Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clowney would go #1 this year, and will be #1 next year, so should he sit out? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

bamabucs

Starter

#90 : February 16, 2013, 05:48:05 AM

So many idiots talking about lack of commitment, passing up on education and not being ready for the big boy game etc.

Yes because discussing things like commitment and education make you an idiot.....?

Education? What education are you talking about? Oh that degree in useless social service or liberal arts after which you end up being a cashier at McDonald's anyways, that education? There are some guys who really take their education seriously, opt for challenging majors and do very well there along with their usual football routine. Those guys like Andrew Luck and McElroy aren't giving up education even if you want them to. But let the ones that do not know 10^2 = 100 stay out of education and choose what is best for their talents.

I didn't realize footballo players were only allowed to major in social service and liberal arts. I was under the assumption they could major in what ever they want to. If they were held to higher academic standards, then maybe they would leave with a degree which would actually be useful later on in life.

May be he is ready for the NFL, may be he isnt. Let him decide what is best for him. And you mooks (I am looking at you JDouble) worrying about how letting 19 year olds will lead to more busts, injuries and suits on NFL. Those kids made their choice what they want to pursue. Yes they have higher chances of getting injured, but why would that make a good case to sue against NFL?

Not sure what a mook is, but I never raised any concern about more busts, injuries, or suits.....so get your facts straight before you rant. They've made their decision huh? They know what they are getting into? Sure, cause at 18 you fully understand the ramification behind all your decisions right? Gimme a break. You wanna start letting 18 year old kids into the NFL....but I'm the idiot?

I don't see any damn logic there.

I agree. Your entire rant was pointless and had zero logic.

I already mentioned that the ones that really take both football AND education seriously most often finish their degrees and graduate OR at least make sure they come back to finish it later on. No one is stopping them from doing so.

But you become an idiot when you do not acknowledge what 90% of these college football players are. Football players that play for a college. Not college students that like to play football. Most of them are pretty much auditioning for NFL and could care less about education and grades. Even if they all of a sudden become focused, they lack a foundation to process any information fifth graders cannot. If you want to bring up the debate about education here, focus on the bigger issue where schools get very lenient and give adequate grades to these kids when they don't put the work in to graduate out of high school, let alone qualify for college.

Now you do acknowledge it as a serious problem in later posts, but still can't figure out who the real culprits are. It is the Colleges, NFL, NBA and other major leagues that don't give two **CENSORED**s if an athlete is academically bright enough or not. But can we really argue if they are wrong in ignoring it? They just want athletes, plain and simple. At the end of the day, it is the parents and the kids who are responsible for their own destiny just like in any other family. If they see more financial potential in ignoring quality education and pursuing sports, more power to them. There is nothing wrong about an 18 year kid's future being in risk because of the choices he and his parents made in the past, it is only natural it happens. Deny it as a hypocrite idealist all you want, but that is the practical truth.

So I'll ask you again, what the **CENSORED** is Clowney going to achieve by spending another year in college and studying what ever bull **CENSORED** degree he is "pursuing"? He won't even finish the degree before going to the NFL.

Now coming to the commitment part of the argument which you hint, but many others directly bring up. How many of us are really really committed to the jobs we do? May be a lot, but not when millions are on the line like it is for Clowney.  A lack of commitment towards one year of college football does not automatically imply the guy is going to be lazy and will likely show up like Fat Albert Haynesworth to the training camp. Can we just acknowledge that every person is made different and hence thinks different.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#91 : February 16, 2013, 08:11:54 AM

"Can we just acknowledge that every person is made different and hence thinks different."

Sounds like a brilliant idea. Probably shouldn't start off by referring to anyone with a different view as an idiot.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#92 : February 16, 2013, 09:05:03 AM

Not if you don't know how to use the money AJ - and with salary scale the days of a huge contract, which were always limited to a few players at the top, are over. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#93 : February 16, 2013, 01:40:19 PM

Again, I don't see why it is the schools fault if a guy gets a big contract and blows it all.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#94 : February 16, 2013, 05:24:22 PM

Pick the year of schooling which explains how one handles money and blame them.  Kids coming up from destitute situations will not be prompted or prepared, so schools need to fill in the blank.  Since Universities take the most advantage of athletes disguised as students they should make certain money management is effectively taught.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#95 : February 16, 2013, 10:14:08 PM

Pick the year of schooling which explains how one handles money and blame them.  Kids coming up from destitute situations will not be prompted or prepared, so schools need to fill in the blank.  Since Universities take the most advantage of athletes disguised as students they should make certain money management is effectively taught.

There are plenty of money management people out there.  I know a guy who is close to the Janaris Jenkins family..  Even before he was drafted,  he had a whole team of people in place to handle the financial affairs, and PR management.   So the point is, these guys don't need to have high intelligence at all.  Just surround yourself with smart people you can trust.  Remember Dexter Manly?  IIRC, he was found out , not even knowing  how to read.  After being pretty successful in the NFL.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#96 : February 17, 2013, 07:00:33 PM

and he's probably broke now

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#97 : February 18, 2013, 07:12:22 AM

Isn't that what the rookie symposium is for ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#98 : February 18, 2013, 10:21:54 AM

honestly, how many players are do you think are affected by the rookie symposium?  id go out on a limb and say 1 each year.  for the most part if a player has a head on his shoulder then he already knows the info aside from a tidbit here and there.  the players engrained in the culture?  in one ear and out the other.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#99 : February 18, 2013, 10:34:48 AM

Again, I don't see why it is the schools fault if a guy gets a big contract and blows it all.

Its not. However, the average college student does not know how to calculate the interest on their student loan(s).

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#100 : February 18, 2013, 03:40:50 PM

Clowney should take it to court.  On a pro bono deal.   Someday we could have the Clowney rule, if he was successful in the courts.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#101 : February 18, 2013, 03:44:18 PM

Just thinking.....is the same case as Maurice Clerett or was that something else?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#102 : February 18, 2013, 09:06:52 PM

Just thinking.....is the same case as Maurice Clerett or was that something else?

I believe they compare the Clowney situation to the Lattimore one.  And Lattimore actually won his case, only to have a higher court strike down his win.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#103 : February 18, 2013, 09:19:18 PM

There are plenty of money management people out there.  I know a guy who is close to the Janaris Jenkins family..  Even before he was drafted,  he had a whole team of people in place to handle the financial affairs, and PR management.   So the point is, these guys don't need to have high intelligence at all.  Just surround yourself with smart people you can trust.  Remember Dexter Manly?  IIRC, he was found out , not even knowing  how to read.  After being pretty successful in the NFL.
If one exits a college with a degree and the inability to handle money it would be criminal.  Retaining assistance in investing is one thing, but unknowing and inability to understand - unacceptable. 

Its not. However, the average college student does not know how to calculate the interest on their student loan(s).
And that is criminal.

jmvho

Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clowney would go #1 this year, and will be #1 next year, so should he sit out? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools