Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clowney would go #1 this year, and will be #1 next year, so should he sit out? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

bamabucs

Starter

#60 : February 15, 2013, 03:55:59 AM

So many idiots talking about lack of commitment, passing up on education and not being ready for the big boy game etc.

Yes it helps to be committed to your team and love of football, but isn't it all about money at the end of the day? Is it about making money and being better off for the rest of their lives or being Rudy? And what if Clowney likes money more than others do? It does not automatically mean he will not put up the required effort to be the best he can be after he gets paid.

Education? What education are you talking about? Oh that degree in useless social service or liberal arts after which you end up being a cashier at McDonald's anyways, that education? There are some guys who really take their education seriously, opt for challenging majors and do very well there along with their usual football routine. Those guys like Andrew Luck and McElroy aren't giving up education even if you want them to. But let the ones that do not know 10^2 = 100 stay out of education and choose what is best for their talents.

May be he is ready for the NFL, may be he isnt. Let him decide what is best for him. And you mooks (I am looking at you JDouble) worrying about how letting 19 year olds will lead to more busts, injuries and suits on NFL. Those kids made their choice what they want to pursue. Yes they have higher chances of getting injured, but why would that make a good case to sue against NFL? I don't see any damn logic there.

bamabucs

Starter

#61 : February 15, 2013, 04:02:13 AM

If anything, they need to make the rule stronger and do a better job at enforcing the curricular standards in college programs. NFL careers are short and these kids should have a real education forced upon them whether they want it or not, so that they stand a chance at being responsible with there short term riches, and can be a positive member of society after football. 

Half these kids come from dirt poor families with little education. Then the colleges let them slide thru without getting a real education, the NFL hands them a ton of money, and then we fans point fingers and criticize when they self destruct. It's lame. We need to do better. Relaxing the three year rule would only make things worse.

How exactly do you plan on forcing an education on someone?

Don't call it education. This isn't the STEM degrees these guys are pursuing where United States has a big need to fill and encourages Asian immigrants for that purpose. 95% of these guys pursue useless **CENSORED** like Fine arts, philosophy etc.

I always visit this board to point out the ignorance of some posters around here and these guys rarely disappoint me. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#62 : February 15, 2013, 07:46:40 AM

Then he is all about the money and not the love of the game , which is a bad sign. Someone who loves the game wouldn't sit on thier hands for an entire year while his teammates go to battle. It would be worth the risk to them to play. 

BTW , you can get hurt running drills in a camp also . Those work-outs they do are pretty intense.

depends on how you look at it.  he sacrificed his college for his NFL team and dream.  some might see that he really cares about being special in the NFL.  tim tebow won championships in college, but he didnt prepare himself for the NFL game.  some might look at this as doing the most a player can do to prepare.

So would he do that same thing if he was projected to be a 4th round pick ? Leave college and work on becoming a better NFL player ? I garantee the answer is a big hell no. It's all about the money.

I'm not even saying I fault him for it. It's a lot of damn money. I just don't like it and I wouldn't have much respect for a move like that.
: February 15, 2013, 07:48:23 AM Fire Mark Dummynik

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#63 : February 15, 2013, 08:10:37 AM

So many idiots talking about lack of commitment, passing up on education and not being ready for the big boy game etc.

Yes because discussing things like commitment and education make you an idiot.....?

Education? What education are you talking about? Oh that degree in useless social service or liberal arts after which you end up being a cashier at McDonald's anyways, that education? There are some guys who really take their education seriously, opt for challenging majors and do very well there along with their usual football routine. Those guys like Andrew Luck and McElroy aren't giving up education even if you want them to. But let the ones that do not know 10^2 = 100 stay out of education and choose what is best for their talents.

I didn't realize footballo players were only allowed to major in social service and liberal arts. I was under the assumption they could major in what ever they want to. If they were held to higher academic standards, then maybe they would leave with a degree which would actually be useful later on in life.

May be he is ready for the NFL, may be he isnt. Let him decide what is best for him. And you mooks (I am looking at you JDouble) worrying about how letting 19 year olds will lead to more busts, injuries and suits on NFL. Those kids made their choice what they want to pursue. Yes they have higher chances of getting injured, but why would that make a good case to sue against NFL?

Not sure what a mook is, but I never raised any concern about more busts, injuries, or suits.....so get your facts straight before you rant. They've made their decision huh? They know what they are getting into? Sure, cause at 18 you fully understand the ramification behind all your decisions right? Gimme a break. You wanna start letting 18 year old kids into the NFL....but I'm the idiot?

I don't see any damn logic there.

I agree. Your entire rant was pointless and had zero logic.

danimal09

Starter

#64 : February 15, 2013, 08:15:38 AM

This is a stupid argument. It's obvious to me that the rule is restricting a free market and is not benefiting anyone except the extremely corrupt college system. If he decided to sit out that is his choice and doesn't have to explain to any Nancy that "just doesn't like the move". It would be the smart business choice and frankly I would love that he is sticking it to the NCAA. Now that all being said, the NFL does have the right to make their own rules you could argue. I would argue that the NFL is a monopoly and any rule like this restricting trade should be challenged and changed. My 2 cents.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#65 : February 15, 2013, 08:17:27 AM

...the NFL does have the right to make their own rules...

This should be the beginning and end of that part of the discussion.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

danimal09

Starter

#66 : February 15, 2013, 08:19:20 AM

Agree it should be. And it should be a rule that gets challenged and beaten.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#67 : February 15, 2013, 08:23:20 AM

Why is that?

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#68 : February 15, 2013, 08:33:49 AM

So would he do that same thing if he was projected to be a 4th round pick ? Leave college and work on becoming a better NFL player ? I garantee the answer is a big hell no. It's all about the money.

I'm not even saying I fault him for it. It's a lot of damn money. I just don't like it and I wouldn't have much respect for a move like that.

of course its all about the money.  but staying at southcar isnt about the love of the game either, its about getting the the NFL and getting paid.  we certainly agree its all about the money.  if he stays all 4 years at southcar then ill start buying that he loves the game and his teammates.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#69 : February 15, 2013, 08:35:04 AM

It's obvious to me that the rule is restricting a free market and is not benefiting anyone except the extremely corrupt college system.

benefits the NFL also.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

youngone

Hall of Famer
#70 : February 15, 2013, 08:49:19 AM

Agree it should be. And it should be a rule that gets challenged and beaten.
Based on what? Almost every good paying job I know has their own requirements for anyone applying for employment.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#71 : February 15, 2013, 08:54:52 AM

It's the NFL's right to not allow teenagers to join their league.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#72 : February 15, 2013, 08:59:21 AM

If the NBA actually cared about the product more than star power I bet they would have the same rules too. That's why their busts rate is through the roof.
: February 15, 2013, 09:06:51 AM youngone

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#73 : February 15, 2013, 08:59:23 AM

It's the NFL's right to not allow teenagers to join their league.

Something that is being missed here is that it isn't just the NFL's rule.  This rule was collectively bargained by the NFLPA as well.  They have some skin in this issue too.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#74 : February 15, 2013, 11:15:30 AM

All the more reason to get a real education while in college for free.

You make interesting points but you also sound like a idealist. (no offense) Free education? Many know these guys would not meet the academic requirements to enter big schools. We know it and colleges know it. Yet they make millions off of them and place them in majors like physical education, general studies, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if half the guys in this group are not smart enough academically the successfully pass college level classes on their own. Fans argue they should get an education and later laugh when fail the wonderlic test.  Lets me real about the situation. Only a small fraction of these players are going to the NFL. The rest are going home with nothing but college memories. If the kids wants to try the NFL let him. However, this college will agrue rules so they can make more money off him.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clowney would go #1 this year, and will be #1 next year, so should he sit out? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools