Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL considering widening field by 35 feet « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: February 11, 2013, 04:12:31 PM

The NFL reportedly might consider widening the playing field to Canadian Football League standards, a drastic idea that would be one of the bigger rules changes the game has seen in a long time if it comes to pass.

The National Football Post reported that the league has talked about widening the field sideline-to-sideline from 160 feet to 195 feet, which is the CFL standard, and the league might look into the idea again this offseason.

The National Football Post said the competition committee discussed the idea a year ago. In theory, a wider field would be safer for a league that has much bigger and faster players than it did decades ago.

Im not so sure we shouldnt think about widening the field, former competition committee member Bill Polian told the National Football Post. Its a radical idea, but I think its worth thinking about. You would have more space and perhaps a safer game. I say that based on my CFL experience. There are less collisions of that type in the Canadian game.

The idea of a wider field is radical, and although the league needs to improve player safety, it seems like changing the dimensions of the field would take a lot of convincing to a league that doesn't make major modifications very often.

The National Football Post story made the counter-argument that the wider field might not necessarily help player safety, because players would have more room to build up speed and have bigger collisions.

There would be many logistical issues. Many stadiums were built with the 160-foot wide field in mind, with every foot of possible room used for seats that generate revenue. Widening the field by more than 10 yards might make the playing area inside the stands a bit snug. Also, for teams that use the fields for college or high school state playoff games, converting between the two would be a difficult task. Also, there's the fact that it's hard to imagine the NFL changing one of the basic foundations of the game after so many years with the same size field. The last change this drastic might be when the league moved the goal posts from the goal line to the back of the end zone in 1974.

Changing the width of the field would be a major change to the game, and while it doesn't logically seem very likely to happen soon, the NFL needs to look at every possibility to quell the negative publicity over player safety issues.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-considered-widening-playing-field-35-feet-may-190404198--nfl.html

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 11, 2013, 04:19:53 PM

Tough logistics definitely. It could also lead to a lot more scoring.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 11, 2013, 04:27:27 PM

Bigger field, 18 game season, flag football. Lets change the game as much as possible just to change it.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 11, 2013, 04:35:34 PM

Bigger field, 18 game season, flag football. Lets change the game as much as possible just to change it.

We already wussified football with making the forward pass commonplace in the 1900's

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 11, 2013, 04:38:41 PM

WTF...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 11, 2013, 04:40:13 PM

Goodell is making the game his own. Really dislike that.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 11, 2013, 05:15:34 PM

The NFL is becoming so unfair to defensive players.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 11, 2013, 05:25:01 PM

Especially Bucs corner backs

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 11, 2013, 05:42:15 PM

Agree 100%. I do not know about anyone else but I enjoy watching a great defense as much as a great offense. The NFL just wants to have offenses score more points to help boost ratings.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 11, 2013, 05:51:43 PM

Ain't happnin.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 11, 2013, 05:52:40 PM

Agree 100%. I do not know about anyone else but I enjoy watching a great defense as much as a great offense. The NFL just wants to have offenses score more points to help boost ratings.

If they do this say good bye to blitzing. You crowd the line and QBs will just throw the ball 30 yards to the outside and that's a guaranteed big play.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 11, 2013, 06:05:03 PM

I am at a total loss as to how a wider field = safer game. Sounds pretty **CENSORED**ing stupid to me.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 11, 2013, 06:07:08 PM

I am at a total loss as to how a wider field = safer game. Sounds pretty **CENSORED**ing stupid to me.

In Goodell's mind... Less tackles.

tog

Pro Bowler
#13 : February 11, 2013, 06:24:05 PM

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE BEEN ARGUING FOR THIS FOR YEARS!!!!

As you can tell, I am an avid proponent of this (what gave it away right?).  I'm a huge CFL football fan, and I can list a ton of advantages to a wider field.  And let me be clear as well, my love is defense, I think way too many flags are thrown, and I do agree the NFL is going overboard with head hits (not in intent, but in implementation).  Just so you know where I'm coming from

1) Safer.  There's a more space and you'll reduce the impact and number of collisions, as well as how many tacklers are in every play.  This is because players will operate in more space.  Trust me, having played on CFL fields my entire life, making tackles in space is really difficult.  It's really difficult to tee off on guys in that space.  Plus, the offense has more room to make moves.  Lastly, speed becomes more of an asset and you'll reduce the size of some players. 

2) Fewer flags. Pass interference in the NFL is a joke.  Watch a CFL game and you'll see how WRs and DBs are meant to play - with contact (handfighting, a little grabbing).  Pass interference calls are flagrant in the CFL, such as wrapping around a guy or blatantly holding on  (not the "tugging" you get flagged for in the NFL).  It's different because the NFL has mandated more explosive offences.  To accomplish that goal, they've tried to hind defences as much as possible with some ridiculous outcomes.  The bigger field lets you keep your flags in your pocket because you'll see more explosive output. More space= more offence.  If the NFL is smart, that means fewer flags on dumb defensive penalties.  Let them play.

3) Defenceless what?  While we all agree we want a safer game for players, the implementation has been flat out stupid.  Many media members who never played football have completely failed to realise how impossible it is to instantly adjust your strike zone by an inch on a moving target.  It's also a joke, and I think few people would disagree.  Coupled with Point 1, you can get rid of (or minimize) a lot of these stupid rules/flags.

There are three issues.  First, if they go Canadian width - that's pretty wide considering that the CFL has 12 players. I would expect a wider field, but not CFL width.  Second, you'll have to look at logistics.  Third, you'll fight a lot of people who resist change arbitrarily.  Field width is not essential to NFL football.  Not to mention, the  real threat to good ol' football is the constant bevy of new, wussy rules - the Tom Brady rule, defenceless players, etc.

So in summation, I believe a wider field is an amazing idea and will (if done intelligently) HELP those of us who love defences. I believe it will allow the NFL to return to its roots while still being high octane and exciting.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 11, 2013, 06:30:08 PM

In theory it could mean guys get more room to run (faster)and thus bigger hits on each other but the more realisitc scenario is that it opens up a lot more space for WR's to work in on the field and thus be able to protect themselves for big hits. I really think you;d see an end to zones long before you see a wider field.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL considering widening field by 35 feet « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools