Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Combine 40 times may sway Bucs most important draft-day decision « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 19, 2013, 04:40:25 PM

Xavier rhodes' 40 time is probably the most important out of all the cornerbacks...and he isn't even mentioned.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Given his size, and the question as to whether or not he's worthy of being a corner in the NFL is all dependant on his speed.

If he posts a good 40 time, he might be in the top 15 come draft day.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#16 : February 19, 2013, 04:48:20 PM

Let's just draft all slow, unathletic players so we don't have to worry about getting burned by workout warriors.
im in!

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 19, 2013, 05:43:26 PM

I think Rhodes' straightline speed is fine, but I'm worried about his agility. Sometimes it looks like he has decent agility, and other times he looks pretty stiff. I can't really tell based on tape. I would like to see his short area speed numbers.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 19, 2013, 05:46:28 PM

I'd be all for it, JD, but I don't think for a second it would change the relative numbers of more than a couple of players.

Oh I think it would most definitely change everyone's numbers. It would probably take a couple years for scouts to figure out what the new "ideal" times would be. No way guys run 40s, shuttles, and 3 cones as fast in pads as they do in shorts and a tee.

It would give a better idea of their game speed though, and it would also give a more realistic portrait of their skills in the positional drills.

I'd also like to see the 40 changed so that guys line up in a starting position that suits their position. No reason to have WRs and RBs starting with their hand on the ground when they will never do that in a football game.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 19, 2013, 06:01:01 PM

Jdouble is smarter than the entire NFL.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

zsmith22

Starter

#20 : February 19, 2013, 06:12:46 PM

Marquise Goodwin will break the 40 record. Just wait and see

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 19, 2013, 07:11:17 PM

Combine is for the most part, a fan expo. Interviews and such are far more important than 40 times etc. If you don't know who intrigues you as a football player before the combine then you fail as an organization.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 19, 2013, 08:06:24 PM

Xavier rhodes' 40 time is probably the most important out of all the cornerbacks...and he isn't even mentioned.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Given his size, and the question as to whether or not he's worthy of being a corner in the NFL is all dependant on his speed.

Uhh, what'd Ronde run the 40 in again??

Bucs officials have already stated that unless its a 'toss up' between two players of the same skill set, combine results are meaningless.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 19, 2013, 08:14:17 PM

I'm glad they didn't let 40 time cause them to pick Wilson over Martin

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 19, 2013, 08:33:56 PM

Richard Sherman turned out pretty good last season,  he ran a 4.6 or something like that.

Now that the late great Al Davis is gone, hopefully no GM's are at the combine looking for track stars, instead of football players.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 19, 2013, 08:51:35 PM

Richard Sherman ran a 4.54 and Joe Haden ran a 4.57......obviously they both suck.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 19, 2013, 08:55:00 PM

Richard Sherman ran a 4.54 and Joe Haden ran a 4.57......obviously they both suck.

Its all about football IQ in my opinion.  Wasn't Stanford Routt some kind of track star?  Look at him now, can't buy a spot in the NFL.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#27 : February 19, 2013, 10:51:13 PM

I'd be all for it, JD, but I don't think for a second it would change the relative numbers of more than a couple of players.

Oh I think it would most definitely change everyone's numbers. It would probably take a couple years for scouts to figure out what the new "ideal" times would be. No way guys run 40s, shuttles, and 3 cones as fast in pads as they do in shorts and a tee.

Of course it would change the numbers; my point is would it change relative numbers? Take player X and player Y. X runs the 40 faster than Y in shorts. Why would we expect Y to run faster than X in pads?

"Football speed" is something different - it's not just adding pads and a helmet to the 40. That's why the combine is a tool, not everything.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#28 : February 19, 2013, 10:56:51 PM

Why 40? I think a 15 yard dash relates more to football speed on defense.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#29 : February 19, 2013, 11:58:27 PM

Uhh, what'd Ronde run the 40 in again??

Bucs officials have already stated that unless its a 'toss up' between two players of the same skill set, combine results are meaningless.

Meaningless for what I'm saying. I'm saying HIS stock will rise in draft, not that the bucs would raise him up their chart.

If Rhodes, with his size and style of play, can somehow put down some aggressive numbers all the scouts will be pointing fingers at him. It would make a world of difference in his world whether or not he runs a 5 flat or a 4.5. A few million differences actually.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Combine 40 times may sway Bucs most important draft-day decision « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools