Boards > The Red Board

Could Josh Freeman “Destroy” the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Playoff Hopes?

(1/12) > >>

michael89156:

Could Josh Freeman “Destroy” the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Playoff Hopes?

Feb 10th, 2013 at 3:48 pm

by Leo Howell

Recently, SI.com writer Tom Mantzouranis did a preview of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2013 offseason, but it turned into a rant against the Buccaneers’ quarterback Josh Freeman. Mantzouranis had this to say about Freeman and the Buccaneers:

At the team’s other big problem, under center, don’t expect it to be a big player either in the draft or free agency. The Bucs are going to play this year out with Freeman, and that’s a giant shoe dangling over the team’s 2013, threatening to drop at any second.

We’ll be looking at the Bucs and seeing a team that has improved in the secondary, but maybe not enough, with a quarterback that threatens to destroy a team that should otherwise be squarely in the playoff race.

So is the former Kansas State quarterback poised to have that kind of impact on the 2013 Buccaneers? It’s not out of the question. In a season where the offense put up numbers that had never been achieved in team history, Freeman was the center of more controversy and scrutiny than he was praise and confidence. Consistency remains the main concern with the Buccaneer signal caller, as he shows the ability to make the right throw, but also the propensity to abandon his better judgement and fundamentals in favor of mind-blowing decisions.

In terms of how he will impact the Buccaneers in the upcoming NFL season, the answer lies in the consistency of other aspects of the team. A healthy offensive line will be a key, as this will take pressure off of Josh Freeman and allow him time to make better decisions. The consistent effort of Mike Williams will help prevent some of the interceptions we saw this season, as Williams does tend to ease up on some routes and allow defensive backs to make a play on the ball. The continued success of Doug Martin is obviously a key, as running the ball takes the game out of the hands of Freeman. A better defense that doesn’t put the Buccaneers in losing positions would help, as well, as opposing teams can take more chances on defense with a lead, and will play differently knowing that their offense is going to have no problem moving the ball. Imagine if the Buccaneers didn’t have to rely on Josh Freeman in crunch time against the Giants this season, and the lead the offense had built was good enough to hold onto a victory?

I have had my moments of frustration with Josh Freeman, and still have my doubts as to his qualifications as a franchise quarterback. But consider that Joe Flacco was the 12th rated passer in the NFL in 2012, and he won Super Bowl MVP. Freeman does not need to be the superstar leader of the team to bring them to where they want to be. He does need to limit his mistakes. And it’s those mistakes that will make or break the Buccaneers in 2013. Freeman did improve from 2011 to 2012, and a continued focus on protecting the football next year should move Freeman up the quarterback ratings to where Flacco ranked this past season. So while Freeman is capable of destroying the Buccaneers playoff hopes, he’s also capable of giving them enough of a contribution to spark a playoff run. Such is the volatile life of an NFL quarterback.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/02/10/could-josh-freeman-destroy-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers-playoff-hopes/

Boid Fink:
Of course the premise has been beaten to death lately, and that alone should be cause for concern regarding our (fans) quarterback play.

Teams with decent QB play do not have these discussions.

Freeman will do as he did.  He will put up roughly the same numbers, he will fail to show an ability to pump fake, look off a safety or linebacker, miss his marks on throws by a margin as to make them circus catches or flat out uncatchable, he will fail to see and diagnose plays properly, almost maddeningly so.  He doesn't have those things down by any means, and it would be nice to see a QB who could throw a pump fake and consistently THROW (what a concept!) the ball into a spot not too far from where he threw it, so as to make a receiver a threat for some YAC after the fact.  He is replaceable, and not worthy of a big time contract.

I would love for him to prove me wrong, but what I am seeing is disconcerting.  I think he has flopped as the saviour of this franchise (and as a first round QB with such expectations), and will be a career backup.

Benchwarmer#1:
Boid, I think his inconsistancy is due in part by his introduction into the NFL. Not anyone there knew how to groom a first round QB, and they damn sure started him at a bad juncture. It's not really an excuse, but more of a reason as to why.

I think he's not as good as he should/can be, but will improve now that there is some consistancy within the staff and system. Having a different Playbook, players, and coaches every other season isn't the way to breed consistancy.

Now that the team has some stability, maybe he will as well.

TampaBucks05:
Uhh, I thought he already did that, twice.

1sparkybuc:

--- Quote from: Benchwarmer#1 on February 12, 2013, 12:57:24 AM ---Boid, I think his inconsistancy is due in part by his introduction into the NFL. Not anyone there knew how to groom a first round QB, and they damn sure started him at a bad juncture. It's not really an excuse, but more of a reason as to why.

I think he's not as good as he should/can be, but will improve now that there is some consistancy within the staff and system. Having a different Playbook, players, and coaches every other season isn't the way to breed consistancy.

Now that the team has some stability, maybe he will as well.

--- End quote ---

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and he had 25 TDs with only 6 interceptions with a sh!t team, sh!t scheme, and a sh!t coaching staff. Two games last season account for half of the interceptions he threw, and his total for the year was 2 less than the number Drew Brees had. Brees is considered by many to be elite based on performance and past record, and yet he falls apart in one season of coaching turmoil and piss poor defense. Freeman has had that since entering the league. The team is coming together in talent and experience, and finally has decent coaching. Freeman will lead the Bucs to the playoffs consistently because of the situation around him. He has the ability and the drive. A second year in this system with these people will work wonders. He's never going to be Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or Peyton Manning, but for sure he can be our Joe Flacco or Eli Manning.

Things are coming together for the Bucs at the same time things are falling apart for the other teams in our division. We lack depth and a handful of starters, but still we have fewer issues to address and more cap space. We beat two playoff teams without Nicks and Joseph. The protection will be better and you know there will be other upgrades at WR and TE. I expect 4,500 yards and 35 TDs, 9 picks in 2013. Our defense will finish 12th, maybe 13th.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version