Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Favorite Buccaneers player from the 1980's? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 17, 2013, 08:18:42 PM

Top 4

Paul Gruber (obvious)

James Wilder - Could have been a mega star with a good team

Mark Carrier - Rare pro-bowler in a sad era

Rickey Reynolds - Very solid and under valued player and very nice guy.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 17, 2013, 08:36:17 PM

Top 4

Paul Gruber (obvious)

Good list

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#17 : February 17, 2013, 08:36:44 PM

Tough question for some since many posters here only became Buc fans in 2002-3.

in before deletion

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 17, 2013, 08:48:06 PM

Top 4

Paul Gruber (obvious)

Good list

Thanks...  Thanks to the OP too, this is a fuun thread.

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 17, 2013, 10:08:46 PM

FanOfKit great list. I really liked Ricky Reynolds too. I had his jersey in high school.

Oracle

Starter

#20 : February 18, 2013, 02:35:34 AM

Deberg was my favorite.   That guy could ball.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 18, 2013, 09:21:06 AM

Kevin House anyone ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 18, 2013, 01:14:10 PM

Ricky Reynolds on D, James Wilder on O.

DeBerg wasn't drafted in the 80s, btw.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 18, 2013, 01:17:41 PM

Jimmy Giles wasn't drafted in the 80's, but he was a damn fine NFL player in the 80's, making 4 Pro Bowls.  He deserved to be in this thread as much as anyone else.

fthrud

Practice Squad

#24 : February 18, 2013, 03:59:25 PM

Gruber and Wilder are obviously near the top...but I'll buc the trend and suggest Randy Grimes for playing the entire decade. Eight year starter probably played more games than any Buc in the '80's and was the sole stable factor in the middle of a revolving door offensive line. Always seemed a nice guy (unless you wore a Bears/Packers/Vikings uniform), and appears to have conquered his post play pain medication problems.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 18, 2013, 04:11:41 PM

I love Gruber and understand he was drafted in the late 80's, but I really don't consider him a 'player of the 80's'.  He played the majority of his career in the 90's.

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 18, 2013, 04:59:51 PM

Gruber and Wilder are obviously near the top...but I'll buc the trend and suggest Randy Grimes for playing the entire decade. Eight year starter probably played more games than any Buc in the '80's and was the sole stable factor in the middle of a revolving door offensive line. Always seemed a nice guy (unless you wore a Bears/Packers/Vikings uniform), and appears to have conquered his post play pain medication problems.

Awww man, you stole my number 5.  I was gonna say add him to my list this afternoon.  Gotta agree, Bubba deserves to be on this list.  I still have a card of his framed, because he was on of my favorite players.  I still remember what he said when Iggy got into trouble in a bar somewhere in Tampa - " Even my huntin' dogs have more sense than to go in there." (paraphrasing, to the best of my memory.)

Kevin House is a good mention, but I (wrongly) though he was drafted in 79.  Giles was also a good call, but I was working under the premise of 80's draft picks. 

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 18, 2013, 05:08:39 PM

By the way, can anyone confirmthis, but if I remember correctly, didn't Randy Grimes have the dubious distinction of never playing on a winning team?  I know in the NFL, he never did, and I seem to remember he was on some bad teams in Baylor and even high school.  I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that story.  If true, what a shame, such a good individual player stuck on bad teams.

fthrud

Practice Squad

#28 : February 20, 2013, 03:37:27 PM

Grimes have the dubious distinction of never playing on a winning team?

Baylor was 10-2 in 1980, including getting clobbered in the Cotton Bowl. Looks pretty grim from that point on...unless you count the strike season, which we shouldn't.

creamsicles

Starter
#29 : February 20, 2013, 04:01:59 PM

ronde ;-)

I remember being a big Kevin House fan... don't remember why, but I was.  I also remember watching Ricky Reynolds in camp and thinking that we hit the jackpot.  I remember my brother loving batman woods... i'm thinking they were the 80s... so long ago.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Favorite Buccaneers player from the 1980's? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools