Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Combine 40 times may sway Bucs most important draft-day decision « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#60 : February 22, 2013, 04:38:36 PM

Height and weight is a very important and overlooked aspect of the combine. Guys can often be much shorter than their listed college height and 20lbs lighter or heavier. I think on certain prospects it is very important to not only see what there measurables are, but to see them in the embarrassing underwear "mug shot" too so they can see how they are carrying the weight.

A guy like Dion Jordan for example. Is he really 6'6" 240lbs? If he comes in at 260lbs, is it water weight or is he really carrying that much muscle? If he comes in at anything less than 240lbs....can you even draft him? That stuff matters a lot I think.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#61 : February 22, 2013, 06:42:33 PM

I guess that's why the NFL continues to use the 40 and make all prospects run it... because they aren't as smart as the smart people on this message board. LOL

I know I'm gonna regret responding to this but nevertheless....

The NFL is a BUSINESS hence the marketing of up-and-coming players is done in a very strategic and controlled way. They are in the process of opening up the combine to become an even bigger fan event because they understand the revenues and exposure hasn't been maximized from this event as yet...this is not difficult to understand.

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#62 : February 22, 2013, 07:53:33 PM

I guess that's why the NFL continues to use the 40 and make all prospects run it... because they aren't as smart as the smart people on this message board. LOL

The NFL is a BUSINESS hence the marketing of up-and-coming players is done in a very strategic and controlled way. They are in the process of opening up the combine to become an even bigger fan event because they understand the revenues and exposure hasn't been maximized from this event as yet...this is not difficult to understand.

...and I guess that's why every scout , every GM , and  every coach in the entire league show up  in person to watch the 40's also.... because it's a totally meaningless show.

You are right , you should regret making this stupid ass comment.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#63 : February 23, 2013, 12:27:57 AM

...and I guess that's why every scout , every GM , and  every coach in the entire league show up  in person to watch the 40's also.... because it's a totally meaningless show.

My Dad goes to the combine every year.  He was sayin years ago, you might be lucky to see 10 or 15 people there.  This years combine, they issued over 800 credentials.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#64 : February 23, 2013, 08:20:16 AM

Your brain seems to work in a very polarized manner...either ON or OFF....but in actuality, the world is a little more complex than that.

As pointed out in this thread by myself and others, there are probably some very useful points to the Combine but the 40 ain't gonna tell you what you should probably already know from film. It ain't even scientific due to reliance on a human hand to start the timing!

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#65 : February 23, 2013, 08:35:25 AM

As pointed out in this thread by myself and others, there are probably some very useful points to the Combine

I never said it was the end-all-be-all , I said exactly what you just said. That it's useful and the results do matter as part of an entire evaluation that includes the film. What were you so upset about again ??

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#66 : February 23, 2013, 08:48:35 AM

As pointed out in this thread by myself and others, there are probably some very useful points to the Combine

I never said it was the end-all-be-all , I said exactly what you just said. That it's useful and the results do matter as part of an entire evaluation that includes the film. What were you so upset about again ??

No not upset in the least...this isn't what puts food on my plate....I just think its humorous that you place so much emphasis on an activity that doesn't accurately replicate what a player does on the field.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#67 : February 23, 2013, 08:59:09 AM

No not upset in the least...this isn't what puts food on my plate....I just think its humorous that you place so much emphasis on an activity that doesn't accurately replicate what a player does on the field.

"so much emphasis" ...apparently you view the world as an "on or off" switch.

I was simply said it DOES matter and is part of the overall evaluation.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#68 : February 23, 2013, 09:09:56 AM

LOL....okay....my work is done here.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#69 : February 23, 2013, 09:11:33 AM

Don't argue with him, it only makes it worse. Besides, Doloris is busy pleasuring himself while watching offensive linemen run 40s in their underwear. I'd just leave him alone.

Draft Aaron Donald

Ms Elam

Starter

#70 : February 23, 2013, 09:12:49 AM

Well a300 pound lineman just ran a 4.65 Taurrean Armstead that's some speed draft him

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#71 : February 23, 2013, 09:18:39 AM

Fluker doesn't look nearly as sloppy as I expected.

Draft Aaron Donald

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#72 : February 23, 2013, 09:59:40 AM

He just looked pretty sloppy just now in the agility drill where the coach points thre football in each direction and the player shuffles that way. Very short steps, not going in straight lines. But dude has some long arms.

I've been impressed with Cooper from UNC. Didn't know much about him previously. Obviously we won't be drafting interior OL early enough to draft him, but he looks like a good prospect.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#73 : February 23, 2013, 10:13:23 AM

The best thing I ever heard about the combine drills (can't remember who originally said it) was that the actual numbers don't matter.
You should already have your board pretty much set and all the combine numbers do is make you go back and double check the game tape for something you missed if a guy measures completely different to what you saw.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#74 : February 23, 2013, 10:16:13 AM

He just looked pretty sloppy just now in the agility drill where the coach points thre football in each direction and the player shuffles that way. Very short steps, not going in straight lines. But dude has some long arms.

He did look very awkward in that drill. He was all over the place.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Combine 40 times may sway Bucs most important draft-day decision « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools