Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roy Miller « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

: February 19, 2013, 09:27:42 PM

This guy was a great part of the rotation and great on run defense. I don't think he helped much in the pass rush. I think we could get him back on the cheap. Should we though?

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#1 : February 19, 2013, 09:30:55 PM

I hope he comes back.  I have heard Schiano talk and it was favorable about Miller. He makes his share of tackles--what he is meant to do.  He seems more valuable than most of the Board give him credit for.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 19, 2013, 10:04:30 PM

Defiantly wouldn't be upset with Miller next year, I think our problem lies more in the secondary. However, were going to have to deal with the Bower's issue now.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 20, 2013, 12:21:11 AM

Being that he is going to be testing the FA waters first, his price will certainly go up.

In that case, I pass and deligate the position to a draft pick or someone schiano /bostad thinks should go. Miller is nothing but a hiderance IMO.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#4 : February 20, 2013, 12:26:34 AM

We should bring him back for depth but we should sign a DT starter first, like Glenn Dorsey, my personal choice. (Well Melton is my fav, but that ain't happening).

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 20, 2013, 12:30:49 AM

I would like to have him back, but only for a reasonable price. Remember we got Gary Gibson who pretty much is the same player.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 20, 2013, 12:35:09 AM

Henry Melton anyone?
Cliff Avril in case bowers is out?

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#7 : February 20, 2013, 12:39:35 AM

Henry Melton anyone?
Cliff Avril in case bowers is out?

There goes most of our cap space. Melton alone would command McCoy $. This isn't madden

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 20, 2013, 12:44:22 AM

4-3 NTs don't really have a noticeable impact. They're not going to get more than 3 sacks usually. There's not a lot of Brad Culpeppers around. I couldn't even you a good ranking of 4-3 NTs. I'd probably see names in there that I haven't heard in my life.

They do make a big difference in the run game though, and I doubt that a rookie will be able to replace him. It takes a while to get settled in at DT and actually start playing consistently well. It'd be good to have someone playing two years in the same system too.

It's not like he's asking for much money, it's probably in the 3 million dollar a year range.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 20, 2013, 01:14:56 AM

Yeah I'd suggest trying to not give him much guaranteed money so we can cut him in a few years if/when we get solid talent. Or heck maybe he develops.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 20, 2013, 07:39:07 AM

Terrance Knighton will be an upgrade anyway. He's coming off a down year with the Jaguars but when healthy is a dominant NT. Miller was good last year but doesn't carry the upside other FA options have.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 20, 2013, 07:44:24 AM

4-3 NTs don't really have a noticeable impact. They're not going to get more than 3 sacks usually. There's not a lot of Brad Culpeppers around. I couldn't even you a good ranking of 4-3 NTs. I'd probably see names in there that I haven't heard in my life.

They do make a big difference in the run game though, and I doubt that a rookie will be able to replace him. It takes a while to get settled in at DT and actually start playing consistently well. It'd be good to have someone playing two years in the same system too.

It's not like he's asking for much money, it's probably in the 3 million dollar a year range.
Brandon Mebane, Darnell Dockett, Michael Brockers, Kyle Williams, and Peko are probably the best 4-3 NT's in the game. I don't have the stats to confirm but based off what I've seen this year and previous years - I'd say. Nevertheless, your point is valid. A lot of times there good work goes unnoticed.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 20, 2013, 08:07:46 AM

I'd only bring Miller back if we also sign another free agent DT that is considered an upgrade. Miller is solid depth and rotation, but I don't want to see him as starter again. I also wouldn't give him anymore than $3M per year.

Whatever we do, I'd like Jesse Williams in the 2nd round or Brandon Williams in the 3rd.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 20, 2013, 08:15:33 AM

We're not gonna be great at all 4 spots on the DL. Miller does a dirty job, he does it well enough. This idea that he should be dropping 6 saacks as year is crazy. We've spent a lot of time and money (assuming we resign bennet and Bowsers isn't itn jail) on 3 DE's and a DT to rush the passer. That should be enough.

He's a guy with a price and that price isn't high but then again no one I stick into that job should carry a big number either - that's what those other 4 dudes are for.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 20, 2013, 08:18:56 AM

We're not gonna be great at all 4 spots on the DL. Miller does a dirty job, he does it well enough. This idea that he should be dropping 6 saacks as year is crazy. We've spent a lot of time and money (assuming we resign bennet and Bowsers isn't itn jail) on 3 DE's and a DT to rush the passer. That should be enough.

He's a guy with a price and that price isn't high but then again no one I stick into that job should carry a big number either - that's what those other 4 dudes are for.

I don't think our NT should get 6 sacks per year, but I would like a NT that can drive the OL back and cause disruption so other guys get sacks. Miller doesn't disrupt anything.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roy Miller « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools