Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mayock Rankings « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

lowlife

Starter

#30 : February 19, 2013, 12:30:03 PM

Here is a round up of Mayocks comments today. Mostly crazy talk imo, but I do agree with this gem....

"I wouldn't want a top-10 pick in this draft. The fifth pick and the 25th pick are very similar."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140157/article/mike-mayock-tyrann-mathieu-a-fourthround-prospect?campaign=Twitter_atl

Couple things left out....he says Bjoern Werner is not a top 10 pick, but Cincinnati DE Walter Stewart is a top 10 pick....even though everyone and there mom has that kid as a 7th round prospect and he doesn't look special on tape at all. I'm usually on board with Mayock, but he has some real head scratchers this year.

is he smoking crack? who in the hell is walter stewart? i have literally never heard his name before. mayock is usually good but my god. there isnt a single draft site that doesnt have werner in the top 10. when everyone tells you that youre drunk, maybe youre drunk. when everybody says a player is a top 10 and you are the only one that doesnt, maybe youre wrong.

Or maybe he's the only one that's right.

A consensus is hardly an indicator of future NFL success

lowlife

Starter

#31 : February 19, 2013, 12:33:28 PM

I think Logan Ryan is more of a zone player. Don't think he really fits what we are doing.

Also, I have zero interest in Te'o. Zero. I hope Schiano feels the same.

This team runs a lot of zone...
From what I've seen, Schiano runs variations on a cover-3 zone blitz scheme. Of course there are the plays he calls cover zero or vanilla 2 man under, but people seem to only remember those plays because of the burned coverage and then extrapolate that into being the entire scheme for some reason.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#32 : February 19, 2013, 12:56:37 PM

I think Logan Ryan is more of a zone player. Don't think he really fits what we are doing.

Also, I have zero interest in Te'o. Zero. I hope Schiano feels the same.

This team runs a lot of zone...
From what I've seen, Schiano runs variations on a cover-3 zone blitz scheme. Of course there are the plays he calls cover zero or vanilla 2 man under, but people seem to only remember those plays because of the burned coverage and then extrapolate that into being the entire scheme for some reason.

QFT.  Good post.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 19, 2013, 01:13:42 PM

I realize we also run zone, but that isn't were we struggle. We struggle when we try to play man and get torched. Solid zone corners are much easier to come by than shut down man cover corners. There are several available in FA and in the middle of the draft. Plus Johnson and Gaitor looked pretty good in zone....so my point is why spend the 13th overall pick of the draft on a zone corner? If the player isn't a shut down man coverage guy, then it seems like a foolish pick imo. If we need more zone corners (which we don't) then take a pass rusher or an OT at 13 and get a zone CB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 19, 2013, 01:15:37 PM

I realize we also run zone, but that isn't were we struggle. We struggle when we try to play man and get torched. Solid zone corners are much easier to come by than shut down man cover corners. There are several available in FA and in the middle of the draft. Plus Johnson and Gaitor looked pretty good in zone....so my point is why spend the 13th overall pick of the draft on a zone corner? If the player isn't a shut down man coverage guy, then it seems like a foolish pick imo. If we need more zone corners (which we don't) then take a pass rusher or an OT at 13 and get a zone CB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Who is saying Logan Ryan (the CB you were referring to in Lowlife's post) should be selected @ 13?  He's a second/third candidate.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 19, 2013, 01:19:59 PM

My bad. I was referring to Banks. Didn't reread the whole quoted conversation and didn't realize Ryan was the player of topic.

With Logan Ryan, I think he'd be a fine pick in the 3rd. I'm not sure how much better another average zone corner will make us, but he's a good kid. I'm just not sure how big of an impact he would have.

When I watch Logan Ryan tape, I don't see him in man coverage much, but when he is I see him get beat off the line quite often and I don't see him look back and play the ball. Last thing we need is another Biggers.
: February 19, 2013, 01:27:50 PM JDouble

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 19, 2013, 01:26:51 PM

Here is a round up of Mayocks comments today. Mostly crazy talk imo, but I do agree with this gem....

"I wouldn't want a top-10 pick in this draft. The fifth pick and the 25th pick are very similar."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140157/article/mike-mayock-tyrann-mathieu-a-fourthround-prospect?campaign=Twitter_atl

Couple things left out....he says Bjoern Werner is not a top 10 pick, but Cincinnati DE Walter Stewart is a top 10 pick....even though everyone and there mom has that kid as a 7th round prospect and he doesn't look special on tape at all. I'm usually on board with Mayock, but he has some real head scratchers this year.

is he smoking crack? who in the hell is walter stewart? i have literally never heard his name before. mayock is usually good but my god. there isnt a single draft site that doesnt have werner in the top 10. when everyone tells you that youre drunk, maybe youre drunk. when everybody says a player is a top 10 and you are the only one that doesnt, maybe youre wrong.

Very fair point. If the "consensus" was always right, there'd never be a Pro Bowl player drafted after pick #15. The scouts miss good players all the time. However, if you're going to take a flyer on a late round player who could blossom, you're generally better off doing it with some sort of underclassman who is still developing, like how true junior Charles Johnson ended up being the best 4-3 DE in the class of 2007. Walter Stewart is a redshirt senior. I'm not sure how much you can play the card he is still developing.
: February 19, 2013, 01:49:39 PM Feel Real Good

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 19, 2013, 01:37:29 PM

fair point but i highly doubt hes the correct one here. if everyone else has a redshirt senior as a 7th then hes probably tapped out. you cant say he doesnt get good coaching because they just a DL go in the 2nd last year to the broncos and that guy could have been a late 1st rounder. he could be the next jason taylor but i dont think so. most likely hes going to be mr irrelevant and end up irrelevant.

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

#38 : February 20, 2013, 06:34:18 PM

I was just watching some stuff on Stewart and I actually liked him. Though I don't know about being a top 10 talent. The injury is also a concern.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 04, 2013, 07:15:32 AM

New Mayock rankings

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000146289/article/combine-alters-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 04, 2013, 08:05:58 AM

New Mayock rankings

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000146289/article/combine-alters-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft

Shariff Floyd is Mayock's new #1 tackle....I wonder if the only reason he mentions him is because he's a Gator....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 04, 2013, 08:59:52 AM

New Mayock rankings

Shariff Floyd is Mayock's new #1 tackle....I wonder if the only reason he mentions him is because he's a Gator....

probably because Floyd is an animal and had a great combine. kinda odd that he limited players to 1 category. i think lotulelei has a better future are a 4-3 DT than 3-4 DE. kinda odd

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#42 : March 04, 2013, 09:57:45 AM

Easy to see that in those rankings there is going to be a good player at 13, counting that a guard and QB get drafted before the Bucs I see 11 players out of the OT's and on defense that would be good.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#43 : March 04, 2013, 12:22:27 PM

I hate almost all the players in this class.
LOL

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#44 : March 07, 2013, 07:58:16 PM

Mayock's newest rankings. EJ Manuel is now the #2 QB in the draft. Heard him talking about it on NFL network. He said he doesn't like this year's QB crop, but if he's going to make a mistake.....he's going to make a mistake with the guy who has all the physical skills you could want. Exactly how I feel. I don't think there is a QB in this draft worth a 1st round pick, but if I'm taking one it's going to be EJ simply because he has the most upside.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000147681/article/mike-mayock-elevates-ej-manuel-in-2013-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings

I know everybody hates EJ and all, but he's ranked #5 by Walters Football, #3 on Draft Countdown, #2 by Mayock, and #1 by Draft Nasty.....so I'm not completely insane.
: March 07, 2013, 08:39:19 PM JDouble

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mayock Rankings « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools