Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Dom be Fired if the Bucs do not make the playoffs in 2013? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
: February 12, 2013, 12:11:38 PM

Should Mark Dominick be fired if the Bucs fail to reach the playoffs in 2013?

IMO yes, he should be fired considering that he would have been GM for 5 years and 5 years with no playoffs is unacceptable.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 12, 2013, 12:18:58 PM

Depends. Im leaning yes but I think if were just outside looking in maybe not. I actually think hes done a decent job. Its not easy to get into the playoffs. Its so competitive now days. I think hes done a solid job building the team but playoffs need to happen this year. The fans deserve it and the team has been so close. Hopefully they break through this year. 

vicious00cycle

Starter
#2 : February 12, 2013, 12:31:41 PM

I think it's going to depend on a lot of different factors, not just postseason success. Coaching staff, QB play, Free Agency and Draft additions, etc., etc. He's in a weird position as a GM because he just brought in a rookie HC last year with a rag-tag coaching staff assembled around him, but on the other hand he's got a QB that's been here for 5 years and has been very inconsistent. A lot of GM's fates are tied to their first round QB selections but he might have some cushion due to Schiano's own growth and development as a coach... It's important to remember that Tampa's "rebuild" has been a two-fold task in the last few years: Rebuild the roster, (not retool), AND change the culture to establish dominance for years to come. I honestly see this as a possible decade-long process with plenty of peaks and valleys in that time. To remove Dominick in the thick of that job and risk starting all over at HC, coaching staff, scheme, and players could reverse all the progress that's been made thus far. I think the real measuring stick for Dom next year will be the development of Free and how he navigates Free Agency and the Draft this year. If he can repeat the same level of success that he had last year in the offseason, then that shows me that he's also growing and developing into a solid GM. Remember, he's still a young "Buc" too in his job role.

\"He doesn\'t want a people to rule so much as he wants puppets to entertain his madness.\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 12, 2013, 01:21:30 PM

No.

Schiano should be fired and freeman let go. After that, the owners should do everything they can to bring a HC here that has vast NFL knowledge.

Dom's picks were alright. Blount looked good at one time and he came from the depths of the waver wire, VJ has been baller, MW isn't bad for a 4th, freeman has set records, Doug martin has been damn-near elite, and Penn has proved that a reworked contract doesn't mean he's automatically going to jump in the buffet line (ha!)

In all seriousness, I cannot judge dom too much. As with other things in this org, it stems from the top-down. Dom still has yet to have a coach that doesn't have to go through "growing pains" of some sort. Dom has been as well, if not better in his draft and FA than many other GMs. Personally, I like his approach and think it will better the team in years to come.

Who here can honestly say we aren't an "elite" QB away from an elite offense?? To me, it says a lot about dom's selections.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#4 : February 12, 2013, 01:31:20 PM

I think it all starts with the line.  I don't think our O line is bad but it's along way from elite.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#5 : February 12, 2013, 01:32:34 PM

...as far as Dom goes I think he's growing into his job quite nicely.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 12, 2013, 01:34:06 PM

Yes, yes he should be.

Fair or not, he is ultimately responsible for the Bucs still being devoid of talent in many areas.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#7 : February 12, 2013, 01:37:07 PM

Could the problem be the Glazers not willing to spend money.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 12, 2013, 01:37:59 PM

No, no, and no.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 12, 2013, 01:41:36 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens this off season - with FA, the draft, and overall preparations of the team - then progress or lack thereof.  Not contingent upon playoffs - but rather progress as a team and organization.  It will be interesting how Oline payroll is brought into line - with two guards and a center being paid pretty nicely ... need a lot of proving that investment was correct. 

On a side note - anyone heard about Black's rehab?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 12, 2013, 01:43:19 PM

chace, I agree that he is ultimately responsible, however, I respectfuly disagree that he should be fired if for whatever reason, they moss the playoffs. In a word, this team for the past decade has lacked, CONTINUITY. From the overall direction, offensive and defensive schemes, coaches that fit the schemes, palyers that fit the coaches schemes, etc, etc. And who suffers, we do the fans. You know better than me, that historically, the better performing franchises in the league, Pittsburg, SF, Dallas, NE, etc have one thing in common, CONTINUITY. hey if they do a dump like two years ago, for sure, they all go, just like Raheem but if there is progress, then let's let Dom & Schiano have their 5 years. me, I am totally sick of the constant unnecessary turnover within this organization. Hell, just look at the Rays, as a clear example of an organization that has a low end budget and is VERY competetive, year in and year out. Do I want the playoffs next year. You bet but not at the expense of flushing down the toilet of another regeime and having to start all over again. JMHO!

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

youngone

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 12, 2013, 01:48:16 PM

Depends on the circumstances. If the teams stays relatively healthy and they suck then yes. I think Dom has a done a good job for the most part. We haven't made the playoffs during his tenure but to be fair he did field a 10-6 team that didn't make the postseason the same year that a 8-8 team made it.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 12, 2013, 01:55:01 PM

Rusty, I agree with your overall statement, but I cannot compare cheap by NFL standards as the same as cheap in the MLB.

When there are elite guys out there for the taking, you go get them and spend. That's in the NFL. In the MLB ranks, they can just go to Cuba and pick up someone for chump-change. That's a world sport, so it's much more daunting, but easier to find cheap talent. In the NFL, it's not so easy and you have to get what you can, when you can. It's not a world sport, so finding talent in that particular area is a little tougher by comparison.

Dom is a pretty good GM. He's "homegrown" and genuinely cares about the team and people in the TB area. If there is anyone to blame for current failures it's the glazers. The shelf was bare, and they gave us...raheem.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 12, 2013, 01:55:28 PM

I guess....that is...if you chose to ignore the pre-'12 $/deals given to MC80, Ward, Joseph, Q. Black, T-Jax, Winslow, Sean Jones, Antonio Bryant, Trueblood, Byron Leftwich, Luke McCown, Barber, Koenen, etc.

The Bucs spent $. They just didn't always do it wisely.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 12, 2013, 02:04:33 PM

I guess....that is...if you chose to ignore the pre-'12 $/deals given to MC80, Ward, Joseph, Q. Black, T-Jax, Winslow, Sean Jones, Antonio Bryant, Trueblood, Byron Leftwich, Luke McCown, Barber, Koenen, etc.

The Bucs spent $. They just didn't always do it wisely.

That is 100% correct.

However, IMO most of this franchises problems come from the poor drafting during the Gruden years.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Dom be Fired if the Bucs do not make the playoffs in 2013? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools