Aaron Hernandez, Pounceys, Harvin, Spikes" that have been good players

now with that Said

Floyd is a dominant tackle...hes kinda flashy on and off hot and cold...he wasnt the best player on that Florida line...I think Dominique Easley is a better all around player from that line...he might not have had the #'s and hes more of a head case than Floyd but Easley is by far the most talented lineman the Gators have

I'm not even a Floridian, and I have no loyalties to either FSU or UF. So don't try and lump me in with the haters. Is he one of the top 3-5 DTs in this draft? Sure. Is he worthy of us using the #13? I personally would say no.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

TSKAD72

Starter
#19 : February 11, 2013, 11:33:48 AM

Whether he's worthy of the 13th pick overall is debatable, but not a ridiculous notion at all and definitely has nothing to do with the fact that he is a Gator. He has the best first step of any DT in this draft. Hell, I've seen mocks that have him going as high as #3 overall. Not that it means jack squat when it comes down to it, but I sincerely believe Floyd will be picked in the top 20. The DT talent at the top of this draft is ridiculous.

I personally wouldn't want to take him at 13, but if he's the best player on Dom's board when the Bucs are on the clock I'll be all for it. He seems like more of a 3 technique, which we already have with Gerald, but that certainly doesn't mean he can't slide over and play the 1 technique. If the Bucs do end up taking a DT in the first I'd like it to be Star Lotulelei (one word to describe that guy: monster), but I could get behind Floyd at 13.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 11, 2013, 11:42:20 AM

i would love to have floyd, but im not sure he's worth #13.  as zeke mentioned, his versatility is what would make him a great pick.  he can hold the point of attact at NT.  he could backup mccoy in a pinch.  and he could play a big DE.  the one thing i wonder about is while he does everything good, does he do anything great?  tskad says he has the best first step of any DT?  i wasnt aware of that, but it doesnt hurt to be mentioned.  he's also a guy that will probably look real good at the combine.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

TSKAD72

Starter
#21 : February 11, 2013, 12:08:44 PM

i would love to have floyd, but im not sure he's worth #13.  as zeke mentioned, his versatility is what would make him a great pick.  he can hold the point of attact at NT.  he could backup mccoy in a pinch.  and he could play a big DE.  the one thing i wonder about is while he does everything good, does he do anything great?  tskad says he has the best first step of any DT?  i wasnt aware of that, but it doesnt hurt to be mentioned.  he's also a guy that will probably look real good at the combine.

Not to take anything away from Sheldon Richardson, who most likely will have the fastest 40 time out of all DTs at the combine (the guy returned kickoffs and punts in high school...he's a freak), but Floyd's get off out of his snap is incredible. Maintains low pad level and is noticeably quicker off the ball than the players he lines up next to. If Floyd was the pick it would almost be like having two 3 techniques (kind of like in Detroit with Suh and Fairley), but they would be the quickest 1-2 combo in the league off the snap. That would be fun to watch, but I'm not sure we wouldn't be better served maybe waiting til the 2nd round if Miller's not resigned and taking a guy like Jesse Williams, a true 1-tech who definitely has the strength to take on double teams. He could play on rush downs (1st down and 2nd/3rd and short) and on passing downs they could put a Clayborn-McCoy-Bowers-Bennett line (assuming he's resigned).

I think he'll look real good at the combine too. I'm interested to see his bench press total. Obviously more to strength and holding the point of attack in the A gap than a bench press numbers, but it'll be an interesting gauge.

He will be versatile enough to play the 1 or the 3 but I can't see him kicking out to DE in this 4-3 defense. If Schiano wanted to incorporate some 3-4 then he could definitely kick outside, but that's the only way I could see him lining up there. You don't see too many 6-3, 305 lb. DE's lining up in the 4-3. 

Of course, I could be way off base and totally wrong. We could lose Bennett, Floyd could be gone by 13, Williams could be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd. Just wishful thinking!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 11, 2013, 01:50:48 PM

Nope

I disagree.  Floyd has been a highly touted player since high school, and played at a very high collegiate level.

That said, he doesn't make any sense for the Bucs @ 13, as he won't be the BPA there.  Round 2 would be a different story.

I was more referring to him as a player worthy of the #13, rather than him as a prospect in general.

If Tampa didn't have a Pro-Bowl DT already, he'd be well worth the pick.  But picking any DT in the top half of the first round would be just as bad as using a top ten pick on a Safety.

Floyd is a really, really good player.  Doesn't really have much to do with him playing in Gainesville.

aquilus

Pro Bowler

#23 : February 11, 2013, 02:30:00 PM

now with that Said

I'm not even a Floridian, and I have no loyalties to either FSU or UF. So don't try and lump me in with the haters. Is he one of the top 3-5 DTs in this draft? Sure. Is he worthy of us using the #13? I personally would say no.

Those were not all Florida teams I mentioned....

and as a point of  reference the quote wasnt directed at you personally...just as an example that some people are BLIND AS BATS to the fact that there are some good players that come from Gainesville as well

and its not all a hype fest because our favorite shirts have orange and blue

aquilus

Pro Bowler

#24 : February 11, 2013, 02:32:22 PM

it seems like every time ANY Gator is mentioned we always have a snide comment about  homerisim

when all in all I see as mch homerisim on this board for a lot of other teams than I do from Florida

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#25 : February 11, 2013, 03:03:01 PM

it seems like every time ANY Gator is mentioned we always have a snide comment about  homerisim

when all in all I see as mch homerisim on this board for a lot of other teams than I do from Florida

i get the same thing if i bring up an FSU player even if they fit a specific need for this team

Picking floyd at 13 would be a bad pick but hes good value in the 20s. i dont believe sheldon richardson is a good pick before 20 either. the only DT i like in the top 15 is lotulelei

Rebel

Rookie

#26 : February 11, 2013, 04:58:21 PM

Some of you guys are criminally underrating Floyd. 2nd round pick? Are you kidding me. This guy will easily be a first round pick. He will blow up the combine(for his size and weight). That being said. He doesn't fit our team need. Elite run stuffer. Needs to work on his pass rushing skills. He will be a beast in a 3-4 DE position.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 11, 2013, 05:03:15 PM

Some of you guys are criminally underrating Floyd. 2nd round pick? Are you kidding me. This guy will easily be a first round pick. He will blow up the combine(for his size and weight). That being said. He doesn't fit our team need. Elite run stuffer. Needs to work on his pass rushing skills. He will be a beast in a 3-4 DE position.

Agreed.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

zeke23

Rookie

#28 : February 15, 2013, 11:46:20 PM

Hmmm...Mike Mayock, whom I happen to think is the best "draft guru" out there has Floyd as his #1 DT in this draft class.

spurzo

Second String

#29 : February 16, 2013, 01:14:51 AM

Mayock loved Mark Sanchez... nuff said
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sharrif Floyd @13 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools