Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Meteor explodes over Russia, injures over 1,000 « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: February 16, 2013, 02:42:56 AM

MOSCOW (AP) A meteor streaked across the sky and exploded over Russia's Ural Mountains with the power of an atomic bomb Friday, its sonic blasts shattering countless windows and injuring about 1,100 people.

The spectacle deeply frightened many Russians, with some elderly women declaring that the world was coming to an end. Many of the injured were cut by flying glass as they flocked to windows, curious about what had produced such a blinding flash of light.

The meteor estimated to be about 10 tons entered the Earth's atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of at least 54,000 kph (33,000 mph) and shattered into pieces about 30-50 kilometers (18-32 miles) above the ground, the Russian Academy of Sciences said in a statement.

Amateur video showed an object speeding across the sky about 9:20 a.m. local time, just after sunrise, leaving a thick white contrail and an intense flash.

"There was panic. People had no idea what was happening," said Sergey Hametov, a resident of Chelyabinsk, a city of 1 million about 1,500 kilometers (930 miles) east of Moscow.

"We saw a big burst of light, then went outside to see what it was and we heard a really loud, thundering sound," he told The Associated Press by telephone.

Lessons had just started at Chelyabinsk schools when the meteor exploded, and officials said 258 schoolchildren were among those injured. Amateur video footage showed a teacher speaking to her class as a powerful shockwave hit the room.

Yekaterina Melikhova, a high school student whose nose was bloody and whose upper lip was covered with a bandage, said she was in her geography class when a bright light flashed outside.

"After the flash, nothing happened for about three minutes. Then we rushed outdoors. I was not alone, I was there with Katya. The door was made of glass, a shock wave made it hit us," she said.

Russian television ran footage of athletes at a city sports arena who were showered by shards of glass from huge windows. Some of them were still bleeding.

Other videos showed a long shard of glass slamming into the floor close to a factory worker and massive doors blown away by the shock wave.

The vast implosion of glass windows exposed many residents to the bitter cold as temperatures in the city were expected to plummet to minus 20 Celsius (minus 4 Fahrenheit) overnight.

http://news.yahoo.com/meteor-explodes-over-russia-1-100-injured-175838744.html

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 16, 2013, 10:22:34 AM

It's time to ban meteors ....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 16, 2013, 01:27:29 PM

lol

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 16, 2013, 03:52:02 PM

there's a little vinbucfan in a few poster's heads . .  . quess who they are . . . ;)

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 16, 2013, 04:23:29 PM

look who couldn't wait to reply with his ever present smiley face.  do you carry some of those with you in real life too?

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 16, 2013, 04:28:03 PM

its cramped in here   :D

who would have thought a meteor had anything to do with guns . . . oh wait . . . .it doesn't.  lol.

: February 16, 2013, 04:29:57 PM VinBucFan

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 16, 2013, 05:02:38 PM

Did anyone say Vinny's name in this thread  ?? No , no one even mentioned the infamously stupid Peanut Butter Boy.  I wonder why he is setting up ghosts to argue against  ??

;) :) :D ;D 8) :P :) ;) :D ;D 8)

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 16, 2013, 05:09:44 PM

Did anyone say Vinny's name in this thread  ?? No , no one even mentioned the infamously stupid Peanut Butter Boy.  I wonder why he is setting up ghosts to argue against  ??

;) :) :D ;D 8) :P :) ;) :D ;D 8)

uh .. .  .. . .  yeah . . . . you know a thing or two about setting up ghosts . . . lol

ok, back to meteors .......

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 16, 2013, 07:05:42 PM

Yes , they are dangerous . Someone must ban them.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 16, 2013, 07:17:38 PM

look who couldn't wait to reply with his ever present smiley face.  do you carry some of those with you in real life too?

lolz

PeanutButterCheeseBoy is in people's head about as much as Morgana, Chrispy, Schultz, or any other dips*** that got made fun of incessantly.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 16, 2013, 07:28:55 PM

lolz

PeanutButterCheeseBoy is in people's head about as much as Morgana, Chrispy, Schultz, or any other dips*** that got made fun of incessantly.

ROFLMAO     . . irony . . . drip . . . drip . . .drip

all the more funny since you apparently don't even understand . . . .

man, thanks for the laugh

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 16, 2013, 07:47:03 PM

lolz

man, thanks for illustrating my point.   :) ;) :D ;D :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

(Pssst....you....are....a...dork)

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 16, 2013, 08:06:26 PM

lolz

man, thanks for illustrating my point.   :) ;) :D ;D :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

(Pssst....you....are....a...dork)

Psst   . . . . . he actually posted all of that  . . . . ABOUT ME . . .  in a thread that has nothing to do with ME. But wait . .  there's more . . . .  he doesn't get the (obvious) irony . .  . . wait . . wait .. wait . . .  AND CONTINUES TO POST. . . .  including . .  . wait, wait wait . . .  that it's HIS point that is being illustrated

ROFLMAO

(Buggsy, you never fail to make me laugh. I hope your mom never takes your computer away)

now . .  back to meteors .  . . .lol

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 16, 2013, 08:19:02 PM

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 16, 2013, 08:34:48 PM

lol

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Meteor explodes over Russia, injures over 1,000 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools