Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New York Giants' rumors: Martellus Bennett to Tampa Bay Buccaneers? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 11, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »

New York Giants' rumors: Martellus Bennett to Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

By Ed Valentine on Feb 10, 10:34

Martellus Bennett - Elsa

Martellus and Michael Bennett are both unrestricted free agents. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where Michael Bennett spent the last four seasons, could be in a position to re-unite the brothers.

Could brothers Martellus Bennett and Michael Bennett join forces for the 2013 NFL season? If they do, that could be bad news for the New York Giants. Both players are unrestricted free agents, and Tampa Tribune Bucs reporter Roy Cummings recently opined that he expects the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where Michael Bennett spent the last four seasons, to push to bring the brothers together in a package deal.

Martellus Bennett, 26, caught 55 passes for the Giants last season, second on the team behind Victor Cruz and the most in his five-year career, after joining the team as a free agent from the Dallas Cowboys. He is an unrestricted free agent once again, having signed only a one-year contract with the Giants.

Bennett often expressed how much he enjoyed being a Giant during the 2012 season, and recently tweeted "I plan on retiring here" when asked about the Giants. Most reports indicate the Giants would like to retain the 6-foot-6, 275-pound tight end.

Michael Bennett [Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports]

Michael Bennett, 27, is a four-year veteran defensive end who is also coming off the best season of his career. He had nine sacks, three forced fumbles and 41 tackles -- all career highs -- for the Buccaneers in 2012.

With Osi Umenyiora heading to free agency, Justin Tuck being a question mark and the Giants' pass rush not having been up to par last season could the Giants be interested in a Bennett and Bennett pairing of their own? Adding a relatively young pass-rushing defensive end certainly does not seem like a bad idea.

For the Giants, if they are interested in either or both of the Bennetts, the salary cap is a major impediment. The Giants are currently approximately $2 million under the cap and still need to make room to sign Victor Cruz and try to work out deals with Hakeem Nicks, Will Beatty, Kevin Boothe and other free agents of their own.

The Buccaneers are among the teams in the best salary-cap situations. Reports show that the Bucs are currently about $30 million under the cap, putting them in a position to outbid the Giants if they choose. Martellus Bennett might make sense for Tampa Bay, which had 33-year-old Dallas Clark at tight end a season ago.

The cap situation can and will change between now and when free agency begins, but for now this is an illustration of the difficulties the Giants face as they head into the free-agent market.

Comments

I feel like Tampa Bay has been trying to troll us since Schiano got there
Trying and failing mind you, but still trying. I wouldnt be surprised if they were the ones who signed KP or Boothe away from us.

They are always well under the cap, they try to do it on the cheap!
 I am very familiar with that ownership, the Glassers, since I lived down there
for four years ago…They also have in a soccer tam overseas, but I forget which one?
 The Sux have recently delved into that as well!

Guy is a complete db and shouldn’t be allowed to own an NFL team. He obviously is running it only to make money. It sad to see teams operate like that, feel bad for their fans. Sadly fans thought bring in VJax and Carl Nicks was a sign they would be more competitive. It’s not they had to spend money to get to the floor. I feel bad for them.

Aw crap.

noooo just come to giants michael!
on another note.. these two must be twins lol

What will we call the new one MB2?

Tampa has cap room but no money
Small market, can’t sell out games, cheap owner. They will stay at the cap minimum.
They have Luke Stocker developing.

From what I've read Tampa is a very real possibility for Bennett
And they have the means to pony [unicorn] up to sign him. I guess we’ll see where Bennett’s values lie.

I got to believe Bennett is going to get a serious offer from them
J Reese will only go so high for his services and with the Cap situation I don’t know how we could sign his brother. Still hopefull but realistically we might loose TBU

We cant pay as much as Tampa
It will come down to how much TBU wants to stay in New York.

Ugh
Again,a team under the cap by 25-30 million.If we made the playoffs every year and were over the cap,but what the hell,we MISSED the playoffs 3 of the last four years and we are ALWAYS OVER the god damn cap.Who is in charge of the cap,Bernie Madoff??Geez.

how would you feel if we had the same record this year
and were 20-30 million dollars under the cap. I would be pissed if my owner was pocketing extra money by being under the cap that much, and didn’t care year to year if we were any good. When there was no cap, we saw exactly who these owners were. Bucs are a secondary concern to Glasier. He is more concerned about manchester united. Fans here in tampa area hate the glasiers. This is why people don’t go to games and they can’t sell out. The fans see no reason to be committed to the team, when the owner lets them down on a consistent basis.

The Bucs were in cap hell for a while but they released everything they had
also they’re not paying a top QB any money. They’ve won nothing and haven’t had to retain anyone. No CBs like Webster. If they pay Bennett, then Josh Freeman needs a new deal, and also Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks’ deals really set in, they won’t nearly have that cap room.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/2/10/3973020/new-york-giants-rumors-martellus-bennett-tampa-bay-buccaneers-michale-bennett-nfl

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 11, 2013, 12:52:33 AM »

Small market, can’t sell out games, cheap owner. They will stay at the cap minimum.

LOL

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 11, 2013, 01:54:28 AM »

I like Stocker, he really came through at the end of the season. I want us to give the guy one more year to developer under Schiano's scheme...

Now, only if Freeman could stop under/overthrowing everyone...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #3 : February 11, 2013, 07:48:19 AM »

Comments were the best part. I don't usually laugh this early in the morning.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #4 : February 11, 2013, 07:52:53 AM »

Wow.......they have an "elite" QB according to some on this board, and at least a middle of the road defense, and they missed the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. IIRC they were 9-7 in the 2011 regular season. Their defense smothered Brady. The Giants are in decline IMO. The Bucs are on the rise. A pair of Bennetts would be great for our offense and our D. Eli has peaked and Josh will only get better, even the haters have to admit that since they claim he is so bad........all he can do is improve.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #5 : February 11, 2013, 08:50:08 AM »

LOL

That one made me laugh too

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 11, 2013, 08:27:04 PM »

Wow.......they have an "elite" QB according to some on this board, and at least a middle of the road defense, and they missed the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. IIRC they were 9-7 in the 2011 regular season. Their defense smothered Brady. The Giants are in decline IMO. The Bucs are on the rise. A pair of Bennetts would be great for our offense and our D. Eli has peaked and Josh will only get better, even the haters have to admit that since they claim he is so bad........all he can do is improve.

Agree, Eli is 32 already, doesn't seem like he has been around that long.  I would have to think their window is closing.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 14, 2013, 05:45:17 PM »

Come to Tampa!

Rotoworld
Free agent Martellus Bennett tweeted Thursday that he would like to play with his brother Michael, a free agent defensive end.
Martellus said his first priority is the Giants. If the G-Men don't want him back, Bennett says he'd "most likely" follow his brother. The Bucs are tentatively expected to re-sign Michael. With Dallas Clark's contract up, Tampa Bay could also use tight end help. We still suspect Martellus will stay in New York.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #8 : February 15, 2013, 02:01:39 PM »

The hilarious thing is, Giants fans are the smarter of the two teams that play in the Meadowlands. Just imagine if we were about to pilfer a Jets player lol

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 15, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »

"I feel like Tampa Bay has been trying to troll us since Schiano got there"

Bwahahahaha ! I laughed out loud at this...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 16, 2013, 04:00:48 AM »

They are still pissed we jumped up to get Doug Martin. The Giants wanted him bad.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

« #11 : February 16, 2013, 08:07:01 AM »

Me, too.

Hey Coach Schiano (3sk), I think the NYG forum is requesting a cameo from you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #12 : February 16, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »

Between stealing Doug, kneel down gate, and now likely stealing Bennett.... I don't think giants fans like Schiano very much.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #13 : February 16, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »

We should troll them a little further and sign Ahmad Bradshaw to be dougie's backup. I don't really want him but it would be funny.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

« #14 : February 16, 2013, 09:36:04 AM »

Have to give the NYG forum credit, though. They embraced our trolling as well as the Cowboys board. The Redskins fans.......what a bunch of overly-sensitive pansies.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New York Giants' rumors: Martellus Bennett to Tampa Bay Buccaneers? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools