Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs showing little interest in re-signing Roy Miller « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 12, 2013, 12:00:53 AM »

FEBRUARY 11, 2013

With free agency looming, Bucs showing little interest in re-signing Roy Miller

The Bucs have a number of issues to address on defense, but stopping the run is not among them. Tampa Bay led the NFL in rushing defense in 2013, limiting opponents to 3.5 yards per attempt.

A major reason for that success: The play of nose tackle Roy Miller, who produced, perhaps, his best season as a pro. His numbers (24 tackles) won’t reflect it, as is often the case for nose tackles. But Miller contributed significantly to the Bucs’ greatly-improved rushing defense with stout play at the line of scrimmage.

In a few weeks, Miller becomes an unrestricted free agent. Despite that, we’ve learned there have been no substantive contract talks between Miller and the Bucs, calling into question the team's commitment to re-signing its 2009 third-round pick.

There’s still plenty of time for talk; if unsigned, Miller, 25, won’t hit the open market until March 12, when the free-agent signing period begins.

But the apparent lack of interest is somewhat surprising. The Bucs lauded Miller’s play during the season. Coach Greg Schiano had Miller play the so-called “tilted nose”, aligning him at angle rather than head up on an offensive lineman. And Miller thrived in the role for which Schiano said Miller is “custom built.”

“He's a heck of a run-stopper,” Schiano added.

And if you ask the opinion of defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, who is close to Miller, he’d tell you Miller is a keeper. Defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan in December spoke to the impact of Miller’s play on McCoy, who made his first Pro Bowl in 2012.

“I think how Roy has played and how physical he is in the run game has given a chance for. . . Gerald to get a single block, get off and make plays,” Sheridan said. “I think Roy has had a very good year. He's been very disruptive. He's a guy a lot of times you need to put two blockers on or else he's got a chance to really knock the center back and get in the backfield.”

Miller has been durable, missing just one game in three years despite a painful back injury in 2011. And he’s the kind of player Schiano would consider a “Buccaneer man,” showing strong character and leadership in how he works.

Given so many positives, why would there be hesitation from the Bucs? Because the NFL remains a business.

In the team’s defense, it can be hard to put a value on nose tackles who don’t produce flashy statistics or, in the case of Miller, play on third downs and in passing situations. And without knowing Miller’s asking price, it’s impossible to determine whether either side is being unreasonable.

Still, if the Bucs are willing to risk losing Miller, they’d best have a plan to replace him. The team has little depth on the interior of its defensive line, with 30-year-old backup Gary Gibson the only other true nose tackle on the roster.

There will be some options available in the draft. And free agency might provide an opportunity to address the need, too. But whatever route the Bucs choose, nose tackle is a position that needs to be dealt with – either via re-signing Miller or by finding another impactful player through other means.

For a defense that has several weak spots – including (statistically, anyway) the worst pass defense in football – there already are multiple positions in need of an upgrade. As they try to improve those other areas, it’s just as critical for the Bucs to ensure their run defense remains a bright spot – with or without Miller.

Posted by Stephen Holder at 10:36:17 am on February 11, 2013
« : February 12, 2013, 12:08:01 AM michael89156 »

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 12, 2013, 12:10:37 AM »

Hmmm, guessing Roy's agent is frustrated by the Bucs and decided to send a message . . .

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 12, 2013, 01:12:48 AM »

I thought he played pretty well. What do they expect out of the guy?  Double digit sacks?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 12, 2013, 02:05:00 AM »

More than one sack a year would be nice.

Miller is expendable.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 12, 2013, 05:14:36 AM »

We need to get McCoy some real help anyway.at the DT spot.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #5 : February 12, 2013, 08:59:58 AM »

who are the Bucs showing interest in?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 12, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »

FOR YEARS DOMINIK SAID HE'S BEEN SAVING MONEY TO GIVE SECOND CONTRACTS TO ALL HIS GREAT DRAFT PICKS!!!! PAY HIM!!!!

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 12, 2013, 10:32:12 AM »

He's a useful guy who needs to get paid in line with what he is. He's not irreplaceable by any means and maybe that spot is where we're gonna be low cost on the DL so we will just roll a series of minimum wage type workers into that gig.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #8 : February 12, 2013, 10:41:14 AM »

bad idea not bringing miller back. he was the one guy who played constant all year. he doesnt offer anything as a passrusher but he is adept at clogging the middle and taking double teams. he doesnt complain about that role and he wont cost much. i dont understand why you wouldnt bring him back

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 12, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »

bad idea not bringing miller back. he was the one guy who played constant all year. he doesnt offer anything as a passrusher but he is adept at clogging the middle and taking double teams. he doesnt complain about that role and he wont cost much. i dont understand why you wouldnt bring him back
Chances are they'll let him explore the market, no one will be interested, and then once he knows his value he'll re-sign for cheap.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 12, 2013, 10:56:26 AM »

Chances are they'll let him explore the market, no one will be interested, and then once he knows his value he'll re-sign for cheap.

hopefully we dont lose the gamble here

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #11 : February 12, 2013, 11:09:46 AM »

Man, it's a funny topic here.

The same people calling for Freeman's head, think miller is someone we should keep?

Freaking, wow. I can only shake my head at ya..

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 12, 2013, 11:19:14 AM »

Man, it's a funny topic here.

The same people calling for Freeman's head, think miller is someone we should keep?

Freaking, wow. I can only shake my head at ya..
1. You have 53 players on the roster. Not everyone can be a star and if all your players were stars, you wouldn't be able to afford them all.

2. Defensive line is a position where you can maximize a player's strengths and minimize his weaknesses by only playing him in specific situations when he can do what he's best at. Miller can stuff the run but can't rush the passer so you play him when you're pretty sure the opponent is going to run and put him on the bench when you think they're going to pass. With QB, you only play one guy for every play. He has to be at least pretty good at everything. You don't have role players.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #13 : February 12, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »

That was standard operating procedure in the Dungy-McKay era. I think Miller played very well last year and I think it's probably smart to resign him, but the price has to be right.  He was mostly a two-down guy, and we get 90% of what he's bringing from Gibson. There are also outside FA that might do the job for better and/or for a cheaper price.

Dexmonkey, he probably won't cost much, but I'm guessing that he and his agent haven't figured that out quite yet. And that's why there hasn't been any movement. 

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #14 : February 12, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »

He was on skates all of 10 and 11. I'd tell him to test FA to see what his market value is.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs showing little interest in re-signing Roy Miller « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools