Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Da-Quan Bowers Arrested « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18

Sailing2smth

Starter

#165 : February 19, 2013, 06:17:43 PM

Yes, he did get arrested for having a firearm in LGA.  There is no disputing that at all and I am sure the guy feels horrible about it.

The point I am trying to make is that people on this and other threads...not specifically you...are calling this guy out his name.  In a lot of states throughout America this is not a crime and maybe (again, not the guy on the ground, I do not have eyes on target) perhaps he was asking for advice of what to do which is what sparked the situation.  Speculation on my part but thats par for the course.

Should he have known all gun laws in which he was transporting his firearm, yes.  As a responsible gun owner he should have done his research to avoid this outcome as each state law varies gun ownership and and gun rights'.  I am not a gun activist but I do believe in my 2nd amendment right to bear arms.  But its a catch 22 because there are people with CCP's that I would not trust with a butter knife.  Yet they followed protocol and laws to own. 
So I guess in some way I believe in reform for those that wish to own but have no idea the responsibility it takes to own which can never be taught especially at the age of ownership because its too late.

Point is I was not the guy on the ground nor was anyone else on PR boards so lets go off the established record DE Bowers has and draw our conclusion from good soldiering rather than an untested tribulation.

Sir, I implore you....please take that sound sober logic elsewhere...you are single-handedly destroying the very fabric of a Red Board discussion!

noted  :)

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

#166 : February 19, 2013, 07:03:13 PM

I saw some idiots calling Bowers a "thug" because he was carrying a gun. I carry a gun 95% of the time, I am as far from a "thug" as you could imagine.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#167 : February 19, 2013, 10:07:48 PM

A big black guy with a gun. Thug? Hmm, I wonder what in the world those people were thinking.....

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#168 : February 19, 2013, 11:00:40 PM

So much for doing the right thing. Buccaneers DE DeQuan Bowers travels to NY from NC. WHile in NY he realizes he has a loaded pistol in his carry-on. A registered pistol that he forgot to leave in SC. He brings the mistake to the Airlines attention rather than go through security and get caught.

For his honesty Bowers gets arrested. and charged with a felony. Where is the common sense in Law Enforcement. I guess it's just another notch for the NYPD. We got another athlete.

Yes Bowers was stupid. but was it a crime. That's a grey area IMO.

My bigger question would be how did Bowers get from SC to NY? Did he fly and if he did, why wasn't the weapon found then.

Walking into LGA with a firearm definitely shows his ineptitude in regards to the issue. If I am travelling anywhere and thinking about taking my pistol with me, I am making damn sure I know the basics of what my allowances are when I get there, and if its worth even taking it with me. Should he be punished for ineptitude? Probably not....but did his ineptitude lead him to break the law? Seems that is the case. He very well may get off with a slap on the wrist, and hopefully he(and others) learn from this...wouldn't hold my breath though.

This is really reminds me of the Orlando woman last year that flew to Baltimore. She realized in flight and pointed the discretion out upon arrival in MD. She was arrested but later charges were dropped.

Cerious

Hall of Famer

#169 : February 20, 2013, 01:18:06 AM

A big black guy with a gun. Thug? Hmm, I wonder what in the world those people were thinking.....

wow dude, really?

gone

Hall of Famer
#170 : February 20, 2013, 01:41:36 AM

Apparently it is an "undue burden" in the eyes of liberals to expect a black man to have a photo ID, but it is perfectly reasonable to expect him to be familiar with all 50 states' firearms " laws"

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#171 : February 20, 2013, 06:15:08 AM

Unfortunately, gun-totters don't realize that owning a firearm has responsibilities such as knowing where you can and can't bring weapons.  Might need to administer an I.Q. test along w/ the background check to keep mouthbreathers like yourself from owning a weapon.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#172 : February 20, 2013, 07:17:40 AM

As much as I don't agree with the law and I like Bowers, a law is a law and has to be followed, ignorance is no defence.
They are out there for all to see & it's not like he was trying to carry on a bottle of Pepsi, it was a gun and ammo, it's his reponsibility to make sure he's following the letter of the law.
If he simply "forgot" he had it that's just as bad if not worse IMO, one of the main rules for gun ownership is knowing where your weapon is and storing it safely, if he "forgets" where his guns are that implies he isn't a responsible owner. and shouldn't have a gun at all.
It's not like misplacing your housekeys, this is a weapon.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#173 : February 20, 2013, 07:42:32 AM

Apparently it is an "undue burden" in the eyes of liberals to expect a black man to have a photo ID, but it is perfectly reasonable to expect him to be familiar with all 50 states' firearms " laws"

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#174 : February 20, 2013, 08:43:29 AM

As much as I don't agree with the law and I like Bowers, a law is a law and has to be followed, ignorance is no defence.
They are out there for all to see & it's not like he was trying to carry on a bottle of Pepsi, it was a gun and ammo, it's his reponsibility to make sure he's following the letter of the law.
If he simply "forgot" he had it that's just as bad if not worse IMO, one of the main rules for gun ownership is knowing where your weapon is and storing it safely, if he "forgets" where his guns are that implies he isn't a responsible owner. and shouldn't have a gun at all.

Well said.

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler

#175 : February 20, 2013, 09:05:02 AM

As much as I don't agree with the law and I like Bowers, a law is a law and has to be followed,

You clearly have never took a college ethics class.  People that think like you are scary.  It was legal in some places to perform genocide.  That doesn't make the law just.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#176 : February 20, 2013, 09:12:44 AM

While I agree with you for the most part, I still cannot bring myself to believe that DQB committed a CRIME.

CRIME: an action or an instance of negligence that is deemed injurious to the public welfare or morals or to the interests of the state

We have overpopulated jails as it is. Let's reserve jail ONLY for people who cause harm (rather intentionally or not, directly or indirectly) to others.

It seems that it is almost easier to end up in a cell than not these days. I'm okay with them charging him since statutorily he committed an offense. But, if the DA does anything but throw this out, it will be a complete joke and a travesty. To attempt to convict would be nothing more than a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Dude realized his stupidity and was forthcoming. He owned the gun legally. He had zero ill intent. So, why would we throw him in jail?

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#177 : February 20, 2013, 09:14:41 AM

As much as I don't agree with the law and I like Bowers, a law is a law and has to be followed,

You clearly have never took a college ethics class.  People that think like you are scary.  It was legal in some places to perform genocide.  That doesn't make the law just.
Really, you are going to compare this to genocide?
As I said and you quoted, I don't agree with the law BUT if something is the law you have to expect to be punished if you don't follow it.
If this wasn't the case what is the purpose of having laws, we might as well just let individuals decide what is right and wrong.
I guess the world should be all...
"I don't recognise you laws regarding murder."
"Ok, in that case you're free to go and don't forget to collect your semi automatic you used to gun down 15 people, have a nice day."

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#178 : February 20, 2013, 09:17:28 AM

While I agree with you for the most part, I still cannot bring myself to believe that DQB committed a CRIME.

CRIME: an action or an instance of negligence that is deemed injurious to the public welfare or morals or to the interests of the state

We have overpopulated jails as it is. Let's reserve jail ONLY for people who cause harm (rather intentionally or not, directly or indirectly) to others.

It seems that it is almost easier to end up in a cell than not these days. I'm okay with them charging him since statutorily he committed an offense. But, if the DA does anything but throw this out, it will be a complete joke and a travesty. To attempt to convict would be nothing more than a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Dude realized his stupidity and was forthcoming. He owned the gun legally. He had zero ill intent. So, why would we throw him in jail?

While I agree with every word of your post, intent is not built into this law. If you legally own a gun and walking into a 7/11 without showing it, no one is going to accuse you of armed robbery, no intent. That is not the case in the burroughs of NY. It's stated very clearly, you are in direct violation of the law if you have a handgun on your person without the proper permit which is specific to those 5 burroughs ONLY. He meant no harm and had no intention of doing anything wrong. Regardless he did commit the crime of having a gun without proper permit.

I would assume he is no longer a part of this team until otherwise noted.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler

#179 : February 20, 2013, 09:17:59 AM

Really, you are going to compare this to genocide?
As I said and you quoted, I don't agree with the law BUT if something is the law you have to expect to be punished if you don't follow it.
If this wasn't the case what is the purpose of having laws, we might as well just let individuals decide what is right and wrong.
I guess the world should be all...
"I don't recognise you laws regarding murder."
"Ok, in that case you're free to go and don't forget to collect your semi automatic you used to gun down 15 people, have a nice day."

You stated "a law is a law and has to be followed".  The point was not every law should be followed.  There are laws that are just and unjust.  Bowers is looking at 3.5 years minimum in prison if he gets the wrong DA, all because he did the right thing.

That makes a law unjust.  Unjust laws should not blindly be followed.  There should be a demand and a protest for common sense.
Page: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Da-Quan Bowers Arrested « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools