Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reports of Wright's demise may have been premature, as were Talib's in 2011 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: February 16, 2013, 12:00:50 AM

2013 NFL Free Agency: Buccaneers should keep Eric Wright

By Sander Philipse on Feb 15, 4:25p 

Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

For months now, it appears to be a done deal: Eric Wright will be let go by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After a mediocre first season, marred by small injuries and a four-game PED suspension, the Bucs must have seen their investment in Eric Wright as a poor one. After all, he was costing them upwards of $7 million per year and had just received $15.5 million in guaranteed money.

But all that doesn't change a rather simple fact: he's still the Buccaneers' best cornerback, and is actually pretty good at his job. Cutting Wright would make the team worse, pure and simple. He's a pretty good cornerback who's probably a little overpaid. But looking at cornerback contracts around the league, finding a cornerback just as good at a lower price point in free agency is not going to be easy. And it's not like the Bucs have to make harsh decision to fit under the cap: they have one of the best cap situations in the NFL.

And there's a bit of evidence to suggest that the Bucs aren't planning on releasing him: he's still with the team. If they were truly through with him, they would have released him as soon as they had the chance. It seems that the reports of Wright's demise may have been premature, as were reports of Aqib Talib's demise in 2011.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/2/15/3993336/2013-nfl-free-agency-buccaneers-should-keep-eric-wright

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 16, 2013, 02:01:50 AM

If there is a god, talib and wright will both stay distant memories.

Psych

Starter

#2 : February 16, 2013, 02:47:09 AM

he didn't play well in Detroit and he didn't play well when he came here.  he isn't worth the money he's being paid either. Good riddance

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 16, 2013, 07:20:06 AM

Awful. Simply Awful. This article is evidence of why my interest never stuck at bucsnation. NOTHING Wright has done in his career has proven him to be a "pretty good CB". The guy is a DUD, and there are enough off the field issues to make one nervous about whether or not he will stay on the straight and narrow and actually be a positive veteran influence. Sure, getting another CB will be just as pricey..if not a few million more..but at least you will be getting value for the $ that is being put in. If the FO does not take advantage of the excellent opportunity to make up for a huge mistake and have their hands clean salary-wise...then that will telling in why this franchise has had personnel issues/deficiencies during Dominiks entire tenure. The "he is the best CB in the roster" argument is another BS statement. At the end of the '09 season, one could have said the same thing about MC80 being the best WR on the team...so does that mean that an upgrade should not be found and that you should just live with below average?? HELL.NO.
: February 16, 2013, 07:22:59 AM chace1986

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 16, 2013, 08:20:40 AM

If there are no trade offers, I expect us to hold on to him until we sign his replacement, either thru free agency or the draft. Until we land a couple CBs,  he is simply insurance. We gain nothing by cutting him early.

Draft Aaron Donald

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 16, 2013, 08:38:01 AM

If there are no trade offers, I expect us to hold on to him until we sign his replacement, either thru free agency or the draft. Until we land a couple CBs,  he is simply insurance. We gain nothing by cutting him early.

Insurance for what? He's terrible. No one is gonna tread for a guy who is a stupid off the field and lousy on it. Again, people seem to fotrget the pass defense was 32nd before Talib got suspended and Wright got suspended.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 16, 2013, 08:45:02 AM

He's insurance in case a worse case scenario happens and all the top free agent CBs sign elsewhere. Wright does suck, I can't stand him as a person and as a player he is average at best....but in a worst case scenario he is a better option to start than anyone else on our roster. There is nothing to be gained by cutting him before we need to, so you don't cut him until, he has been replaced. Pretty simple.

Draft Aaron Donald

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 16, 2013, 08:48:10 AM

He's insurance in case a worse case scenario happens and all the top free agent CBs sign elsewhere. Wright does suck, I can't stand him as a person and as a player he is average at best....but in a worst case scenario he is a better option to start than anyone else on our roster. There is nothing to be gained by cutting him before we need to, so you don't cut him until, he has been replaced. Pretty simple.

I don't think he's better than anyone else on our roster. I think he's about the same as everyone else on our roster AND he can't be trusted to be on the roster in the fall so why build any plans around his low level of suck? Sure if this was Revis with a problem you play nice and see if you can "help him". Wright isn't worth the trouble.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 16, 2013, 08:49:55 AM

He is not insurance. It's not like we are lining up to play games in March-April. He is not better than Leonard Johnson, Gaitor, or Gorrer. We are gonna need at least 2-3 more CBs come this offseason...and it will be hard to not find 3 CBs that will be an upgrade over Wright. Hell, even signing Biggers to a minimal contract would be the same as keeping Wright. I say dump them both.

Sign a top CB, a mid range CB, and draft a CB with one of the first 3 picks. Then Gaitor and Johnson can have good value as rotational players.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 16, 2013, 08:54:35 AM

Keeping him could also deter the mid-level FAs from coming to Tampa. Guy like C. Williams, Toler, Houston, McKelvin, K. Lewis..they all could see that Wright is on the roster and think that the opportunity here may not have them getting as much PT since the #2 CB from last year is still on the roster.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 16, 2013, 08:54:37 AM

Sign a top CB, a mid range CB, and draft a CB with one of the first 3 picks. Then Gaitor and Johnson can have good value as rotational players.

I believe this is the plan, but things don't always work out like you plan. I get that you don't think Wright is any better than Biggers, Gaitor, or Gorrer....but most would disagree with you. Until we execute our plan and have those three new CBs on the rostor, Wright stays put because he is the veteran starter and would be an option if all else fails. Ad again....we gain absolutely nothing by cutting him before we need to.

Draft Aaron Donald

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 16, 2013, 08:55:46 AM

Keeping him could also deter the mid-level FAs from coming to Tampa. Guy like C. Williams, Toler, Houston, McKelvin, K. Lewis..they all could see that Wright is on the roster and think that the opportunity here may not have then getting as much PT since the #2 CB from last year is still on the roster.

If anyone doesn't want to come here because they are afraid of Eric Wright, and don't believe they can beat him out....then we don't need that player.

Draft Aaron Donald

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 16, 2013, 09:01:26 AM

I believe this is the plan, but things don't always work out like you plan. I get that you don't think Wright is any better than Biggers, Gaitor, or Gorrer....but most would disagree with you. Until we execute our plan and have those three new CBs on the rostor, Wright stays put because he is the veteran starter and would be an option if all else fails. Ad again....we gain absolutely nothing by cutting him before we need to.

You forgot to add LJ to the list of CBs that Wright is not better than. Wright was awful last year. He has never been anything but "barely average". He may be a veteran, but he does not provide veteran leadership, and he absolutely should not be an option next year. Worst case scenario, IMO, is bring in a few more UDFAs to play CB, not having Wright back.

We gain cap space, open roster spots for potential FAs, and we get rid of yet another imbecile. 

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 16, 2013, 09:08:15 AM

Keeping him could also deter the mid-level FAs from coming to Tampa. Guy like C. Williams, Toler, Houston, McKelvin, K. Lewis..they all could see that Wright is on the roster and think that the opportunity here may not have then getting as much PT since the #2 CB from last year is still on the roster.

If anyone doesn't want to come here because they are afraid of Eric Wright, and don't believe they can beat him out....then we don't need that player.

I wouldn't call it a "fear" of Wright. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if guys like C. Williams, Toler, Houston, McKelvin, K. Lewis, hadn't seen much from Eric Wright's play/tape...but they did see that he got a FAT contract last year and that he missed some games because of injury/suspension. That contract could carry a perception that he is better than he actually is. Same thing happened with Davin Joseph in '11. Davin was completely dreadful last year and had his worst year as a starter...yet he made the pro-bowl. Perception that he was a top G was fueled by the BIG payday he received...and not his play on the field.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 16, 2013, 09:17:11 AM

Wright won't be back nothing to panic about.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reports of Wright's demise may have been premature, as were Talib's in 2011 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools