Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 a make-or-break season for Freeman and Sullivan both. « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 16, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »

Today in NFC South history

February, 15, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

It was precisely one year ago today that Mike Sullivan was formally introduced as Tampa Bay’s offensive coordinator.

As he spoke to the media, Sullivan explained what lured him away from a comfortable job as quarterbacks coach of the New York Giants.

“I will be honest with you, it was the attraction to work with a special talent like Josh Freeman,’’ Sullivan said as he formally was introduced to the media at One Buccaneer Place.

One year later, it’s obvious Sullivan’s work isn’t done.

There were moments when it looked like Sullivan was getting the most out of his quarterback. Freeman finished the season with a franchise-record 27 touchdown passes and had 4,065 passing yards. But Freeman was intercepted 17 times, including back-to-back four-interception games during a five-game losing streak late in the season.

After the season, coach Greg Schiano said he still believes Freeman has the talent to take a team to a Super Bowl, but implied that he’d like to bring in another quarterback as competition.

That makes 2013 a make-or-break season for Freeman. And you can probably say the same thing about Sullivan.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 16, 2013, 07:28:57 AM »

No PY. You could not "say the same thing" about Sullivan. Go back to what you do well...writing slurp-tastic Saints posts.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 16, 2013, 04:09:43 PM »

And what's really funny, is that brees throws up ints all the damn time. 17 ints is chump-change for him.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 16, 2013, 10:19:37 PM »

No PY. You could not "say the same thing" about Sullivan. Go back to what you do well...writing slurp-tastic Saints posts.

Agree.  Sully has built up some cache in the league.  If Freeman was to flame out this season,  Sully could land a gig fairly quickly.  He already has done HC interviews.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 16, 2013, 10:31:22 PM »

Sully and freeman are staring at Dom right about now, thinking "pass defense!"

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 16, 2013, 10:44:32 PM »

And what's really funny, is that brees throws up ints all the damn time. 17 ints is chump-change for him.

He also throws the ball 100+ more times than Freeman in a given season.  And he's also, you know, setting most of passing's all-time volume records along the way.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 16, 2013, 11:03:33 PM »

He also throws the ball 100+ more times than Freeman in a given season.  And he's also, you know, setting most of passing's all-time volume records along the way.

Just saying. I don't think any nfcs teams would be shocked if their QB threw 17 ints all season.

It's that bad when freeman does it?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 16, 2013, 11:06:48 PM »

No but it is shocking the way he tosses picks in bunches, goes Jeckyl and Hyde so often and the fact that he tosses for < 55% accuracy is what no other NFL team would find acceptable in their "franchise" QB.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #8 : February 17, 2013, 02:52:33 AM »

There is truth in what you say dal, but really, the team was so lopsided in terms of passing offense vs passing defense, it's hard to blame freeman for pushing harder than he should have. I don't care what schiano and Co told him, it had to be at the back of his mind.

He knew, before ever stepping foot on the field, that if he didn't out-score whoever they played, they would lose. Quite a load considering all of the new stuff around him.

Setting franchise records while, no one believes in him, everyone around him is new, including the system and his main RB and WR, and a defense that allowed him to have the ball plenty of times, but only because they were scored on quickly once again suggests to me that we have our future qb, we just need to use him properly and create a more solid passing defense to maintain a scoring advantage when we actually have one.

Have freeman run the ball more in combo with a few fakes now and again, then fix this apathetic passing defense and I believe the bucs have a damn-good team.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 17, 2013, 12:49:52 PM »

There is truth in what you say dal, but really, the team was so lopsided in terms of passing offense vs passing defense, it's hard to blame freeman for pushing harder than he should have. I don't care what schiano and Co told him, it had to be at the back of his mind.

He knew, before ever stepping foot on the field, that if he didn't out-score whoever they played, they would lose. Quite a load considering all of the new stuff around him.

Setting franchise records while, no one believes in him, everyone around him is new, including the system and his main RB and WR, and a defense that allowed him to have the ball plenty of times, but only because they were scored on quickly once again suggests to me that we have our future qb, we just need to use him properly and create a more solid passing defense to maintain a scoring advantage when we actually have one.

Have freeman run the ball more in combo with a few fakes now and again, then fix this apathetic passing defense and I believe the bucs have a damn-good team.

I don't know why that is not part of his game already.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 17, 2013, 01:02:01 PM »

No but it is shocking the way he tosses picks in bunches, goes Jeckyl and Hyde so often and the fact that he tosses for < 55% accuracy is what no other NFL team would find acceptable in their "franchise" QB.

Andrew Luck and the Colts say hi.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #11 : February 17, 2013, 01:02:46 PM »

I don't know why that is not part of his game already.

Seems to me at lest one coach would say something to him, right?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 17, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »

...and Luck would scare the hell out of me if he was my QB. He got by on a lot of 2010 style Freeman miracles and regression to the mean is a harsh mistress as Josh found out. That said, he's still a rookie and Josh is a 4th year player so the comparison is a lot apples to oranges.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #13 : February 17, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »

A decent defense can make a difference between 7 wins and 11 wins...........and missing or making the playoffs.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #14 : February 17, 2013, 01:23:15 PM »

A decent defense can make a difference between 7 wins and 11 wins...........and missing or making the playoffs.

Which is way I **CENSORED** so much about passing defense. Freeman or any other QB in this league would not make it beyond the first playoff game with the bucs current pass d.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 a make-or-break season for Freeman and Sullivan both. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools