Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Bucs might as well hang onto Orlovsky. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 15, 2013, 12:02:52 AM »

Who's better than Dan Orlovsky?

February, 14, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Right after the regular season ended, Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano caused a bit of a stir when he said he’d like to bring in some competition for quarterback Josh Freeman.

Any time there’s talk of movement at the quarterback position, people tend to get excited. But, as I look at the crop of free-agent quarterbacks, I can feel my pulse slow. Aside from Joe Flacco, who is not going to get out of Baltimore, there’s absolutely nothing to get excited about.

Byron Leftwich? Josh Johnson? Luke McCown? Bruce Gradkowski?

They’ve all cycled through Tampa Bay once, and the Bucs don’t need to take a step back.

Matt Leinart? Brady Quinn? David Carr?

They’re all busts, high draft picks that have turned out to be nothing more than backups.

Is there any potential free agent out there that really would be much of an upgrade over current backup Dan Orlovsky?

The only two guys I’m seeing that intrigue me (just a little) are Jason Campbell and Matt Moore. I thought Campbell never really got a fair shake in his Washington days. Moore’s not going to wow anyone. But when he’s had the chance to play in Miami and Carolina, he’s shown some intangibles. Given the right circumstances, I think Campbell and Moore would at least have a shot at succeeding if they ended up as a starter.

There’s no doubt the current list of free agents will grow as teams release players before the start of free agency. And there could be some decent quarterbacks available via trade (Alex Smith?). The draft also is an option, but this isn’t the best year to be looking for a quarterback.

This will play out in time, and like I said, the pool could get deeper. But, for right now, the Bucs might as well hang onto Orlovsky.

bamabucs

Starter

« #1 : February 15, 2013, 03:31:12 AM »

Agree with that article even though I find Pat Y to be a misinformed moron in general. Alex Smith is the only QB we could acquire that would really really push Freeman and he wont come any cheaper than a 2nd round pick. There is no other QB in the market capable of pushing Freeman to the bench and taking over the starter's job no matter how bad Freeman is playing.

Orlovsky belongs to the group of QBs like Nick Foles, Shaun Hill, Matt Moore, Chris Redman, Drew Stanton etc who in the past have shown enough to keep you hopeful they can win with talented players surrounding them against the doormats of the NFL. There is no sense in getting rid of one and acquiring another in that group.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 15, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »

Orlovksy has no intention of being a starter though. He's just a guy who is happy to collect big money from the NFL without caring about his success.

A QB like that is great if you had a solid franchise QB, but if you're looking for a guy to push the starter, you need someone who spends every moment of every day wanting to be the starter.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 15, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »

Agree with that article even though I find Pat Y to be a misinformed moron in general. Alex Smith is the only QB we could acquire that would really really push Freeman and he wont come any cheaper than a 2nd round pick. There is no other QB in the market capable of pushing Freeman to the bench and taking over the starter's job no matter how bad Freeman is playing.

Orlovsky belongs to the group of QBs like Nick Foles, Shaun Hill, Matt Moore, Chris Redman, Drew Stanton etc who in the past have shown enough to keep you hopeful they can win with talented players surrounding them against the doormats of the NFL. There is no sense in getting rid of one and acquiring another in that group.

I was thinking about the same. Except I believe just about any QB would do well with this surrounding offensive group.

Dan O wouldn't play any better than freeman in it, but that's only because his talent level being 2nd rate in the NFL. Now, if freeman fails, and they bring in an established pocket passer somehow, or draft Johnny football, this offense will be slightly better (consistant mostly) or downright dominate.

Freeman is a good QB though and I think he will prove some of those doubters wrong if the pass defense pretends to give a fudge once in awhile.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 15, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »

Orlovsky stinks. Why keep a stinky player around?

Go get someone less stinky.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 15, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »

This. Dan the man sux!

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 15, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »

This. Dan the man sux!

Were talking about a backup. You damn sure don't go after Alex smith for that reason.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 15, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »

dan the man is a baller.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : February 15, 2013, 08:10:30 PM »

1.5 million a year to watch - perfect job

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 15, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »

1.5 million a year to watch - perfect job

Nice work if you can get it....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 15, 2013, 09:37:26 PM »

Dan is fine for now.  But after the season,  different story.  If Free falls flat, I assume they will draft someone with their number 1 draft pick.  Or pick up a free agent QB.

If Free was to go down during the season, Dan would be ok.  In fact he would help the team get closer to the top of the draft, for Johnny Football or Bridgewater.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #11 : February 15, 2013, 10:55:51 PM »

"The Bucs might as well hang Orlovsky."

I think we can just replace him. No need to hang the guy.

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 15, 2013, 11:02:42 PM »

At the start of the offseason I don't want to hear the phase "might as well".

He is no where good enough to challenge Free so there for he is replaceable.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #13 : February 15, 2013, 11:54:51 PM »

I was thinking about the same. Except I believe just about any QB would do well with this surrounding offensive group.

Dan O wouldn't play any better than freeman in it, but that's only because his talent level being 2nd rate in the NFL. Now, if freeman fails, and they bring in an established pocket passer somehow, or draft Johnny football, this offense will be slightly better (consistant mostly) or downright dominate.

Freeman is a good QB though and I think he will prove some of those doubters wrong if the pass defense pretends to give a fudge once in awhile.

One has NOTHING to do with the play of the other. I dont understand how you correlate the two.

bamabucs

Starter

« #14 : February 16, 2013, 05:13:11 AM »

Okay so who do we bring in to replace Orlovsky then? Except for Alex Smith there is no clear cut upgrade to him. Draft one? I am not completely opposed to the idea as long as it isn't another prospect with erratic mechanics and suspect accuracy like Glennon and Bray.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Bucs might as well hang onto Orlovsky. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools