Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: which Buc draft pick AT THE TIME most made you wanna turn in your Pirate Flag « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #30 : February 20, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »

Gaines (rip). There was a lot of talent that draft and we got him.

It's one of the main reasons I wouldn't ever pick his position early. More often than not, many "skill" players get passed because the team has a need.

And imvho, it's OK to draft or FA for need, but it's also even more wise to play conservative and have both skill and need coexist within the same pick. Probably why some mocks have us picking up Te'o. Fills a need and could possibly be BPA (if teams get corner-hungry) by 13.
Gaines Adams was a unanimous top 5 pick. Some mocks had him going to Detroit at #2.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

big_JLB

Starter

« #31 : February 20, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »

i can still remember mayock saying after the bucs traded up in 2009 "...i'm hearing its for either vontae davis, rey malaluga...or josh freeman" 

...with the 17th pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the tampa bay buccaneers select: josh freeman, QB, kansas state

i wanted davis to pair with talib. at the time i thought that would have been SO FRIGGIN DECENT
« : February 20, 2013, 09:34:15 AM big_JLB »

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #32 : February 20, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »

Freeman - I liked the intent behind the pick of finding a franchise QB but I just didn;t see anything from him that made me think he was worth the pick we invested in him. If I remember correctly I was hoping for Clay Matthews (USC homer), Vontae Davis or at worst Percy Harvin from  the guys available.
Caddy - I hated the idea of taking the 3 best back that high considering he was already an injury prone player that split time. I wanted to get either of the 2 top QBs going into the draft if available, meaning Rodgers.
Williams - We could have had Jackson, I actually bust the TV remote throwing it at the wall after this pick.
Adams - I get we needed a pass rush thanks to Rice getting hurt and dropping off big time but I never saw Adams as being worth that type of pick, then again I wanted Okoye the most due to buying into the "next Sapp" hype or Peterson due to my dislike of Caddy as a player.
They are the obvious more recent first round one.

Ruud - Again the USC homer in me hated Ruud and wanted Tatupu or Shaun Cody
Every pick not named McCoy or Williams in the 2010 draft that could have been Greg Hardy, I really wanted that guy (not in that way)
« : February 20, 2013, 10:28:39 AM TBTrojan »

SoberInSac

Second String

« #33 : February 20, 2013, 10:12:59 AM »

I hated the Dexter Jackson pick in the second round. Thought he was a huge risk at the time. We all know how that turned out. He was more scared of contact than Moss. A complete and utter waste.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #34 : February 20, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »

After reading through everyone's post so far, my neck hurts with all the bad memories and head shaking I have been doing.

Having said that, I almost turned in my flag at the Dex Jackson (crApp St) pick, and seriously debated it on the Freeman pick.  The biggest knock on him coming out of college was he had trouble reading defense...bc that gets easier in the NFL.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

« #35 : February 20, 2013, 12:05:34 PM »

Caddy definately, and mostly because of everything that said he wasn't a premier RB, part time but injury prone, lacked breakaway speed, even his highlight reel from college was terrible. Wanted Derrick Johnson mostly who isn't that great but still better, and then Demarcus Ware when the Bucs defensive staff were reported liking him closer to the draft. 

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #36 : February 20, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »

ive certainly been confused by many picks, but the only pick i truly hated was booger mcfarland.  jevon kearse, hometown boy sitting there waiting...and we run warren sapp out of town instead.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

« #37 : February 20, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »

Of course the Caddy thing would not be a consideration if what's his name RB from the Cardinals could have been resigned instead of going to the Bears. Gruden had to get Charlie Garner though for the same amount of money, but that's Gruden for you.

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #38 : February 20, 2013, 12:23:52 PM »

Kenyatta Walker

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #39 : February 20, 2013, 12:24:10 PM »

AND Richie moved up to get him IIRC

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #40 : February 20, 2013, 12:33:35 PM »

lol I hated the Freeman pick! Wanted Percy badly that year. Now that hes here, I hope the best for him and hope hes the franchise. If you follow my posts Im always supporting the guys on the roster and hoping they work out. When you get them right you dont have to correct them!! So even if I dont like a guy coming out Im always hoping he proves me wrong and plays great as a buc. That doesnt make me special or anything, just the way I like to be a fan!

creamsicles

Starter
« #41 : February 20, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »

I'm usually the optimist, but I remember 4 first rounders I highly questioned:
1. Bo- I just don't want a guy who publicly says he won't play for you... even if he came- what type of effort would he give and how would he be in locker room?  I hoped we could trade pick and get a windfall for #1. 
2. Caddy- Questions if he was even the top back on his team... I want a top 5 player to be dominant in his team and conference.  I liked him, but not so high.
3. Clayton- I like my first rounders to either have elite skills or off the charts production... I saw a big, slow guy.  I liked the big... not the slow.
4. Freeman- I was hopeful on his potential, but didn't like trading up for him... wanted to give team the benefit of the doubt, but didn't think anyone really wanted him in mid first round... thought we could have traded down or at least stood pat.... thought Dom showed his inexperience by panicking a bit.  I did appreciate the thought process to pursue a long-term franchise qb.

At the end of the day, I see potential in all of the players selected... there's just several players I think we pick too high... i.e. I would have liked Freeman in the second round or Clayton in the third.... of course, it's really hard to know what other teams are thinking regarding a player's value. 

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #42 : February 20, 2013, 03:57:24 PM »

Booker Reese - 2nd rounder, '82.
Bucs could have had Dan Marino instead of Booker Reese
http://www.bucpower.com/feature-reese.html

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #43 : February 20, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »

I'm generally very optimistic after a draft, but a couple red flags stuck out AT THE TIME:

1. Ray Perkins taking Vinny Testaverde. I wasn't questioning his skill as a passer, but he didn't seem like a Ray Perkins kinda QB. Very lacking in mobility and with a porous O'line, I smelled disaster...

2. Another was Caddy. Just didn't think he was anything special as a RB, neither instincts, speed, or power, and it was known he couldn't block or catch, although he did over the years as a Buc learn.

Looking back, there are many WHAT WERE THEY THINKING moments :o

watson

Hall of Famer
« #44 : February 20, 2013, 04:13:57 PM »

Booker Reese - 2nd rounder, '82.
Bucs could have had Dan Marino instead of Booker Reese
http://www.bucpower.com/feature-reese.html
And IIRC the pick they gave the Bears ended up being Willie Gault and he torched the Bucs for a number of years after that.  I agree Booker was the worst.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: which Buc draft pick AT THE TIME most made you wanna turn in your Pirate Flag « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools