Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL considering widening field by 35 feet « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 12, 2013, 01:08:04 PM

I'm 50/50 on it.

tog

Hall of Famer
#31 : February 12, 2013, 03:27:47 PM

Hardshell Helmets are the problem . No doubt. They are used as a weapon more so than provide protection.  I garantee you wouldn't see many defenders flying through the air with reckless abandon using  thier head as a battering ram if they knew they didn't have a hardshell helmet on.

Look at Rugby and Australian Rules football. Lots of contact, few concussions .

I'm beginning to wonder if you understand basic physics.  Oh, and thanks for continually making my argument.

The major reason there are less concussions in rugby & australian rules football is because the game is far more lateral (the NFL would become more lateral with a wider field).  Not to mention that the defence is a lot more flat footed in rugby, and because of the strategy of the game, are unable to come downhill as aggressively as in football.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 12, 2013, 03:29:09 PM

IF they get rid of all the ticky-tack and ambiguous rules making a receiver untouchable, I'd be all for it. Just let defenders tussle with'em and if a thrown ball touches the ground, INCOMPLETE  ;D

The further a bigger guy has to run laterally, the less energy he's gonna have left at the point of impact. AND the fewer times he'll be able to do it. Given that, I'd expect to see more wide runs by quicker RBs able to maintain their burst longer than pursuing LBs or D-linemen. Running lanes are thus gonna be easier to find for RBs wanting to cut upfield.

What would hurt defenses more, IMO, is if they made the end zones 20 yards deep like in the CFL. As good as NFL WRs are, the defense would have little chance having to defend another 10 yards of depth once the offense get close to the EZ.

Oh, and besides 12 players, the CFL also allows more than 1 man in motion but has only 3 downs to get a 1st, hence the emphasis on passing.

Given the superior speed and strength of larger and larger players generation to generation, a bigger field in the NFL makes sense to me. I've wanted a bigger court and higher rims in the NBA for several years.

TBHthough, I doubt we see this happen in the NFL...

tog

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 12, 2013, 03:30:59 PM

I started watching football because I loved defense. I became a Buccaneers fan because I love defense. 25 years later I watch football for defense. I'm not supporting some random change that will do nothing for safety and hurt defense. It's a stupid idea. They need to quit changing **CENSORED** that isn't broken.

If they really want to make a huge change that will improve safety and cut down on head trauma, lose the helmets.

Hate to break it, but defences are already ruined with all the ticky tack penalties that are called.

This is why I see a wider field (not as wide as CFL width) as the SAVIOUR of defence.  If you can couple that with allowing more WR/DB contact and removing some of the stupid "defenceless" rules (which a wider field will make unnecessary) you very well might see the return of great defences.  Interestingly, you might see a high variance between great and horrible NFL defences as well. Worst case, I doubt it gets much worse.

The alternative Jdouble is that the defence gets more and more flagged, and made more and more difficult to play, every year.  That's been the trend for years and will continue.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 12, 2013, 03:51:33 PM

Savior of defense? Lol. So when there is a mistackle, instead of the next defender being 5 yards away....he'll be 15 or 20 yards away. Defenses would be sooo spread out that mobile QBs would eat the league alive. RBs would be breaking records right and left. That sounds great! Look like the freaking keystone cops out there hopelessly running around. You'd have to add a 12th man on defense just to make it even.
: February 12, 2013, 03:53:14 PM JDouble

tog

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 12, 2013, 05:29:40 PM

Savior of defense? Lol. So when there is a mistackle, instead of the next defender being 5 yards away....he'll be 15 or 20 yards away. Defenses would be sooo spread out that mobile QBs would eat the league alive. RBs would be breaking records right and left. That sounds great! Look like the freaking keystone cops out there hopelessly running around. You'd have to add a 12th man on defense just to make it even.

You'll see a REALLY STRONG emphasis on wrapping up.  Missed tackles will be more a punishment.  And of course, you're using hyperbole to exaggerate the distance between players.  Instead of 5 yards, you might be 7 or 8.   More YAC sure, but to repeat myself if you offset it with reduced defensive penalties (as NotDeadYet also mentions) you'll see a return of physical defenders.  My great frustration is ticky tack penalties, not offensive yardage.  Are you concerned about offensive yardage, or a defender being flagged for literally touching a WR?

And mobile QBs wouldn't eat the league alive, neither would RBs be breaking records left and right.  Much like people who say a wider field will lead to bigger hits because defenders will have more of a run up, you're ignoring the opposite reaction.  Defenders will get a little smaller and quicker, especially on the edge.  As for RBs, you can't both (a) increase the passing game and (b) increase the running game, ie. you'll see an advantage go to speed backs, but unless teams stop throwing the ball its not going to be an offensive onslaught.  Not to mention, records get broken all the time whenever there's a change - the league used to be a 16 game schedule, it might go to 18, and you're worried about records?

The CFL has had wider fields for decades and there isn't this offensive onslaught you imagine.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 12, 2013, 05:38:41 PM

Tog seems to want this a little too badly . Are you in the sod business ?? lol

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#37 : February 12, 2013, 06:14:41 PM

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 12, 2013, 06:44:08 PM

Haha....ok I had a really dumb moment. I thought they were saying expand the field by 35 YARDS! Lol! So...yeah.....35 feet wouldn't be that big of deal. That's about 6 yards wider on each side, rather than the 17 yards I was picturing. I guess you can imagine why I thought the idea was soooo dumb!  ???

I still feel like they need to quit trying to change things that are not broken though.
: February 12, 2013, 06:46:08 PM JDouble

youngone

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 12, 2013, 06:49:19 PM

Haha....ok I had a really dumb moment. I thought they were saying expand the field by 35 YARDS! Lol! So...yeah.....35 feet wouldn't be that big of deal. That's about 6 yards wider on each side, rather than the 17 yards I was picturing. I guess you can imagine why I thought the idea was soooo dumb!  ???

I still feel like they need to quit trying to change things that are not broken though.
**CENSORED**, I thought the same thing lol... I was thinking 35 yards.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : February 12, 2013, 07:03:00 PM

Glad I'm not the only one! Hahaha

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#41 : February 12, 2013, 07:08:29 PM

So the argument from Tog is that it's not much difference , but it's a huge difference ......got it..... I think .....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

tog

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 12, 2013, 07:12:21 PM

So the argument from Tog is that it's not much difference , but it's a huge difference ......got it..... I think .....

Exactly!
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL considering widening field by 35 feet « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools