Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: BUCS BOWERS BUSTED ON WEAPONS CHARGE « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 18, 2013, 10:27:24 PM

it is nearly impossible to get a permit for a firearm in NY. From what I was able to read, permits are only issued by law enforcement themselves. Nothing like here in Florida. Most likely registered to him here or back home. We will find out more tomorrow for sure. The question I have is how the heck did he get it through security into NY when he arrived?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 18, 2013, 10:29:11 PM

The law to keep guns off planes isn't dumb , per se , but the level of punishment is.

Bowers is not a menace to society , he's a guy who made a dumb mistake. He doesn't deserve to go to jail for ANY amount of time.

This precisely. Fine the guy to give hi
m a "reminder" for the future but he's obviously not a danger and had no ill intent.  This isn't a jailable offense. Heck, I'm betting people who mug you in NYC don't get mandatory 3.5 years.
What if Bowers was a menace?  Cannot read intent. Some upright citizens just snap sometime. But I agree in your premise.

Also that mugger would get 10 years if he mugged you with an illegal firearm. Or legal.

Regardless, I am hoping it is registered for NY, but I highly doubt it. Sounds like he just forgot, or was too ignorant to know better.  He might be in some serious shlt.

We read intent all the time. American law is built on use of intent to categorize crimes. The stupidity of all zer tolerance laws is not trying to discern the difference between "crimes".

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#32 : February 18, 2013, 10:32:46 PM

I've been reading that he may have been travelling legally until he got to NY where the laws are much stricter.  Also, his gun was only "loaded" in the sense that the ammunition was in the same bag.  The bullets were not in the gun, but by NY law it's still considered loaded. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 18, 2013, 10:33:46 PM

He can plea deal it down.  But Plaxico did that and still did 20 months.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 18, 2013, 10:33:57 PM

Nearly impossible 🔳?  You can get one fairly easily as long as your not a felon, and can pass a background check. Which if your not a felon, is rather easy.

In NY what is nearly impossible is evading the harsh reality that is the draconian and poorly reviewed gun laws if busted. Leniency is not a familiar term in cases involving firearms. Part of me is in agreement. Guns are serious business. Can't just say "oops!" In regards to handguns (in particular). Not in NY. Anyway.

Of course, mistakes do happen. As we have witnessed in such matters.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#35 : February 18, 2013, 10:34:33 PM

it is nearly impossible to get a permit for a firearm in NY. From what I was able to read, permits are only issued by law enforcement themselves. Nothing like here in Florida. Most likely registered to him here or back home. We will find out more tomorrow for sure. The question I have is how the heck did he get it through security into NY when he arrived?

How indeed. And why state it that late in the game? Not to mention, it was loaded?

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 18, 2013, 10:38:06 PM

The law to keep guns off planes isn't dumb , per se , but the level of punishment is.

Bowers is not a menace to society , he's a guy who made a dumb mistake. He doesn't deserve to go to jail for ANY amount of time.

This precisely. Fine the guy to give hi
m a "reminder" for the future but he's obviously not a danger and had no ill intent.  This isn't a jailable offense. Heck, I'm betting people who mug you in NYC don't get mandatory 3.5 years.
What if Bowers was a menace?  Cannot read intent. Some upright citizens just snap sometime. But I agree in your premise.

Also that mugger would get 10 years if he mugged you with an illegal firearm. Or legal.

Regardless, I am hoping it is registered for NY, but I highly doubt it. Sounds like he just forgot, or was too ignorant to know better.  He might be in some serious shlt.

We read intent all the time. American law is built on use of intent to categorize crimes. The stupidity of all zer tolerance laws is not trying to discern the difference between "crimes".
again, agree with you in most part, if not entirely. But as you said...zero means zero. Not even a little bit of sense can be applied. Tragic, but it is black and white. Harsh, but there. DQB is a dummy for not investigating the matter more thoroughly. It is not a light issue in today's day and age. DQB has a Vic20 brain.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 18, 2013, 10:38:08 PM

per Holder the gun went in his checked bag to NY. He placed it in the wrong bag on the way back and tried to correct his mistake.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 18, 2013, 10:40:54 PM

Well...this will certainly shed more light on the gun laws in NY. Unfortunately, it will do nothing with the way gun control issues are headed...

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
#39 : February 18, 2013, 10:46:05 PM

Ok bad info. The info was from one of the pro-gun nut sites Sorry.. However it still is much more difficult than here in Florida. Below are some of the basics. What I am saying highly, highly doubtful it was registered by Bowers in Florida.

Pistol license application follow the following outline:

Obtain an application from your local licensing agent, either the local police or county clerk.

Fill in the application and obtain any required character references signatures and have your application Notarized.

Be fingerprinted and submit your application.

Wait while you are being investigated and your fingerprints are sent to the FBI.

After your fingerprints are returned from the FBI and the investigation is completed your application is normally sent to your county's Pistol License office and then forwarded to licensing officer for review and decision. (Depending on what the county that you live in requires, you may have to take a safety class and you may have to meet with the licensing officer. Some counties also have additional requirements.)

The paperwork will be returned to the Pistol License office and they will send you a letter informing you of the outcome.

If approved, you will have to go to the required location to have your license validated by putting your thumbprint on the back of  your license.  You will also be given a slip to give to the owner of the handgun that your are transferring to your license.

Using your new license you can go to the store an pick up your first handgun.  Give them the Purchase Slip and they will retain the slip for their records.

You are now a legal handgun owner in New York State.

I just filled out an app at the store. Waited three days then picked it up. Didn't do fingerprints or FBI as best as I can remember.

: February 18, 2013, 10:48:11 PM PewterReportMC

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#40 : February 18, 2013, 10:53:27 PM

The optimist in me would like to think that the DA or Judge would look at the facts (at least as we know them so far) and realize that this is not a case to make an example of.  This is not like the Plaxico case where someone else could have easily been injured when that firearm went off.  No innocent bystanders were in danger of getting injured.  The bullets were not in the gun, and he voluntarily notified security of his mistake.  Prosecuting this without taking those things into consideration would open the DA's office up to a PR nightmare when the NRA and Foxnews got a hold of it.  Everyone would be much better served by a hefty fine, probation, and some community service.  I'm from NY and would hate to think this is where my tax dollars would be going if I still lived there.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 18, 2013, 10:59:53 PM

Plax pled to the level Bowers is currently charged. Not the same thing.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#42 : February 18, 2013, 11:01:09 PM

Ok bad info. The info was from one of the pro-gun nut sites Sorry.. However it still is much more difficult than here in Florida. Below are some of the basics. What I am saying highly, highly doubtful it was registered by Bowers in Florida.

Pistol license application follow the following outline:

Obtain an application from your local licensing agent, either the local police or county clerk.

Fill in the application and obtain any required character references signatures and have your application Notarized.

Be fingerprinted and submit your application.

Wait while you are being investigated and your fingerprints are sent to the FBI.

After your fingerprints are returned from the FBI and the investigation is completed your application is normally sent to your county's Pistol License office and then forwarded to licensing officer for review and decision. (Depending on what the county that you live in requires, you may have to take a safety class and you may have to meet with the licensing officer. Some counties also have additional requirements.)

The paperwork will be returned to the Pistol License office and they will send you a letter informing you of the outcome.

If approved, you will have to go to the required location to have your license validated by putting your thumbprint on the back of  your license.  You will also be given a slip to give to the owner of the handgun that your are transferring to your license.

Using your new license you can go to the store an pick up your first handgun.  Give them the Purchase Slip and they will retain the slip for their records.

You are now a legal handgun owner in New York State.

I just filled out an app at the store. Waited three days then picked it up. Didn't do fingerprints or FBI as best as I can remember.
I fail to see that as anything but decent protocol in obtaining a firearm. 

And waiting for a few weeks on a handgun is fine.  What is the rush?  Zombie apocalpyse?  Going to shoot meteors out of the sky?  Once you get that cold steel in your mitts, and you fire that baby...and then you keep it in your home, you feel incredibly safer. 

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler

#43 : February 18, 2013, 11:19:31 PM

Let's not forget it's a whole 'nother crime if his handgun magazine holds over 7 bullets thanks to Der Cuomo.   Depending on the type of gun, a .40 is going to come close.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 18, 2013, 11:25:22 PM

Plax pled to the level Bowers is currently charged. Not the same thing.

Good.  Maybe Bowers can cop a plea to a lessor charge and not do any time.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: BUCS BOWERS BUSTED ON WEAPONS CHARGE « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools