Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Xavier Rhodes enters the picture for Buccaneers « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #15 : February 12, 2013, 10:53:22 AM »

If the Bucs grade him out as a first round selection then I'd be fine with it. At this point it's pure speculation until we see what the Bucs do with/in- 1) Eric Wright and 2) Free Agency.

There has been a lot of talk that this CB class is weak in comparison to last years. So does that necessitate elevating this years CB class to a high draft position than they should. I don't think that is a good thing. IMO the Bucs could take the PBA at 13 or trade back and still get either Rhodes or Banks.

this is my train of thinking. either trade back some and take them in a postion with a better value, or take BPA at 13 and trade into the back  end of the 1st and take them if you dont feel comfortable waiting on them being there when you pick

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #16 : February 12, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »

I would like to see this kids 40 time before I would consider him a mid first round pick.

The kid already showed us his game speed and how well he can cover a deep route. What does it matter how fast he runs straight ahead in spandex and a T-shirt, without pads on, not trying to cover a WR?

+1

After being listed as a 2nd rounder for awhile, he's now considered the 2nd best CB in the draft and a top 15 pick by most....because people are watching game tape. Only a fool would disregard his game tape because he runs a slow 40 yard dash. He is a long strider and keeps up with receivers effortlessly. He might have problems with smaller shifty receivers, but we wouldn't be drafting him to cover those type of guys. Put him on Julio Jones, Cohlston, or Roddy White and forget about them for the rest of the game.

I'm wondering how long it takes for everyone to realize he is actually the #1 cornerback in the draft. Nothing against Milliner. He is a solid prospect, but there isn't another man coverage cornerback like Rhodes in this draft.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucsWin31

Starter

« #17 : February 12, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »

I've liked what I've seen from him. I'd take him at 13 & sign Sean Smith in FA.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
« #18 : February 12, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »

Depends on who goes in the top 12.  I agree that Rhodes is right up there neck and neck with Milliner for best CB.  With that being said, they're still not that far ahead of the next tier of CB's that would justify passing over a more talented O or D linemen to take Rhodes at 13.  Ideal situation, trade down a few spots and pick up a 3rd or 4th and still take Rhodes.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #19 : February 12, 2013, 06:07:56 PM »

I've liked what I've seen from him. I'd take him at 13 & sign Sean Smith in FA.
That should solve some problems.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #20 : February 12, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »

I think Rhodes and Sean Smith might have the same weaknesses. Big, physical, and match up well in man coverage against averaged sized to big receivers....but struggle against undersized cat quick guys like Welker. So I think if we drafted Rhodes, instead of Sean Smith we might wanna look at a smaller, quicker CB in free agency. NFL is all about match ups, and while we have lots of big receivers in our division, many teams have an undersized shifty WR.

Although Rhodes and Smith as a 1 and 2 would be pretty nice. Maybe Johnson or Gaitor could step up and cover the smaller guys.

Draft Aaron Donald

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #21 : February 12, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »

Depends on who goes in the top 12.  I agree that Rhodes is right up there neck and neck with Milliner for best CB.  With that being said, they're still not that far ahead of the next tier of CB's that would justify passing over a more talented O or D linemen to take Rhodes at 13.  Ideal situation, trade down a few spots and pick up a 3rd or 4th and still take Rhodes.

If they aren't much better than next the tier, history says the 2nd tier gets drafted higher instead of the 1st tier dropping. There's a run on corners in a lot of years. I think, like it or not, we're going to have to take one at 13 or trade back into the 1st round to get a guy we like. Milliner, Rhodes, Banks, Trufant, and even Logan Ryan are all possibly gone before we pick in round 2. Now we're looking at 3rd and 4th tier corners and that's just not going to cut it for us.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #22 : February 12, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »

I think there is quite a big difference between Milliner/Rhodes....and the rest.

Draft Aaron Donald

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #23 : February 12, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »

I would like to see this kids 40 time before I would consider him a mid first round pick.

^ this

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
« #24 : February 12, 2013, 07:14:16 PM »

I think Rhodes and Sean Smith might have the same weaknesses. Big, physical, and match up well in man coverage against averaged sized to big receivers....but struggle against undersized cat quick guys like Welker. So I think if we drafted Rhodes, instead of Sean Smith we might wanna look at a smaller, quicker CB in free agency. NFL is all about match ups, and while we have lots of big receivers in our division, many teams have an undersized shifty WR.

Although Rhodes and Smith as a 1 and 2 would be pretty nice. Maybe Johnson or Gaitor could step up and cover the smaller guys.
Agree that we need a quicker, more agile guy to cover that type of WR.  McKelvin could be a reasonably priced option in FA and help our return game.  We could also look to draft another CB like McFadden or Allford if they somehow fall to the 4th.  I like both of their skillsets to matchup in the slot.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #25 : February 12, 2013, 09:25:49 PM »

Agree.  I like Rhodes, but as of now, I think he could be had in the late teens, early twenties.  There are a lot of good linemen that will go early, and possibly a QB run early.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #26 : February 12, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »

If you think he's a late teen pick, is it really worth not taking him at 13? I think folks get too caught up in projections and rankings and mocks. I f you desperately need a corner back that excels in man coverage, and there is one with a first round grade, how can you pass on him and hope he's there 6 or 7 picks later?

Draft Aaron Donald

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #27 : February 12, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »

If you think he's a late teen pick, is it really worth not taking him at 13? I think folks get too caught up in projections and rankings and mocks. I f you desperately need a corner back that excels in man coverage, and there is one with a first round grade, how can you pass on him and hope he's there 6 or 7 picks later?

Its a gamble, but you may come out of it with an extra 3rd or whatever, and still get your guy.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
« #28 : February 12, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »

40-Yard Dash:  4.47

Over the next three months, he'll look to show/improve…

The one thing that Rhodes has never shown in his career is top-end speed. Teams will want to see that explosive burst expected of defensive backs at Pro Day. Rhodes also will need to have a good showing in agility drills. He will win team's over with his knowledge of the game and physical play. While he hardly gave up big plays, he could do a lot to improve his draft stock if he's able to post a sub-4.5 40-yard dash time.

NFLdraftscout.com

Never read a 40 time and believe it. You can only go by the 40 times where they all run at the same place and same time (NFL combine). All other 40 times are complete bogus most of the time.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #29 : February 12, 2013, 10:21:37 PM »

everyone is moving up the draft boards.  so who's moving down?

Manti ?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Xavier Rhodes enters the picture for Buccaneers « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools