Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Bucs may not have much choice but to give him [Wright] a second chance." « previous next »
Page: 1 2

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 12, 2013, 08:43:58 AM

...do what??

Not much better than Wright?

Roy Cummings has lost his damn mind.

Right??

Were people not watching last year? The guy was terrible. F**king Dom and his dumb ass FA moves.

Dom freaking nailed it on 2 of 3 FA this off season and this is the comment you make? I do agree, there is a dumb ass involved, I don't believe it to be Dom.

Big picture. Dude has been horrid in FA signings since he took over as GM. Yes, we went out and signed a proven all-pro G and a very good WR...but that still doesn't excuse giving average-below average players huge contracts.

Dom is very good on draft day at making moves, but the majority of the evidence shows that he is "poor" when it comes to FA. I guess your memory is selective, though.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 12, 2013, 08:45:55 AM

i dont know how these writers stay employed.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 12, 2013, 09:00:56 AM

...do what??

Right??

Were people not watching last year? The guy was terrible. F**king Dom and his dumb ass FA moves.

Dom freaking nailed it on 2 of 3 FA this off season and this is the comment you make? I do agree, there is a dumb ass involved, I don't believe it to be Dom.

Big picture. Dude has been horrid in FA signings since he took over as GM. Yes, we went out and signed a proven all-pro G and a very good WR...but that still doesn't excuse giving average-below average players huge contracts.

Dom is very good on draft day at making moves, but the majority of the evidence shows that he is "poor" when it comes to FA. I guess your memory is selective, though.

It's not. I see Dom being about equal with all other FA signings that don't work out. I can think of several CB in Philly that stuck the place up, as well in Atlanta. You overpay for CBs because there usually are so few decent ones that hit the market.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

big_JLB

Starter

#18 : February 12, 2013, 10:15:42 AM

Tracy Porter and Aaron Ross could have both been had for the price of Wright and both would have been better options.

tracy porter only played in 6 games for denver and ross stunk the joint up in jacksonville. i'm not trying to defend wright ('cause i want him gone as well) but outside of finnegan the CB market was thin last year

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 12, 2013, 10:29:28 AM

I will say it again.. no reason to give any FA corner unneeded leverage.

I always puzzle at "smart" answers like this that assume every other person is an idiot. You think any agent for any FA does know that our pass defense sucked and that Wright is a colossal clusterF of a human and player? I mean you, me and every other person on this board know Wright is trash I suspect we're not alone in this revelation.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 12, 2013, 11:23:40 AM

...do what??

Right??

It's not. I see Dom being about equal with all other FA signings that don't work out. I can think of several CB in Philly that stuck the place up, as well in Atlanta. You overpay for CBs because there usually are so few decent ones that hit the market.

Overall, Dom has a high fail rate in FA. Yes, last years FA CB class was weak...that doesn't mean you pay top $ for average. I personally believe that there were better options than Wright.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 12, 2013, 11:37:29 AM

Tracy Porter and Aaron Ross could have both been had for the price of Wright and both would have been better options.

tracy porter only played in 6 games for denver and ross stunk the joint up in jacksonville. i'm not trying to defend wright ('cause i want him gone as well) but outside of finnegan the CB market was thin last year

So Tracy Porter would have suffered the exact same injuries if he had come to Tampa?

Ross was average last year, and certainly was no worse than Wright. Carr would have been a strong option, but he had his mind made up about Dallas.

Heck, even a guy like William Gay would have been a better option.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 12, 2013, 11:37:34 AM

Wright not cut?

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 12, 2013, 12:05:49 PM

So Tracy Porter would have suffered the exact same injuries if he had come to Tampa?

Ross was average last year, and certainly was no worse than Wright. Carr would have been a strong option, but he had his mind made up about Dallas.

Ross was terrible, and he's long been terrible. He's also old and has never stayed healthy. 

I agree that Porter probably doesn't get the same exact injuries in Tampa, but the guy has never been healthy either - he's never made it through a complete season healthy. Not once.  Not to mention, he doesn't exactly scream scheme fit, nor did he play well last year (I don't have the full PFF rankings, but in terms of FAs for 2013, he was in negative territory down there with Talib. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-cornerbacks/).

I hated the contract for Wright, and wasn't really in love with the player. But don't pretend we'd be praising Dom for bringing in Ross and Porter. The only credit I give Dom on this is that he was astute enough to protect the team with the structure of the contract.

Also, while we can blame Dom for bringing him in, if he sticks around it's probably because Schiano wants him around.

big_JLB

Starter

#24 : February 12, 2013, 12:11:29 PM

porter suffered a seizure so i would think that would have happened regardless of location. ross played like a nickel while getting paid starter money. carr was going nowhere but dallas as you already mentioned

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 12, 2013, 12:23:19 PM

That's right - I forgot it was a seizure.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#26 : February 12, 2013, 12:35:38 PM

Also, while we can blame Dom for bringing him in, if he sticks around it's probably because Schiano wants him around.

Good point.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 12, 2013, 12:40:02 PM

Just cut him and use that money on somebody better. Its not a question of giving him another chance, its about making the team better.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#28 : February 12, 2013, 09:53:34 PM

I can't see a scenario where Wright is back.  Makes too much jack, under performed in 2012.  About the only reason , would be there are no better options, and that doesn't hold water.  Plenty of free agent options and draft prospects.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Bucs may not have much choice but to give him [Wright] a second chance." « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools