Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who gets your vote for....The worst free agent signing in Buccaneer history? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Hate

Hall of Famer
#45 : February 14, 2013, 05:37:56 PM

i think my HATE for Garner stems from the mistakes that followed. If you keep Thomas Jones, there is no Carnell. Maybe we take an Aaron Rodgers.

Well, when you look at it like that - it's hard to disagree. I never understood why Gruden never gave Jones a real chance to prove himself. And we should have taken Rodgers anyway.

I'm not buying that Hate. I think Gruden simply wasn't sold on Rodgers - I can't possibly believe that he would be so dumb to pass on Rodgers for a RB if he thought Rodgers would be any kind of QB.

Which brings about the question..... how, exactly, did he become the QB guru? But i guess that's a topic for another thread.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

SoberInSac

Second String

#46 : February 14, 2013, 05:40:32 PM

sorry if its all ready been said  but, my vote is Charlie Garner. with a special consideration for Tim Brown.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#47 : February 14, 2013, 06:47:08 PM

Alvin Harper 65 receptions, 922 yds, 3 tds. 4 yrs, $10 mil
Charlie Garner 30 carries, 111 yds,  0 tds. 6 yrs, $20 mil - $4 mil guaranteed

UGH!!!!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#48 : February 14, 2013, 06:52:48 PM

i think my HATE for Garner stems from the mistakes that followed. If you keep Thomas Jones, there is no Carnell. Maybe we take an Aaron Rodgers.

Well, when you look at it like that - it's hard to disagree. I never understood why Gruden never gave Jones a real chance to prove himself. And we should have taken Rodgers anyway.

Thomas Jones played for 6 teams in his "illustrious" 12 year NFL career.  Apparently Gruden wasn't the only one that thought it was ok to let the guy walk ... smh

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#49 : February 14, 2013, 06:54:47 PM

I'm not buying that Hate. I think Gruden simply wasn't sold on Rodgers - I can't possibly believe that he would be so dumb to pass on Rodgers for a RB if he thought Rodgers would be any kind of QB.

Which brings about the question..... how, exactly, did he become the QB guru? But i guess that's a topic for another thread.

Rich Gannon

Hate

Hall of Famer
#50 : February 14, 2013, 06:55:55 PM

Thomas Jones played for 6 teams in his "illustrious" 12 year NFL career.  Apparently Gruden wasn't the only one that thought it was ok to let the guy walk ... smh

Those other teams weren't my team..... so i don't really give a crap what they think.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#51 : February 14, 2013, 06:58:07 PM

Rich Gannon

Gannon's best season came under the tutelage of Bill Callahan.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#52 : February 14, 2013, 06:59:09 PM

Those other teams weren't my team..... so i don't really give a crap what they think.

well of course not it screws up the Gruden ranting

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#53 : February 14, 2013, 07:00:41 PM

Rich Gannon

Gannon's best season came under the tutelage of Bill Callahan.

after 3 years with Gruden and with Gruden's offense .... what he did in Oakland and with Rich Gannon is why he had the rep of offensive guru ... you asked, you don't have to like it

Hate

Hall of Famer
#54 : February 14, 2013, 07:01:07 PM

Regardless of how you spin it, letting a healthy Jones go for a broken down Garner was stupid.... and paid him more money to boot.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#55 : February 14, 2013, 07:01:24 PM

Anyone who doesn't say Alvin Harper either isn't a "real" Buc fan or hasn't been a Buc fan for long

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#56 : February 14, 2013, 07:09:37 PM

Regardless of how you spin it, letting a healthy Jones go for a broken down Garner was stupid.... and paid him more money to boot.

I can't remember the details, but I believe that veteran players with at least so many years of experience counted less against the cap.  Guys like Garner, Steussie, Brown fell into that category.   They also knew his system.   It didn't work out, but it was a plan to try and remain contending with no cap room, few premium draft picks, and an aging team.   

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#57 : February 14, 2013, 07:29:48 PM

Turn the page.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#58 : February 14, 2013, 07:40:19 PM

I can't remember the details, but I believe that veteran players with at least so many years of experience counted less against the cap.  Guys like Garner, Steussie, Brown fell into that category.   They also knew his system.   It didn't work out, but it was a plan to try and remain contending with no cap room, few premium draft picks, and an aging team.

Garner got more guaranteed $$ than Jones so the 'no cap room' excuse doesn't fly in this instance. And IIRC, only vets on a one yr minimum deal got a break against the cap. Bottom line is the guy pocketed $4 mil for 111 yrds rushing.... and got run down from behind by Sapp in the process.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#59 : February 14, 2013, 07:49:46 PM

Garner got more guaranteed $$ than Jones so the 'no cap room' excuse doesn't fly in this instance. And IIRC, only vets on a one yr minimum deal got a break against the cap. Bottom line is the guy pocketed $4 mil for 111 yrds rushing.... and got run down from behind by Sapp in the process.

I didn't make any excuses, Jones got I believe 500K less guaranteed.  Not a big deal.    5 other coaches/gms let the guy walk for a reason, but like I said that fact screws up the Gruden ranting
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who gets your vote for....The worst free agent signing in Buccaneer history? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools