Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nine bold proposals for improving the NFL « previous next »
Page: 1 2

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 18, 2013, 03:37:24 PM

My opinion on the Rooney Rule is that it is good to have in that it requires teams to interview a diverse range of candidates, which is in the best interest of the teams. By diverse, I don't necessarily mean race, but rather ideas and coaching styles.

That being said, to hire someone based on anything but merit is absolutely ridiculous and not in the best interest of anyone.

Agree 100%

Now,  if only that was the way the league operated, all would be good.

They have the Rooney rule, to try to even the playing field.   It was 1989 before a team hired a black HC in the modern era NFL.   So since the league started in 1920,  they went something like 70 years before Art Shell got hired.  So point is....70 years of discrimination, 23 years of non-discrimination.  So if my math is correct,  we should have another 47 years of the Rooney rule just to even out the wrongdoing prior to 1989.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 18, 2013, 04:16:16 PM

Agree 100%
Now,  if only that was the way the league operated, all would be good.
They have the Rooney rule, to try to even the playing field.   It was 1989 before a team hired a black HC in the modern era NFL.   So since the league started in 1920,  they went something like 70 years before Art Shell got hired.  So point is....70 years of discrimination, 23 years of non-discrimination.  So if my math is correct,  we should have another 47 years of the Rooney rule just to even out the wrongdoing prior to 1989.

in a vacuum, sure.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 18, 2013, 04:25:25 PM

The Rooney rule doesn't prevent the owners from hiring the most qualified person. It has nothing to do with who gets hired. All it does is give minority candidates an opportunity to interview and earn the job.  Worked for Tomlin.

gone

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 18, 2013, 05:28:54 PM

The only people who think the Rooney Rule does a damn thing are people who have never been in the position of hiring someone.  And, no, it didn't "Work for Tomlin". 
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nine bold proposals for improving the NFL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools