Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clowney would go #1 this year, and will be #1 next year, so should he sit out? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

youngone

Hall of Famer
#45 : February 14, 2013, 07:39:44 PM

He should play out his junior year. Personally I would want my future #1 overall pick to have that "I want to be out there battling with my teammates" attitude. Would anybody suggest that he sit out his contract year just because he is going to get a fat contract regardless? Kinda puts in to the spotlight the whole "buccaneer men" mantra Schiano speaks of with him wanting guys that just love to play football. No one player is bigger than game so I think he should fall in line with the other great college players that came before him.

what if his attitude is that he is going to a NFL-get-ready camp for a year?

i hate it, but its todays reality.

Then he is all about the money and not the love of the game , which is a bad sign. Someone who loves the game wouldn't sit on thier hands for an entire year while his teammates go to battle. It would be worth the risk to them to play. 

BTW , you can get hurt running drills in a camp also . Those work-outs they do are pretty intense.

My point exactly.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#46 : February 14, 2013, 07:56:43 PM

If anything, they need to make the rule stronger and do a better job at enforcing the curricular standards in college programs. NFL careers are short and these kids should have a real education forced upon them whether they want it or not, so that they stand a chance at being responsible with there short term riches, and can be a positive member of society after football. 

Half these kids come from dirt poor families with little education. Then the colleges let them slide thru without getting a real education, the NFL hands them a ton of money, and then we fans point fingers and criticize when they self destruct. It's lame. We need to do better. Relaxing the three year rule would only make things worse.

How exactly do you plan on forcing an education on someone?

tog

Pro Bowler
#47 : February 14, 2013, 07:57:18 PM

It's real nice for people who haven't played Div 1 or professional football to say that he needs to play for his teammates and all that jazz.

This is his future, and this is his families future.  It's not some lovey-dovey battle with the boys bull**CENSORED**. It's millions of dollars - the rest of his life - on the line.  I'd sue in a heartbeat.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#48 : February 14, 2013, 08:22:48 PM

If anything, they need to make the rule stronger and do a better job at enforcing the curricular standards in college programs. NFL careers are short and these kids should have a real education forced upon them whether they want it or not, so that they stand a chance at being responsible with there short term riches, and can be a positive member of society after football. 

Half these kids come from dirt poor families with little education. Then the colleges let them slide thru without getting a real education, the NFL hands them a ton of money, and then we fans point fingers and criticize when they self destruct. It's lame. We need to do better. Relaxing the three year rule would only make things worse.

How exactly do you plan on forcing an education on someone?

Well they could start by making them legitimately maintain a passing grade....without special treatment or cheating. The Ivy league schools and many others do it. These schools should be embarrassed when their "graduates" are on national television showing what complete morons they are. I realize it's a money game, but a change in culture is really what needs to happen. It should start in high school. No matter how talented a kid is, he shouldn't be offered scholarships if he doesn't show the hard work and effort required to have passing grades. Not every football player is going to be a genius, but if they don't put forth the effort scholastically, they should not get a scholarship. Once they get to college, they should be held to that same level of expectations, or risk having their scholarship revoked. As long as they keep pushing through and rewarding dumb ass irresponsible kids, nothing will change.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#49 : February 14, 2013, 08:54:25 PM

It's real nice for people who haven't played Div 1 or professional football to say that he needs to play for his teammates and all that jazz.

This is his future, and this is his families future.  It's not some lovey-dovey battle with the boys bull**CENSORED**. It's millions of dollars - the rest of his life - on the line.  I'd sue in a heartbeat.

Agree with this.  Its noble to say he should get his education, and play for love of the game and all that jazz.  But if he goes out next season and tears up a knee, or gets a concussion or whatever.  It could be all over for him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#50 : February 14, 2013, 09:05:07 PM

Agree with this.  Its noble to say he should get his education, and play for love of the game and all that jazz.  But if he goes out next season and tears up a knee, or gets a concussion or whatever.  It could be all over for him.

All the more reason to get a real education while in college for free.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#51 : February 14, 2013, 09:10:21 PM

There are plenty of people with college degrees currently unemployed.... he's holding a multi-million dollar lottery ticket right now and i wouldn't blame him at all for not screwing with it.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#52 : February 14, 2013, 09:10:59 PM

All the more reason to let him into the league. What is the NBA requirement?  I believe its one and done?  The NFL should go that route.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

youngone

Hall of Famer
#53 : February 14, 2013, 09:42:56 PM

All the more reason to let him into the league. What is the NBA requirement?  I believe its one and done?  The NFL should go that route.
To water down the quality of the game like the NBA? Can't do that.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#54 : February 14, 2013, 10:20:05 PM

Does that attitude benefit his team?

his college team?  no.  his NFL team?  quite possibly.  now does his NFL team care about how south carolina does?  i doubt it.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#55 : February 14, 2013, 10:23:57 PM

Then he is all about the money and not the love of the game , which is a bad sign. Someone who loves the game wouldn't sit on thier hands for an entire year while his teammates go to battle. It would be worth the risk to them to play. 

BTW , you can get hurt running drills in a camp also . Those work-outs they do are pretty intense.

depends on how you look at it.  he sacrificed his college for his NFL team and dream.  some might see that he really cares about being special in the NFL.  tim tebow won championships in college, but he didnt prepare himself for the NFL game.  some might look at this as doing the most a player can do to prepare.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#56 : February 14, 2013, 10:26:16 PM

but a change in culture is really what needs to happen.

in CFB or in life and society?  #igottagetmine

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#57 : February 14, 2013, 10:31:16 PM

insurance

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#58 : February 15, 2013, 12:08:57 AM

insurance

But who would pay the premiums?  He is a broke college kid.  And if he had an agent or a manager to pay the insurance,  then your getting into all other sorts of illegality.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#59 : February 15, 2013, 12:54:56 AM

insurance

But who would pay the premiums?  He is a broke college kid.  And if he had an agent or a manager to pay the insurance,  then your getting into all other sorts of illegality.

IHe has a season to play. The insurance premium might be a few thousand, but even if it was $10,000 I am pretty sure he could get a no payment loan against his $50 million future contract, right?  You dont think someone would take the risk of loaning him the $10,000 premium payment against, say, a $30,000 payback?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clowney would go #1 this year, and will be #1 next year, so should he sit out? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools