Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Xavier Rhodes enters the picture for Buccaneers « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 12, 2013, 12:00:34 AM »

Xavier Rhodes enters the picture for Buccaneers

By Sander Philipse on Feb 11, 10:30a

Mike Ehrmann

Xavier Rhodes has steadily risen over the past few weeks, and he now appears to be in play as a mid first-round pick. Yes, you read that right: not Dee Milliner or Johnthan Banks, but Xavier Rhodes could be the front-runner for the Buccaneers' first-round draft pick this April. The FSU cornerback has apparently jumped ahead of Banks in most draft rankings.

It's not as weird as you may think. Rhodes is a big cornerback at 6'2", 217 lbs. He's physical, which is exactly what the Buccaneers want, and he doesn't shy away from tackling -- although his technique needs some work. He has the speed to hang with receivers down the field in man coverage, and looks good in zone coverage as well. He's an all-around, versatile cornerback who perhaps isn't elite, but who should be an instant, quality starter and has the potential to grow into a special player. Which is why Dan Kadar has him going to the Bucs in his latest mock draft.

After trading Aqib Talib, the Buccaneers' secondary was in shambles. Xavier Rhodes may seem like a reach here, but the gap between him and Milliner is not as big as some think. He's a rangy cornerback who would step in and upgrade this secondary immediately.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/2/11/3976236/nfl-mock-draft-2013-xavier-rhodes-buccaneers-cornerbacks

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 12, 2013, 12:33:03 AM »

Is he Sean Smith 2.0?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 12, 2013, 12:41:29 AM »

I would like to see this kids 40 time before I would consider him a mid first round pick.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 12, 2013, 01:24:45 AM »

I would like to see this kids 40 time before I would consider him a mid first round pick.

40-Yard Dash:  4.47

Over the next three months, he'll look to show/improve…

The one thing that Rhodes has never shown in his career is top-end speed. Teams will want to see that explosive burst expected of defensive backs at Pro Day. Rhodes also will need to have a good showing in agility drills. He will win team's over with his knowledge of the game and physical play. While he hardly gave up big plays, he could do a lot to improve his draft stock if he's able to post a sub-4.5 40-yard dash time.

NFLdraftscout.com

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

spurzo

Second String

« #4 : February 12, 2013, 02:57:17 AM »

His hips look abit stiff, I'm curious to see him in the db drills.  It's very rare to see a db over 210lbs able to turn and run smoothly.  But of course you make money with your 40

YReceiver14

Starter

« #5 : February 12, 2013, 07:53:44 AM »

His hips look abit stiff, I'm curious to see him in the db drills.  It's very rare to see a db over 210lbs able to turn and run smoothly.  But of course you make money with your 40

I won't be too happy if we end up with Rhodes in the 1st.  He's a stiff athlete and lacks short-area quickness.  Types like him who look good on paper always rise after the games end.

The second round is where he belongs.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
« #6 : February 12, 2013, 08:19:29 AM »

I aggre, he is a 2nd rounder. But I don't like Millner or Banks that hi either.

Jones Please.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #7 : February 12, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »

People are just now realizing Rhodes is a top 15 pick?

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #8 : February 12, 2013, 08:43:34 AM »

The kid already showed us his game speed and how well he can cover a deep route. What does it matter how fast he runs straight ahead in spandex and a T-shirt, without pads on, not trying to cover a WR?

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #9 : February 12, 2013, 08:47:54 AM »

everyone is moving up the draft boards.  so who's moving down?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 12, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »

this. i dont know if rhodes is a early teen pick. hes more of a mid 20s guy assuming he runs a decent 40

@YReceiver14

rhodes shows up in every game. not sure what you are watching. most draft pundits disagree with you. hes a late 1st rounder. hes in the 2nd round in a bunch of mocks because of how many guys grade out in the same region and dont get picked because mocks are done on team need, not BPA. i can think of 10 guys off the top of my head who will probly end up in the 2nd because of the numbers crunch and not because of lack of talent

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #11 : February 12, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »

everyone is moving up the draft boards.  so who's moving down?
Hah, you've noticed that too?  I swear I've seen about 20 different prospects that various people doubt will be available at 13.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 12, 2013, 09:46:16 AM »

Is he Sean Smith 2.0?

I think he's closer to Nnamdi Asomugha in his prime than Sean Smith.

Ms Elam

Starter

« #13 : February 12, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »

Is he Sean Smith 2.0?

I think he's closer to Nnamdi Asomugha in his prime than Sean Smith.
More like a Antonio Cromartie 2.0 a big physical corner who can run and cover deep routes well but can be broken down with double moves and quick shifty WR. That's bad but its not a turn off. Most big physical corners can't stick with Wes Welker, but they match up better with a guy like Andre Johnson or Fitzgerald or in our case specifically Roddy white or Julio Jones or Marcus Colston.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #14 : February 12, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »

If the Bucs grade him out as a first round selection then I'd be fine with it. At this point it's pure speculation until we see what the Bucs do with/in- 1) Eric Wright and 2) Free Agency.

There has been a lot of talk that this CB class is weak in comparison to last years. So does that necessitate elevating this years CB class to a high draft position than they should. I don't think that is a good thing. IMO the Bucs could take the PBA at 13 or trade back and still get either Rhodes or Banks. 
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Xavier Rhodes enters the picture for Buccaneers « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools