Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How to fix economy easily « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: February 11, 2013, 05:14:23 PM

Dear Mr. President,

Please find
below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy.
Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies
that will squander the money on lavish parties and
unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the
"Patriotic Retirement
Plan":

There are about 40
million people over 50 in the work force.

Pay them
$1 million apiece severance for early retirement
with the following
stipulations:

1) They MUST
retire.

Forty million job openings -

Unemployment
fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new
AMERICAN Car.

Forty million cars ordered -

Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST
either buy a house or pay off their mortgage -
Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't
get any easier than
that!!

P.S. If more money is
needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes.

Mr. President, while
you're at it, make Congress retire on Social
Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!

If you think
this would work, please forward to everyone you know.

If not, please disregard.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 11, 2013, 07:19:38 PM

Old farts get a free 1 million dollars and I'm still locked into the Ponzi Scheme ???   What's in this for me  ?? LOL

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Bookert1905

Starter
#2 : February 12, 2013, 05:25:41 PM

So going another 40 trillion in debt would be the solution? Don't think so.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#3 : February 14, 2013, 04:20:00 PM

You're right, that money is better served liberating <INSERT OIL RICH ARAB COUNTRY WHOSE PEOPLE WERE BRED TO HATE AMERICANS>.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 14, 2013, 11:31:54 PM

I've got another one to add:

Pull our military out of the 175 countries its in....  unless every American can name at least 50 countries without using Google or any other technology. 

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#5 : February 15, 2013, 11:40:53 AM

NO WAY. Those countries are entitled to sucking our country dry.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 22, 2013, 12:37:45 PM

I wonder if American car companies new 40 million Americans had to buy new cars if they would raise their prices just a little bit.

How about the housing Market? Think prices may go up a little bit? How about the people with houses already.

Very stupid plan. There is not dumb idea that can fix this economy. It's very simple, stop spending more than we have, cut entitlements and let things filter out. Not a difficult idea, we struggle because of several reasons that aren't going to change anytime soon so just accept things for what they are and realize we all voted for this guy so we're stuck with him.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 27, 2013, 03:41:56 PM

How to fix the economy less easily- The John Galt version

1. Reduce the deficit. The ridiculous deficit and its incumbent threat of inflation/currency devaluation has many businesses scared and is causing them to hold off on spending and expansion.

a. cut Military spending by 25%. Remove overseas troops which are spending tax dollars in foreign economies (money flowing out of the country and it's tax base) and reduce expenditures for new weapons systems (why do we need 2443 new F-35 stealth jets at $237 million/plane when our current planes are better than any other in the world and better than any planned Russian or Chinese innovations?)

b. eliminate Dept. of Education, Energy, Labor. These are redundant agencies whose duties can be done by other agencies (Defense, Commerce, Interior, etc.) . Combine Interior and Agriculture into one.

c. repeal Obamacare- self explanatory.

d. enact "Zero-based" budgeting. Every dept must justify what it is to get this year based on need NOT on what was spent last yr.

e. reduce Federal payrolls by 20% by not replacing retiring, quitting non-essential personnel

2. Give any business that net increases its number of employees a 1 yr 50% reduction in FICA matching on all employees. This is the opposite of BHO's stimulus plan where employees got a 50% savings on FICA. An employee getting an extra $37.00 a week will just buy beer and cigs and maybe an extra DVD, An employer with 1000 workers, saving $37,000/week will hire more, expand business, invest in new equipment. etc.

3. eliminate the tax loophole on foreign production. GE doesn't pay taxes on earnings from its plants in other countries and it gets cheaper labor. Tax those earnings at a higher rate so that hiring Americans at US plants is once again fiscally logical.

4. reduce the onerous regulations and fees needed to start a small business or open a new location for businesses with under 50 employees

5. require all lenders/loan originators to hold those loans for a minimum of 3 yrs before they can sell them. This will help prevent a repeat of the last disaster.

6. Pass a Sunset Law, where all agencies and all regulations must be reviewed every 5 yrs and re-approved or they automatically expire. This includes all IRS codes.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 27, 2013, 05:07:49 PM

Not bad John Galt , but if you want to start with cutting the deficit ,  why no mention of cutting SSI Ponzi Scheme , Medicare , or  any other entitlements - the main thing that is drowning us in debt. ??

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 27, 2013, 05:30:35 PM

I would say "not bad" too JG?  I am all for cutting the deficit in any way possible

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Oracle

Starter

#10 : February 27, 2013, 07:47:48 PM

40 million is chump change as far as government spending.    This would be a great idea if not for the fact that many of those people would be irresponsible and would piss that money away fast then be broke and clamoring for more money from the government.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 28, 2013, 11:58:19 AM

Not bad John Galt , but if you want to start with cutting the deficit ,  why no mention of cutting SSI Ponzi Scheme , Medicare , or  any other entitlements - the main thing that is drowning us in debt. ??

SSI actually is running at a surplus. Yes it needs to be overhauled, but IMO that might be better accomplished after we get the economy back to mid-2000 growth levels Get unemployment back under 5% and you'll have a lot more FICA revenue to help with a restructure.

As far as Medicare/caid, repeal Obamacare and craft a plan that includes a complete restructure of that mess.

Oracle

Starter

#12 : March 01, 2013, 12:22:42 PM

that might be better accomplished after we get the economy back to mid-2000 growth levels

So all we need is another bogus housing boom?   Great.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 01, 2013, 08:15:56 PM

I enter this conversation with a feeling of dread, but then again.  No pain, no gain.

Some years ago a book came out by John Nesbit fortelling of a big problem with our economy if we did not NOW  ( at least 25-30 years ago ) so something about the huge mass of baby boomers as they begin to retire causing massive debt and stressing and straining all of our institutions.  Thank of a snake trying to eat an elephant.  The simple concept was that at each age plateau this BB generation would  cause massive shortages in major instutions and services beginning with building schools and firing teachers etc, then flooding the job market, then the housing market etc.  This march thru time created years of prosperity UN TIL they began to reture.  The simple math of fewer people workiing supporting a huge amount of people not working.  By supporting is meant paying into the SS system.

The current ills of SS have nothing to do with the benefits people are getting and everything to do with the lack of political will across every aspect of political and social government AND the people of the United States passing along this issue for generations to generation.  Now there are less people working, less people being born, and less jobs for those lesser amount of workers now alive and available.  All the above services and industries now have to shrink because of their smaller markets.  The efficiencies of new technology do not seem to have translated into lower costs as many had predicted.

If no other problem facing Americans had been tackled intelligently and together as a country 25 years or so ago we would not be speaking of this today and this country would continue to be a beacon to the rest of the planet.  But noooooooooo......what did we all think was going to happen?  Well, here it is. 

Now the talk is of seniors being entitled, poor people wanting help, disabled and mentally ill people with no  programs effectively and efficiently taking care of them in a way that an enlightened country with today's advances should be doing.....Government has too many regulations.  Yeah we all know that.  That is not the problem.  The problem too much regulation for one group is laissez faire for another group.  There is a cultural war of values in this country that allows no compromise, no workabouts and no wiggle room.  My vote is for starting over.   Yeah.  Redo the entire Constitution...

Elect/appoint a Constitutional Convention for the purpose of rewriting the Consstitution for the 21st century and as far as it can take us.  Each state shall elect/appoiint 100 people to work for 10 years on a New American WAy.  Have 25 alternates to all for death and disability.  Give them a salary.  They must hold open meetings ( total transparency ).  They must report annually their progress.  They must leave whatever political party they have adhered to and may not vote for these ten years.  First goal:  The Constitution and Bill of Rights.  Second Goal:  Rules of engagement for Congress.  ( Suggestions they they eliminate the special benefits they enjoy.  All members of Congress get the same social security, Medicare and Retirement benefits as the rest of Americans.  This would eliminate the ivory tower mentality.  They do not get retirement plans from the US.  They get a matching plan etc. The oath of office is based on what's best for ALL AMERICANS. )  Re-election has 3 months of campaigning.  A limited number of media ads.   A fixed budget for all compains at X dollars.  All compaigns will be audited.  No corporate or union or organizational contsributions or ads.
Third Goal:  Clarify rules for the Judiciail Branch.  Legalize marijuana and tax it like liquor.  Do not allow for profit prisons.  Create laws that make sense to those others than lawyers....Make ethics mis deeds as punishable as out and out crimes...Clean up biz regs.  Make employer abuse of work force by not paying over time, not providing retirement plans and not offering medical plans punishable by not allowing the company to profit.  Create national arbitration boards to replace untions.  Unions were needed before but now they just feather their nest like any other beaucracy.  But workers need someone to look out for their rights.  Right to work means abuse to workers runs rampent.  Trust me on this one.  OR not.

Presidents, Board of Directors, and top producers can still make a lot of money but the millions on Wall Street and within the Banks and Insurance Companies is out of proportion to the rest of the American WAy.  I don't know that the solution to this is but maybe not allowing any company to become too big and somehow define it.  Having worked in the financial services industry for 22 years I can safely say that most of the top people and producers are crooks by any meaningful standard.  In this hierarchy someone is being screwed and it is usually a scapegoat rather than  the real moverfs at the top.  I suggest that if a company is proven to use illegal means for gain, that the entire board be fired and banished from the industry as well as all the top executives...or commit the Japanese ritual of sticking a sword in their guts....lol...just kidding...maybe. 

Stop the deconstruction of the American K-12 education system by giving money to charter schools to educate as their biases allow.  Common sense tells us that there is more to creating sound educational sytems than giving money to an untried school with a paraticiular bent.  Schools are not mushrooms that just pop up overnight nor are they ventures that all one needs to do is declare a school, buy or lease a buiklding, hire lesser teachers foar even lesser money, enroll students, buy some bookis and let er rip.   Most of these schools lose money and close.  WHY schould we be funding for these bentures when we could be funding and improving a school system that educasted millions of Americans since the late 1800s???   Set a national curriiculuum, not by States.  If people don't like the national curriculuum fine.  Send their kids wherever they want to go but WITHOUT TAX PAYERS FUNDING.   Let them go to Jesuit schools, Hillels, Muslim, Anarchy or Military Schools, but not with my money.

Create a national PEace Corps in which every AMerican serves for two-four years either before or after college.  Have the American Youth clean up ghettos, mentor kids at risk of falling behind, work on roads, bridges, in public healthy, bringing rural areas into the computer age, work in labs etc  each according to their skill level land intersts.   This would bring untold benefits to this country and help unify the country culturally and hopefully bring more tolerence to the varying beliefs and values in this country.  Mix em up.jj

Healthcare....Why does a hospital get 10x more money for aspirin than if someone ran to the drug store for us?    Why can't doctorys have equipement in their offices to do test llike the old days?   ( I know.  They think they're doing too many tests for profit rather than for health.  Big deal.  They d o that already!!!e At least we don't have to run all over town and spend more time and money getting there etc.   ITs a mess.  And I can't go on with this rant.

In American, is it just me, or is there just so much wrong with so many things that I think its time to either fix it or or or  tune out.  Go to a remote area.  Go back to the land.  Get a little farm for your family to self provide.  Use solar panels and a wind turbine for energy.  Live simply with less stuff and just forget about the rest of the world.   Oh yeah, I did that in the 60s and I was a hippie.  Why did I leave it?????  Mmmmmm.  Just remember in the novel  by Aldous Huxley  "1984"  with all the improvements, technology etc and Big Brother....there was an American Indian who refused to live that way and he faded out of sight back into the land.  Either we all commit to an honest reckoning or just drop out....lmaybe to Canada...

spartan

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 01, 2013, 08:45:22 PM

SSI actually is running at a surplus. Yes it needs to be overhauled, but IMO that might be better accomplished after we get the economy back to mid-2000 growth levels Get unemployment back under 5% and you'll have a lot more FICA revenue to help with a restructure.

As far as Medicare/caid, repeal Obamacare and craft a plan that includes a complete restructure of that mess.

No it is not. It ran a deficit for the first time lin 2010. By deficit I mean it paid out more than it took in.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/05/news/economy/social_security_trustees_report/index.htm
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How to fix economy easily « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools