Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Attorney: “Bowers Will Be Fully Exonerated” « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« : February 19, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »

Attorney: “Bowers Will Be Fully Exonerated”

Sometimes, Joe enjoys the hubris of some. Take attorneys who represent clients. In this case, said attorney is Dennis Coppin, who represents Bucs defensive end Da’Quan Bowers.

Yesterday, Bowers admitted to a US Airways clerk at LaGuardia Airport in Queens he was packing heat in his carry-on bag. This practice is frowned upon by New Yorkers, very much so in fact, and Bowers was slapped with a felony charge and locked up for the better part of Monday.

But in an e-mail to the Tampa Tribune, Coppin declares Bowers will walk away from these proceedings free as a bird, so reports Woody Cummings.

“After a full and fair investigation of the facts and circumstances regarding this registered firearm Mr. Bowers will be fully exonerated,” attorney Dennis Coppin wrote in an email to The Tribune on Tuesday.

That’s much easier said than done. As Joe pointed out yesterday after speaking to a former Manhattan prosecutor and current defense attorney in the Big Apple, Bowers and his counsel are going to have to disco dance through legal hoops for Bowers to walk on these charges.

Just like player agents, Joe is always su**CENSORED**ious of hired-gun attorneys boasting of their client’s innocence. Why? Well, have you ever heard an attorney say of his client, “He was caught with the bloody glove and we are throwing ourselves at the mercy of a jury of his peers for lenience?”

Of course not. Lawyers and agents have agendas, and Joe has no issue with that. Part of said agenda is putting up a desired front.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=83561

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 19, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »

Bucs Could Change Approach To Bennett

Joe talked to oily yet very cordial superagent Drew Rosenhaus this morning, but Rosenhaus said he won’t comment on Michael Bennett’s contract negotiations with the Bucs, or anything related to Bennett. So that leaves Joe to speculate.

Given the fresh legal troubles of Da’Quan Bowers, who could get sacked big time by New York City courts, it’s reasonable to wonder whether that situation will affect the Bucs’ approach to re-signing Bennett. He’ll be on the open market in 21 days if the Bucs don’t ink him to a new deal or tag him as a franchise player before the March 4 franchise deadline.

Joe has to think Bowers’ gun shenanigans won’t radically change the Bucs’ plans but will at least make them a little more likely to franchise Bennett. They simply can’t afford to lose Bennett for 2013. Per BSPN, Bennett played a stunning 84 percent of defensive snaps, and every Bucs fan knows he played well. The Bucs aren’t good enough or deep enough to wave goodbye to Bennett. Plus, they have the cash to spend.

While the franchise tag would cost the Bucs in the neighborhood of $10.5 million for 2013 – and inflated rate for Bennett – it at least lets them avoid guaranteeing Bennett $20 million over, say, three years, which is likely what he’d be seeking in a new contract.

Joe has no clue how this might shake out, and Joe couldn’t press Rosenhaus into any hints.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=83549

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 19, 2013, 07:37:16 PM »

Crown our ass.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #3 : February 19, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »

The attorney that comes out and says "yea my client is very possibly looking at prison time" probably won't have many more clients.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

« #4 : February 19, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »

Bucs and Bears: 

We can assume that the attorney that has been picked for Bowers has a considerable background of victories.  Bowers has the money and the team and his agent have the connections to get him the best representation.

So when he says that Bowers will be exonerated, in a way, the attorney  is putting his own credibility on the line. If things should go badly for Bowers, the attorney's reputation will suffer after.such a sweeping statement.

More likely,  Bowers case is sort of routine for Bowers attorney and this probably gives him the confidence  to say Bowers will be exonerated.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #5 : February 19, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »

The attorney that comes out and says "yea my client is very possibly looking at prison time" probably won't have many more clients.

Bowers' attorney isn't the only one saying that.

"If everything we've heard is true, despite New York having the most draconian gun laws in the country, I would be shocked if this case resulted in any incarceration and it might result in no criminal action whatsoever," .....Mark Bederow, a Manhattan defense attorney who is not working on Bowers' case.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 19, 2013, 09:46:44 PM »

If Joe had a clue he'd know that Manhattan is a separate county from Queens.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 19, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »

Joe has no clue

See that. Even Joe realizes this.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #8 : February 20, 2013, 06:30:57 AM »

Bowers' attorney isn't the only one saying that.

"If everything we've heard is true, despite New York having the most draconian gun laws in the country, I would be shocked if this case resulted in any incarceration and it might result in no criminal action whatsoever," .....Mark Bederow, a Manhattan defense attorney who is not working on Bowers' case.

I actually think Bowers walks away from this clean in the end. I was just making the point that attorneys are preprogrammed to say their client is innocent.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 20, 2013, 07:37:01 AM »

But don't attorney's also sometimes advise you plead guilty ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 20, 2013, 08:53:35 AM »

The law in NYC is very clear that you need a special permit to have a gun. Other state permits, hell even other NY permits, are not recognized. Like I said, there is a very good chance Bowers ends up with jail time for this. Minimum is 3.5 years, that's the minimum. He freaking turned himself in, admitting I have a gun. I'm not sure where the wiggle room is. It's as straight forward as it gets. The only hope is that Bowers was indeed trying to do the right thing but to be honest I don't see that mattering.

The road to hell was paved with good intentions.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #11 : February 20, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »

So BucNY, you dont think this is over yet? Interesting. Hopefully he gets off. Sounds like a serious thing there no matter how you slice it.

RiotHeart

Starter

« #12 : February 20, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »

There have been average joes with the same thing happening get off or only serve probation at the same airport. I don't see any jail time.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #13 : February 20, 2013, 12:35:33 PM »

But don't attorney's also sometimes advise you plead guilty ?

Sure. But I doubt they would come out in public and say it.

aquilus

Pro Bowler

« #14 : February 20, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »

Bowers will most likely pay a fine...take some classes...sit a few games out...and be back

Its not like Bowers has had any run ins before this...it was a careless mistake...and one I am not really losing sleep over

To me its just fodder to talk about till the combine starts

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Attorney: “Bowers Will Be Fully Exonerated” « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools