Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Re-signing Talib may be worth the risk for Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 16, 2013, 12:05:01 AM »

Re-signing Talib may be worth the risk for Bucs

Posted Feb 15, 2013 by Roy Cummings

BY ROY CUMMINGS
 Tribune Staff

TAMPA –

Every NFL blogger and his brother seems to have a suggestion for how the Buccaneers should fill their help at cornerback but I’ve yet to see anyone suggest a solution that seems almost obvious.

Aqib Talib.

If the objective is to get the best player possible with the most upside, then why wouldn’t the Bucs at lest consider re-signing Talib, who is arguably the top corner available in free agency.

Sure, there is an inherent risk that comes with signing Talib, and it may well be that the Bucs are glad to finally be rid of the incessant migraine that he has a tendency to be.

But there is an inherent risk, an unknown, that comes with the signing of almost any free agent and in the case of Talib, the Bucs know precisely what it is they’d be getting.

This is a player the Bucs groomed, after all, one who should just now be entering his prime and who “did everything’’ Bucs coach Greg Schiano asked of him, at least on the field, during his brief time here last year.

Those are plusses and so is the possibility that Talib grew a little, at least as a player and possibly as a man, during his time working for the Patriots and no-nonsense coach Bill Belichick.

Throw in the fact the Bucs will almost certainly minimize any financial risk they would take in signing Talib by structuring the deal in a way that strips him of his guarantees should he foul up again, and this seems like a risk worthy of investigation

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 16, 2013, 12:28:09 AM »

retarted idea.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

« #2 : February 16, 2013, 12:30:31 AM »

I hope it happens.

The true problem with Talib is his health.

He has had nagging problems with a thighs, hamstrings, and  groin.

Often he has played hurt,, but it has affected  his overall performance.

Were the Bucs to re-sign him, I am sure these problems would be thoroughly investigated.

And there is always Keenan Lewis.  Richard Sherman named Lewis as the 4th best corner in the league.

swamp_bats

Starter
« #3 : February 16, 2013, 12:33:57 AM »

I will never understand why "experts" seem to think that Talib is some great young corner in the NFL. All I can ever remember about his whole career here was that if a big time receiver had a huge game against the Bucs it was always Aqib giving up all the highlights... I miss Brian Kelly.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 16, 2013, 12:47:44 AM »

I hope it happens.

The true problem with Talib is his health.

He has had nagging problems with a thighs, hamstrings, and  groin.

Often he has played hurt,, but it has affected  his overall performance.

Were the Bucs to re-sign him, I am sure these problems would be thoroughly investigated.

And there is always Keenan Lewis.  Richard Sherman named Lewis as the 4th best corner in the league.

Agree with that.  Forget the character concerns.  Dude was made of glass it seemed like.  And his stint with the Patriots did nothing to change my mind.  He was dinged up there also.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 16, 2013, 01:53:11 AM »

Resigning talib...? hmmm..Well, there are some positives.

He would know his place, be a lot cheaper, and he's still good enough to give this team depth.

I say depth, because even if I were to re-sign him, he would be earning his keep and I would have two solid starters sitting in front of him. He wouldn't want to come back if I were coach

Knowing Schiano, he's not about to resign that turd though, so this whole discussion is moot. Schiano stuck his neck out for him and talib held the razor knife to it.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #6 : February 16, 2013, 08:22:37 AM »

Our local sports media is such a joke.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 16, 2013, 08:29:55 AM »

All else aside, Talib can't stay on the field. Injuries, suspensions, etc...The guy has missed significant playing time every year dating back 3 years. Good player not great, but just not dependable to stay healthy.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #8 : February 16, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »

I will never understand why "experts" seem to think that Talib is some great young corner in the NFL. All I can ever remember about his whole career here was that if a big time receiver had a huge game against the Bucs it was always Aqib giving up all the highlights... I miss Brian Kelly.

So much this, in a season of awful pass defense he gave up the most yards to a single WR in NY. The only guy he could lock down was, for whatever reason, Roddy White other than that he got lit all the time.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 16, 2013, 08:36:29 AM »

Schiano probably has a better book on him than any other FA out there."The evil you know is better than the evil you DON'T know"...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #10 : February 16, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »

Yeah. Lets bring an idiot with health problems(been saying this since the Ravens game v the Bucs) who isn't that good back onto the team and things will be just like last year!  Great. SMH.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #11 : February 16, 2013, 11:37:50 AM »

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein.

Pretty much sums up my opinion on bringing back Talib.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #12 : February 16, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein.

Pretty much sums up reading tribune articles and expecting them to suddenly be good.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #13 : February 16, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »

-Albert Einstein.

Pretty much sums up reading tribune articles and expecting them to suddenly be good.

That's true.

danimal09

Starter

« #14 : February 16, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »

Not my favorite idea for obvious reasons. But I can't help but smile if we got a fourth from the Pats then signed our guy back. Don't get me wrong overall I would be pretty upset with this move especially if we don't get a better FA CB but then I also can't deny he is an upgrade over the pile of trash we have at CB.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Re-signing Talib may be worth the risk for Bucs « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools