Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Microsoft is really going down hill now « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: February 18, 2013, 01:59:05 PM

Microsoft sparked a lot of anger when it suggested that you will be unable to play used games on the Xbox 720.

Now apparently for their 2013 Office suite, the license will be tied to ONLY the computer it is installed on. In other words if you pay for their office suite, and your computer crashes. You will have to pay AGAIN to get it on the new computer. You can no longer transfer the license to a new computer like with previous versions.

Now you might see people starting to move to other options.... OpenOffice? Google Docs? LibreOffice?

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236818/Office_2013_retail_licensing_change_ties_suite_to_specific_PC_forever

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#1 : February 19, 2013, 03:57:23 PM

I don't care if they go down hill. They really took a giant **** on customers from MS Office 2007 to now. Its like they changed everything so you have to learn it all over again. Microsoft isn't the only one with such practice. It sucks for PS3 fans that they can't play their PS2 games on that consule. Its not like these games are $5 - $10.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 19, 2013, 07:25:39 PM

From what I've been told the backwards compatibility issues with the console gaming system is more to do with the hardware. Games are designed specifically for the hardware of the system and the CPU architecture in order to milk out every ounce of performance possible. As opposed to PC gaming where it's more tied to the operating system and therefore you tend to run into comparability issues once in a while. Therefore it is difficult for a new console to come out with backwards compatibility unless they include separate chips. And that's just not cost-effective.

But rumors are that Sony may have found a workaround to this and that the PS4 might be backwards compatible to a point. But there is no confirmation of this yet.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 19, 2013, 10:16:30 PM

at the office I use MS but outside of there I use a mix of open office and google docs on my PC and Quick Office Pro and Google Docs on my tablet.  There is really almost no reason to buy an office suite at this point in time.  I have almost no compatibility issues saving from one format to another via the various apps and programs

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 20, 2013, 07:47:55 AM

My xbox 360  got the red ring of death within weeks of buying it.  Trying to get it resolved was a complete run-around and I gave up. I've sworn off Microsoft ever since.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#5 : February 20, 2013, 01:12:29 PM

PS3......home of the free internet/multiplayer.

-RROD sufferer

royixx

Practice Squad

#6 : June 03, 2013, 12:35:47 AM

I agree with dalbuc , there is really almost no reason to buy an office suite  ;)
--royixx

freddy

Hall of Famer
#7 : June 03, 2013, 11:42:55 AM

In regards to Office 2013, I think MS's intention is to actually reduce the number of people buying hard copy licenses.  Instead, they want people to subscribe to the product. You can get 5 licenses for Office Premium for $99 a year or a single hard copy of Office professional (same apps) for $399 per copy.  The average family has 3-5 computers in the house.  3 copies of Office would cost $1197.  For that same amount, you could have subscribed to 5 copies for almost 12 years.

Not defending MS or their products, just putting out the rest of the story.
: June 03, 2013, 11:44:34 AM Freddy

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#8 : June 03, 2013, 03:25:54 PM

Looks like the public outcry has caused MS to change it's tune

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-restores-transfer-rights-for-retail-office-2013-copies-7000012200/   

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 05, 2013, 02:16:39 PM

Google will eventually destry them

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#10 : June 06, 2013, 03:32:10 AM

Google will eventually destry them
Google is going to be a reality check for a lot of companies soon. Either lower your rates or your out of business.
I like Googles plan for Google Fiber, roll it out slowly and force companies like Time Warner to offer better packages or lower rates. When your paying 70 dollars for 1gb down and up compared to the same price for 30 MB down and 5 up, something is wrong.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 07, 2013, 07:30:13 AM

I don't even use Microsoft office anymore. I've never been limited using googles free docs services

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Microsoft is really going down hill now « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools