Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My thoughts on Free Agency « previous next »
Page: 1

MalcolmsPotofGold

Starter

: February 15, 2013, 10:51:46 PM

I want to start this off by saying that I don't post much, but I do read this forum multiple ties every day. I don't watch that many games other than Bucs' games, so I don't know that much about all of the potential free agents other than what I read from the members here and other football sites, which I am assuming is how most other people get their knowledge too. That being said, it seems to be the consensus (or close to it) amongst fans that the team has to make a "big splash" and spend a lot of money again in free agency in order to be successful. Right after our season ended I tended to agree with that train of thought, but as I have read the reviews and poster opinions about the potential free agent class (specifically at corner back), I have started to doubt that we will be big players in Free Agency, and would be somewhat satisfied. The reason is that I don't really think there is a big splash to be made. Last year we signed the best free agents available at their respective positions, but they were also considered among the, if not the, top at their position in the entire league. This year the obvious position of need is corner, but the class is hardly impressive. Its loaded with old men, players who never quite lived up to their potential, attitude problems, and mediocre players with "potential." Again, this all coming from other peoples opinions from watching these people play, not my own. I know the team needs help in the defensive backfield, but do we really want to tie up a bunch of cap room in mediocre players now, and potentially miss out on a great player that hits the market in years to come (like a Jimmy Graham next year, hypothetically). That being said, the third player we signed last year was a mediocre corner, and we paid him $35 mil. And, while I hope Dominik would learn from that mistake, it wouldn't surprise me if he did overpay this year for someone he normally wouldn't because he feels his seat getting a little warm.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My thoughts on Free Agency « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools